The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Elmonoborracho

Elmonoborracho

Audiophyte
It doesn't "hurt" to have more speakers.

I think Ceiling speakers should be close enough to your ears so you can hear them. If they are too far away, you might not be able to hear them, especially when all the other speakers are playing loud sound.

So the front Ceiling speakers are already installed? They are above the Main Front Left and Right speakers?
No, but there will be a dropped ceiling in the sides and the top front speakers and the top back speakers cannot be placed more in the center.

Look the images attched.This would be my dining room with the 7.2.6 speaker configuration.

Attachments

D

Denx4100

Enthusiast
For many contents, the 14' overhead speaker distance doesn't seem to be an issue.

As for level-matching, of course, we are level-matching only with simple pink noise and with the microphones or SPL meters.

Pink noise from an 8" ceiling speaker vs pink noise from a Big Tower may have the same level when level-matched. But when actual loud complex sounds are played through them, I think there is going to be a difference.

I think there are more variables than I can try to account for. :D

But I do believe the main reason why people have different impressions of the same movies is because our Atmos speakers are all placed differently.

Your experience, and explanation in the last 2 posts has been very interesting! I've been wrestling with this myself. It's one thing to have a system level matched with pink noise, that only has 1 frequency, but when listening to a movie that has a lot more going on that's quite different!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your experience, and explanation in the last 2 posts has been very interesting! I've been wrestling with this myself. It's one thing to have a system level matched with pink noise, that only has 1 frequency, but when listening to a movie that has a lot more going on that's quite different!!!
Yeah, it sounded pretty good when I said that. :D

But I think it simply comes down to adjusting those ceiling speaker levels loud enough so that you can hear the Atmos ceiling speakers.

We cannot control how the sound engineers mix the sounds, especially for Center Dialogue and Atmos. But we can control the sound levels of our Center speaker and Ceiling speakers.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis