The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

E

Erod

Audioholic
I just watched Fury for the first time. I have to agree that has EXCELLENT Atmos sound (TONS of overhead stuff). I'd probably put it in the top 10 for Atmos titles. I was going to watch Hacksaw Ridge but the person watching movies with me tonight didn't like Fury (too violent apparently) and doesn't want to watch another war movie. :D
Hacksaw Ridge has better Atmos than Fury, but it is WAY more violent than Fury. Watch that one by yourself.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
helicopter demo where it would hover IN the room.
I believe you're talking about more than the typical front-to-rear panning - as far as going "THROUGH" us.

But how REALISTIC is that? A helicopter blade or entire aircraft going THROUGH us, instead of ABOVE us? :D

Maybe a bird, ball or small object going from one pin-point to another pin-point in the room? Yeah, I have not observed any sounds where I could exactly pin-point something.

But then again, could I pin-point something EXACTLY in real life with sound reflections and other competing sounds in life?

Maybe I'm not as "demanding", but I would be 100% happy if every overhead scene actually appears on the overhead speakers.

My only complaint is that many overhead sounds are simply omitted or ignored by these lazy a$$ sound mixers. :D

E

Erod

Audioholic
DTS NeuralX-

I was watching "Fear the Walking Dead S05E01" last night.

There is a scene where the main characters are standing under a tree that has zombie heads hanging on the branches above them.

The camera is set on the main characters (we don't see the zombie heads now).

As the main characters converse on screen, we hear the Zombie heads growling above us on the overhead speakers.:D

It is so realistic, creepy as heck, and so cool. :cool:

That's what NeuralX can do for us.
DSU does the same.

I like the scene in The Revenant when the Captain gets up and goes up the stairs on the right of the wall and walks left to right over your head to get to the safe.

That's not even Atmos, but it sounds like it is. Probably the best sound mix I've ever heard.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I believe you're talking about more than the typical front-to-rear panning - as far as going "THROUGH" us.

But how REALISTIC is that? A helicopter blade or entire aircraft going THROUGH us, instead of ABOVE us? :D

Maybe a bird, ball or small object going from one pin-point to another pin-point in the room? Yeah, I have not observed any sounds where I could exactly pin-point something.

But then again, could I pin-point something EXACTLY in real life with sound reflections and other competing sounds in life?

Maybe I'm not as "demanding", but I would be 100% happy if every overhead scene actually appears on the overhead speakers.

My only complaint is that many overhead sounds are simply omitted or ignored by these lazy a$$ sound mixers. :D
Haha! It wasn’t like the blades were in the room. Although, that would be awesome. I love sound effects that make me duck or flinch.

I will try and find it.

I do agree. It seems like some mixers and studios are simply phoning it in. I hate that $hit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hacksaw Ridge has better Atmos than Fury, but it is WAY more violent than Fury. Watch that one by yourself.
Agreed! HR has an excellent track. Top to bottom, front to back.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG's Atmos/DTSX List:

1. Pacific Rim 2013 Atmos
2. Blade Runner 2049 2017 Atmos
3. Cloverfield Paradox 2018 Atmos
4. The Equalizer 2014 Atmos
5. The Great Wall 2016 Atmos
6. Hunter Killer 2018 Atmos
7. The Matrix Trilogy 1999, 2003, 2003 Atmos
8. Oblivion 2013 Atmos
9. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 2016 Atmos
10. Salt 2010 Atmos
11. Sully 2016 Atmos
12. Twilight 2008 Atmos
13. Underworld 2003 Atmos
14. Underworld Blood Wars 2016 Atmos
15. Atomic Blonde 2017 DTSX
16. Harry Potter franchise (8 movies) 2001-2011 DTSX
17. Black Hawk Down 2001 Atmos
18. 13 Hours 2016 Atmos
19. Gravity 2013 Atmos
20. Ready Player One 2018 Atmos
21. Robin Hood 2018 Atmos
22. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom DTSX - originally I was not impressed with the 1080p/DTSX mix, but second time around with 2160p/DTSX mix was much better

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I hate comedies in general, but I will have to check out Groundhog Day in Atmos.
Don't expect much overhead sound. What impressed me was how mcuh effort the film mixer guy put into making the outdoors sound outdoors, etc. compared to the original was just a generic mostly dialog mix with occasional stereo effects (I don't recall much other than reverb in the surrounds in the 5.1 mix).

Gravity #19 and Harry Potter #16 while The Matrix gets #7? I guess we hear different things. I noticed very little overhead in the first two Matrix movies (haven't watched the third yet as it's pretty miserable to watch).

Someone asked me for my top ten after I told them about Fury. I guess I'd have to think about it. It's hard to remember everything to compare and it's hard not to let one's feeling for the movie itself into it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gravity #19 and Harry Potter #16 while The Matrix gets #7
They're in random order, not from best to worst or anything. But they made the "cut". :D

That way I can just copy, paste, and add on the list as I go. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
These are the ones I listed (copied from AV Forums) looking through the ones I've watched so far:

Harry Potter Series (DTS:X - Nearly all are great)
Crimson Peak (DTS:X)
Blade Runner 2049 (Atmos or Auro-3D)
Red Tails (Auro-3D)
Jumanji (original in Atmos)
Gravity (Atmos)
Fury (Atmos)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Atmos)
Mission Impossible Fallout (Atmos)
Kong: Skull Island (Atmos)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These are the ones I listed (copied from AV Forums) looking through the ones I've watched so far:

Harry Potter Series (DTS:X - Nearly all are great)
Crimson Peak (DTS:X)
Blade Runner 2049 (Atmos or Auro-3D)
Red Tails (Auro-3D)
Jumanji (original in Atmos)
Gravity (Atmos)
Fury (Atmos)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Atmos)
Mission Impossible Fallout (Atmos)
Kong: Skull Island (Atmos)
If I were someone new trying to find the best ones, I would check to see which movie made it on everyone's list. :D

It seems Blade Runner 2049 (and maybe Gravity) made it on just about everyone's list. :D

I still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies in DTSX.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
If I were someone new trying to find the best ones, I would check to see which movie made it on everyone's list. :D

It seems Blade Runner 2049 (and maybe Gravity) made it on just about everyone's list. :D

I still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies in DTSX.
Gravity is hard to watch, IMO. But there's no denying it moves sounds all over the place. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gravity is hard to watch, IMO. But there's no denying it moves sounds all over the place. :D
Yeah, I still haven't re-watched the entire "Gravity" yet, just bits and pieces of the movie.

Mostly used it for demo to show friends. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just watched London Has Fallen in DTS:X. Kind of like Under Siege in London. The effects were pretty darn good, though. Lot of overhead speaker use, not a ton "directly" overhead, but plenty up there and all around. I'd give it an A- or something to that effect for surround use.

I also watched Jack Reacher: Never Go Back in Dolby Atmos. It was a good movie (plot/execution wise), but sad to say it was on of those Atmos movies that seemed to think the surround speakers should only be used during big action sequences (and during those it was pretty decent sounding, although not a 'lot' overhead other than thunder and bullets whizzing, etc.), but the quiet moments seemed to put everything up front. I'd call this a B.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just watched Ghostbusters: Answer The Call (Extended Version in Dolby Atmos). The Atmos overhead effects were pretty good. I think the theater version is more watchable (extra bits don't add much and aren't funny), but it sucks they didn't include Atmos on that version, which also happens to be the 3D version so I'm stuck with 5.1 on that one. It's not "great" compared to the original, but it's not terrible like some seem to think. I find Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon both attractive so that doesn't hurt (not at all with the other two). I'd compare it to Ghostbusters II, really. Neither are great, but OK.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just watched JAWS (1975) in DTS-HD MA 7.1 upmixed with Neural X. It's not crazy surround, but certainly the underwater and boat scenes do have some decent surround effects. Overhead it's mostly the dives under the water where I noticed the ceiling speakers doing something other than perhaps some of the music (which was lower than typical for Neural X, IMO). For its age, definitely not terrible.

But don't compare it to The Meg's Atmos soundtrack (excellent) or even it's upmixed 5.1 soundtrack which is crazy good for 5.1. In fact, I don't know how I forgot about The Meg for the list above. It's kind of debateable whether Kong Skull Island or The Meg are better in Atmos. They're both pretty good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But don't compare it to The Meg's Atmos soundtrack (excellent) or even it's upmixed 5.1 soundtrack which is crazy good for 5.1. In fact, I don't know how I forgot about The Meg for the list above. It's kind of debateable whether Kong Skull Island or The Meg are better in Atmos. They're both pretty good.
I saw the Meg in Atmos, but haven't seen the entire Skull Island in Atmos yet.

The Meg didn't make it on my list. :D

I think each of us need 2 lists: Movies that made our "cut" and movies that didn't make it. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just watched The Great Wall in Atmos (and 3D). Strange movie, but fun. GREAT soundtrack! Lots of overhead use including a scene where the creatures are above them on a grate and they're just stomping all over the ceiling (awesome). I have to say that Jing Tian (Asian actress that's the Chinese main character) is so pretty. My Zidoo informed me she was in Pacific Rim Uprising so I watched that next!

Pacific Rim Uprising (also in 3D)...GREAT Atmos track! Total seamless blend of stuff flying everywhere! Loads over overhead use.

I also watched Mission Impossible Fallout again in Atmos (tied to the 3D version this time) and the Atmos track was even better than I remembered (maybe since I had Audyssey set up this time?). There's a great helicopter flyby straight from the front to the back of the room overhead (perfect demo/test for overhead cohesion and what I've been looking for in terms of a solid flyby that's not "too fast". I'm happy to report it sounded perfect here (no gaps or anything overhead).

I also watched Hotel Transylvania 2 3D in 5.1 Neural X upmixed and it upmixed very well (plenty of stuff up there and very good surround use for 5.1).

I also watched Wreck It Ralph 3D in upmixed 7.1 (actually sounded pretty darn good to my surprise).

Yeah I watched a lot of movies today....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
“The Great Wall” made it on my list.

I’m going to have to revisit MI Fallout in 4K/Atmos (like JW Fallen Kingdom) and see if it makes it on my list 2nd time around. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Watching mockingjay part in “Katmos”. Lots of hovercraft and environmental overhead stuff and well done overall. The other day I made a comment about a pterodactyl flying through my room. There’s a scene in chapter 10 I think. They get a mockingjay to sing, and she says, “yeah, that’s a mockingjay”, and it flies away off screen to the left rear. But it does actually go through my room. Right past my head. Such a small effect, but it was IN my room. Excellent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis