The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I got Fast & Furious (4) and Fast Five in DTS:X now. That puts me back to a 1:2 ratio (35 DTS:X vs 70 Atmos) (and still at 10 movies plus one demo disc for Auro-3D) for DISCS (more for Atmos with streaming).

T

toddrhodes

Audiophyte
Hi all. Found this forum today looking for information on an Atmos pre/pro. Is this a good thread to ask for recommendations about adding Atmos/DTS:X to an existing two-channel room (one in which I have total flexibility and access to wire in new speakers, just getting that out of the way).

I have a larger theater room planned, outside my current room, but I kinda want to go through the process in the smaller space, learn my lessons, and apply those in the larger space. So the smaller room won't have as many speakers, but I'm also incorporating dedicated 2-channel gear, PC gaming, and some other things so I'm just trying to sort out some questions in a pilot of sorts, before I plan out the bigger setup.

At this point, thinking about getting an AV7702 or something equivalent from Denon. Really want an AVM60 but don't quite have the cash for that right now. Right now I have two Dynaudio fronts, a sub in front (but can do two, however it's really not needed in this small space), and two 8" in-walls behind the listening position. Ceiling is a drop, so I would add heights in the ceiling. I wouldn't run a center.

That's probably enough for now, I can add more detail but just wondering if I'm even shooting a little too high on something like an AV7702, considering I already have a very good component DAC, streamer, and phono preamp? I also have a line stage but it lacks a home theater loop, so that's one of those bugs I need to work out. I really like that line stage, so I hope to keep it for its transparency with 2-channel (it's a tubed, passive pre - Schiit Saga, cheap but immense value IMO).

Thanks for any thoughts! I'm active over on the Hoffman and Audiogon forums from time to time, if my name looks at all familiar.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, something interesting happened when we watched the new Toy Story 4 movie with the kids. Apparently, even though it has an Atmos track, I have the ability to select Dolby TrueHD, Dolby TrueHD + DTS Neural X, Dolby Surround/Atmos, and the other built in DSP modes. Note: Typically, if the track is non-Atmos the Dolby Surround/Atmos option simply says Dolby Surround.

I made sure the Atmos track was selected (did this for other movies, same behavior) and was always able to select between these formats. I only used my HTPC as a source (running Kodi 17.6 DS Player) so I can check to see if my Shield TV does the same thing, but I seem to recall that if an Atmos track was present I didn't have quite so many options.

The receiver (Denon 4300h) firmware has been updated a few times so I may not have noticed that the options had changed.

Anyone with a Denon feel like checking to see if they get the same thing? I'll also check with my Shield TV as a source and see if it has the same behavior.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah weird. AFAIK if atmos is present, the upmixers can’t be available. I got nothin...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Hi all. Found this forum today looking for information on an Atmos pre/pro. Is this a good thread to ask for recommendations about adding Atmos/DTS:X to an existing two-channel room (one in which I have total flexibility and access to wire in new speakers, just getting that out of the way).

I have a larger theater room planned, outside my current room, but I kinda want to go through the process in the smaller space, learn my lessons, and apply those in the larger space. So the smaller room won't have as many speakers, but I'm also incorporating dedicated 2-channel gear, PC gaming, and some other things so I'm just trying to sort out some questions in a pilot of sorts, before I plan out the bigger setup.

At this point, thinking about getting an AV7702 or something equivalent from Denon. Really want an AVM60 but don't quite have the cash for that right now. Right now I have two Dynaudio fronts, a sub in front (but can do two, however it's really not needed in this small space), and two 8" in-walls behind the listening position. Ceiling is a drop, so I would add heights in the ceiling. I wouldn't run a center.

That's probably enough for now, I can add more detail but just wondering if I'm even shooting a little too high on something like an AV7702, considering I already have a very good component DAC, streamer, and phono preamp? I also have a line stage but it lacks a home theater loop, so that's one of those bugs I need to work out. I really like that line stage, so I hope to keep it for its transparency with 2-channel (it's a tubed, passive pre - Schiit Saga, cheap but immense value IMO).

Thanks for any thoughts! I'm active over on the Hoffman and Audiogon forums from time to time, if my name looks at all familiar.
If you want Atmos/DTS-X you're going to have get a receiver or pre/pro with those codecs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah weird. AFAIK if atmos is present, the upmixers can’t be available. I got nothin...
If the track is Atmos, I can still use NeuralX, but it would change to TrueHD + NeuralX.

if the track is DTSX, I can still use DSU, but it would change to DTS-HD.MA + DSU.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yes absolutely ask about anything related to Atmos/DTSX.

I think for a secondary room, probably get an AVR with Atmos/DTSX. Then once you’re ready, you get a pre-pro + amp for your big main HT room.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If the track is Atmos, I can still use NeuralX, but it would change to TrueHD + NeuralX.

if the track is DTSX, I can still use DSU, but it would change to DTS-HD.MA + DSU.
Ok, so nothing's broken. I'm still curious to see what the Shield shows me. Considering we have the same source.

Edit: So, non-issue. Shield TV has the exact same behavior. Interesting that we can choose the original Atmos track or use an upmixer. Might have to do some comparisons later.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Huh...well I’m dumb! I seem to remember upmixers we’re ONLY available with non native tracks, OR when the signal is pcm. If it’s pcm though, the native tracks aren’t available.
Maybe i need to go back to Atmos school...

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I could always select another upmixer with an Atmos or X or Auro-3D track. It just goes back to the TrueHD/Master (or PCM in the case of Red Tails in Auro-3D) base track. Now that Dolby has rescinded ALL conditions for upmixers with their signals, technically DTS could have their upmixer (particularly with DTS:X Pro) upmix an actual decoded Atmos track with Neural X. That could "fix" Disney print-through (locked) 7.1.4 Atmos tracks to use more speakers, but who knows if they will ever do it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Huh...well I’m dumb! I seem to remember upmixers we’re ONLY available with non native tracks, OR when the signal is pcm. If it’s pcm though, the native tracks aren’t available.
Maybe i need to go back to Atmos school...
Well, some of us use Upmixers (I use NeuralX) on a daily basis so we know it by hard. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
There's a new batch of ten more Auro-3D movies on bluray coming out (news finally updated on the official site). Too bad they're all in German (Auro tracks for the German subbed tracks)....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, some of us use Upmixers (I use NeuralX) on a daily basis so we know it by hard. :D
Well, actually I do too but it’s on dish network content. Unless of course it’s movie time. Come to think of it, the info button on my Marantz remote does reveal those options but I never cared to go there. Maybe I’ll experiment later...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, actually I do too but it’s on dish network content. Unless of course it’s movie time. Come to think of it, the info button on my Marantz remote does reveal those options but I never cared to go there. Maybe I’ll experiment later...
Have you ever used NeuralX on those fake Atmos contents that have no overhead sound effects? :D

These days you gotta have plan-B for those fake Atmos/ fake 4K contents. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just rewatched Deepwater Horizon. Wow, it’s soooo good. Gets me every time. Only thing missing is the smell of oil and mud. Truly immersive experience.

I also just picked up and watched King Kong BR in dtshdma with neural X. Scenes 33-36 are great samples, and scenes I’ve seen countless times on my dvd with dts track. The BR looks much better and with dts-NX it’s just that much better. Iirc the UHD version has the dtsx track but for 5 bucks I’m not complaining.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Which King Kong? I've got the "Hobbit" (Peter Jackson) version with DTS:X. I still haven't watched it yet...too damn long.

Kong: Skull Island in 3D with Atmos was pretty good....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis