The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Which King Kong? I've got the "Hobbit" (Peter Jackson) version with DTS:X. I still haven't watched it yet...too damn long.

Kong: Skull Island in 3D with Atmos was pretty good....
Yeah 2005 Peter Jackson. It is super long and I mostly never have enough time to go through the whole thing. Usually I do chapters 33-36 or so.
Yeah, I really like skull island too. Kong was a I little big imo, but I know they had a reason for that.(can’t remember what they said this now).lol

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
All Peter Jackson:s movies are too long. I'd watch LOTR again except damn.... They are long and some parts go on too long, especially scenes with flipping Frodo and Sam practically making out they sob so much about how hard it is to carry a ring.... And I have the extended DTS 6.1 versions....even longer.

The sad thing is I prefer the extended scenes to the whiny crap they left in. What happens to the Christopher Lee's character? You don't know in the regular one, but spend 30 minutes watching some woman cry over her father and Sam cry over Frodo wanting to quit and elves go on and on about how humans suck or whatever.... Nope. Don't want to watch it.

The only "long" movies I don't mind being long and would probably watch even longer extended versions if they were available are the Harry Potter movies. That universe is so much more pleasant. You wish you could have gone to Hogwarts too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I re-watched Terminator Salvation the other day with NeuralX.

I heard plenty of cool overhead sounds. This movie should sound great in Atmos or DTSX. But if not, oh well, at least the NeuralX upmixer works great in this movie —— once again like so many movies.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
OK, I just watched three Atmos movies....

I started with "IT" (2017). I have to say for a movie about a "clown" (not really a clown I suppose),it was actually pretty good. The Atmos use was FANTASTIC. Loads of overhead sounds.

Then I watched "Overlord" again (from the middle seat 2nd row this time). I have to say the rear speaker use was a bit disappointing (sporadic compared to the rest, but fine when used). But otherwise, there's loads of use of the other locations including overhead (still love that baseball hitting the ceiling).

Then I watched "A Quiet Place". What a cheesy movie. No back story, just some hard to read (without pausing) bits on the wall about indestructible "dark angels" (no bullet or bombs affected them).
Only to find out at the end that a simple feedback sound knocks them out and a shotgun while they're listening works wonders?
I'm calling BS on the entire story, but the SOUNDS in Atmos were AWESOME (especially overhead, where there was TONS of it in certain places where they're hiding under something or at a different level, etc.)

Really, I think "IT" should be on someone's top 20 list.... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, I just watched three Atmos movies....

I started with "IT" (2017). I have to say for a movie about a "clown" (not really a clown I suppose),it was actually pretty good. The Atmos use was FANTASTIC. Loads of overhead sounds.

Then I watched "Overlord" again (from the middle seat 2nd row this time). I have to say the rear speaker use was a bit disappointing (sporadic compared to the rest, but fine when used). But otherwise, there's loads of use of the other locations including overhead (still love that baseball hitting the ceiling).

Then I watched "A Quiet Place". What a cheesy movie. No back story, just some hard to read (without pausing) bits on the wall about indestructible "dark angels" (no bullet or bombs affected them).
Only to find out at the end that a simple feedback sound knocks them out and a shotgun while they're listening works wonders?
I'm calling BS on the entire story, but the SOUNDS in Atmos were AWESOME (especially overhead, where there was TONS of it in certain places where they're hiding under something or at a different level, etc.)

Really, I think "IT" should be on someone's top 20 list.... ;)
I thought Pet Sematary Atmos was great, but I haven't seen "IT" in Atmos yet.

I need to check out both IT and Quiet Place in Atmos.

I kind of figured "Quiet Place" wouldn't have much Atmos sounds. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Probably a good bet. LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Surprisingly AQP has an excellent soundtrack. Iirc bass goes down to about 16hz too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched about 30 minutes of Netflix's "The King" in 2K Atmos.

This movie was shot in digital 6.5K video resolution.

Although it's streaming from Netflix and not a 4K BluRay, I can tell that the Picture Quality is totally awesome! Amazing video quality.

But once again, after 30 minutes, I don't think I heard ANYTHING overhead. So unless something changes the remainder of the movie, I'm going to chuck this up to another "FAKE Atmos" soundtrack. :D

After I finish watching it in Atmos, I'm going to watch it again with NeuralX to compare.

At least so far the movie is pretty awesome to me. So I probably won't mind re-watching it in NeuralX.

And then hopefully it will come out on 4K BluRay so I can watch it again. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Surprisingly AQP has an excellent soundtrack. Iirc bass goes down to about 16hz too.
Yeah I do remember that it had a pretty good soundtrack even in Dolby Digital.

People wonder why we "need" Atmos/DTSX and 4K?

It's so that we have a good excuse to re-watch the movies again and again. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I redid my volume calibration again after altering the dialog lift mixing to improve accuracy with DSU "wide", etc. which also improved dialog in the second row where the seat in front of it blocks the center speaker (more went to the the upper speakers that have a clear line of sight).

Anyway, upper volume is now equal to lower (no more 1-2 dB boost) and it sounded great overhead with those three movies and the Atmos demos. I think some movies simply don't use them. Many clearly make very little use of the rears too, which doesn't sound so great for rows two and three with most of the surround sound just in front of you or to the sides (second row) or way in front of you (third row). Others treat rears likes like sides for ambience and it sounds great in all seats.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
My latest batch of 3D movies came in from Europe (including the new Aladdin live action and Toy Story 4 movies plus older Pixar ones Monsters Inc. and Monsters University, all in 3D, but that means 7.1 sound, but they should be good for upmixing. That now puts me over 200 3D movies total.

I thought the Planet of the Apes movies would be in Atmos, but they're all 7.1 (and 3D) also except for the first, which is only 5.1 and 2D. Zootropolis in 3D is only 7.1 as well. The only Atmos title is The Secret Life of Pets 2 (also in 3D). The last one was in Atmos also, but didn't exactly rock my boat with crazy surround use, let alone overhead use so I'm not going to hold my breath here.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I re-watched Terminator Salvation the other day with NeuralX.

I heard plenty of cool overhead sounds. This movie should sound great in Atmos or DTSX. But if not, oh well, at least the NeuralX upmixer works great in this movie —— once again like so many movies.
I just bought Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation from iTunes on sale ($5 each). That gives me all of them except the new one (Dark Fate). I'll have to check them out soon in Neural X.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Updated Photos of my Home Theater Room here:

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
OK, I have Disney+ here now and on my AppleTV 4K, most of the major Disney (and Marvel and Pixar, etc.) movies are all now in Dolby Atmos (as well as 4K if I had a 4K projector). That includes ALL the old Star Wars films! (Yes, 4K HDR10 too). I tested the first 15 minutes or so of Dumbo (live action). When the train went through the tunnel at the start, I could hear the tunnel echoes clearly above and all around, etc. I've been watching Toy Story 2 (about 40 minutes in) and it has several overhead sound moments so far already (even when they dangle the monkeys off the yo-yo string thing you can hear it dangling from above) let alone that stuff at the start where Buzz Lightyear (in the video game) is attacking Zurg's fortress.

I might have to rewatch a ton of movies (I only have Ralph Saves the Internet in Atmos as far as Disney films go since I mostly went with 3D and they are all 7.1). The first six Star Wars films are nowhere else in Atmos thus far. I'm mighty curious to hear what they did with them. I'm off a couple of days starting tomorrow afternoon so I should have some time to try them out.

Sadly, the new Star Wars Mandelorian show is only in 5.1 sound so far (they can convert Toy Story, but not put the new TV show in Atmos? WTF?!?) .... :(

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
It appears the new Auro-3D movie rereleases being released by Turbine, a company known for doing German language surround dubs in Germany also contain an English language Auro-3D track (well so far as only the first title (1994's Death Machine about a killer dinosaur robot programmed for Terminator style kills) has been released so far, but this could be good news for Auro-3D fans looking for more native movies and these are probably ones not available in Atmos or X. The first title is available on Amazon Germany.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've gone ahead and ordered Death Machine in Auro-3D from Amazon Germany (limited to 500 copies in each limited edition cover so get it now or maybe never).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis