The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My 16 YO daughter is like most teens with all that iPhone/snap chats, etc.

Yet, when we watch movies or even TV shows, she would insist on watching it in my Atmos HT room every time.

When I showed the ATMOS demo disc, my wife and 15 YO daughter didn’t even care. But my 16 YO daughter was mesmerized by ATMOS.

So I think it’s not a total “loss”. :D

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Very true. I did all this for myself and my family. Mr friends and outside family have all experienced the HT once or twice, but then don't care about it anymore. They just have no interest. Boggles my mind. Even after seeing my setup they won't even buy a sound bar. The kids love it tho. Especially my son. In fact yesterday we counted up subwoofers around the house. Counting the ones in our cars we have 7 lol. Most people don't even have 1. My son thinks I need one more in the dining room to go with the in-ceilings we use as back ground noise lol. At least I raised one audiophile. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think I’m going to have to pull the trigger on some nice gifts for my GF before I update to Atmos in my man cave. Like maybe a hot tub! :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I think I’m going to have to pull the trigger on some nice gifts for my GF before I update to Atmos in my man cave. Like maybe a hot tub! :)
Hot water with jets and your gf in a bikini.... isn't that a gift for you? :cool:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
And here we are talking about our home Dolby Atmos Systems that sound better than the commercial movie theaters.

This is truly a 100% niche market. :D

But we didn’t do all this for everyone else. We did it for us. :D
Yep 100% right on Brother! Some spend 30K on a nice bike or 60K on a boat that may get used a few times a year. I know of a friend just spent over 5K on rims and tires for his truck. But the only time he can see those nice rims is when he is washing them. I told him why so much when you can’t even see them once your driving? He goes that my hobby, so I left it at that. Thing is like you guys my setup is used Everyday! Sometimes 24/7, to me for home entertainment and enjoyment Nothing is better!!

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep 100% right on Brother! Some spend 30K on a nice bike or 60K on a boat that may get used a few times a year. I know of a friend just spent over 5K on rims and tires for his truck. But the only time he can see those nice rims is when he is washing them. I told him why so much when you can’t even see them once your driving? He goes that my hobby, so I left it at that. Thing is like you guys my setup is used Everyday! Sometimes 24/7, to me for home entertainment and enjoyment Nothing is better!!

Mike
Absolutely right, Mike!

We use our systems everyday.

It's really more than just a "hobby". It's a hobby + entertainment + stress relief + therapy. I think this is one hobby where we unequivocally get our money's worth !

Now some of us can make fun of Atmos/DTSX/Auro3D, but it can be part of this hobby/entertainment/relief/therapy too. :D

Like Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know my family is pretty impressed with my theater, but I know my kids are. Every day they ask "can we watch a movie in the MOVIE ROOM?!?!?". With them being all under 5 I think I'm doing pretty good so far. I was whistling the other day and my 3 yo goes "that's The Beatles". She was proud of herself, but one of their favorite shows is Beat Bugs which is a cartoon made from Beatles songs so I can't take full credit on that one.

I will agree with most in saying that the new Atmos movies are much better than the ones that have added it after the fact. I've got Saving Private Ryan in Atmos and it's nice, but IMHO it doesn't sound much different than the normal mix.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Absolutely right, Mike!

We use our systems everyday.

It's really more than just a "hobby". It's a hobby + entertainment + stress relief + therapy. I think this is one hobby where we unequivocally get our money's worth !

Now some of us can make fun of Atmos/DTSX/Auro3D, but it can be part of this hobby/entertainment/relief/therapy too. :D

Like Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. :D
ADTG, that’s the thing about this hobby, that most don’t get. The money spent on “Good” gear to me anyways is money well spent. The payoff is priceless in my book. Your post of the analogy of this hobby is spot on! :D“Panteragstk” post made me smile reading what he just shared with us about how his daughters and his family enjoy his system. I know as for me being a Father that’s one aspect of his hobby that is priceless to him, sharing it with his family and his children and friends. Getting lost, with a good movie or our favorite music, not noticing the gear, whether you’re by yourself or with loved ones makes spending time, money and effort we put into this is priceless.

Mike

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
ADTG, that’s the thing about this hobby, that most don’t get. The money spent on “Good” gear to me anyways is money well spent. The payoff is priceless in my book. Your post of the analogy of this hobby is spot on! :D“Panteragstk” post made me smile reading what he just shared with us about how his daughters and his family enjoy his system. I know as for me being a Father that’s one aspect of his hobby that is priceless to him, sharing it with his family and his children and friends. Getting lost, with a good movie or our favorite music, not noticing the gear, whether you’re by yourself or with loved ones makes spending time, money and effort we put into this is priceless.

Mike
Yep, nothing makes me smile like my 4 yo coming in my office asking if she can listen to music instead of watch TV. Both my girls love music. My son does too, but he's not even 2 yet so he doesn't really ask for anything...

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yep, nothing makes me smile like my 4 yo coming in my office asking if she can listen to music instead of watch TV. Both my girls love music. My son does too, but he's not even 2 yet so he doesn't really ask for anything...
Panteragstk, your a blessed man brother!! Some of my fondest memories, where my sons when they where very young watching a movie with them. Them lil “munchies” that’s what I call all my grandchildren. Gotta love them lil munchies! They are our “Legacy“ so to speak. I’m sure as I speak, when you see their lil face light up watching a movie with you is priceless!

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
My 16 YO daughter is like most teens with all that iPhone/snap chats, etc.

Yet, when we watch movies or even TV shows, she would insist on watching it in my Atmos HT room every time.

When I showed the ATMOS demo disc, my wife and 15 YO daughter didn’t even care. But my 16 YO daughter was mesmerized by ATMOS.

So I think it’s not a total “loss”. :D
ADTG, oh believe me they care and they do notice, as women they just don’t lets us know they care Lol. And now your daughters being 16 and 15 teen they are watching you very close! :oops:. Girls want to be the “apple” of their Fathers eyes.

Mike

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure what the heck is going on with number 3 but, you need these. My twins are 11 and have watched them since they were babies. They still love them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Don't be so hard on your self...

That looks cool. Thanks.
This is the first one I saw by them. It was a demo at BB. I was super amazed. Couple years later I remembered that demo and googled balls shooting at drums lol. I found animusic and bought one and two. The really cool thing is that even people who aren’t musicians can see how instruments work. Especially when they come alive.
The YouTube link will give you an idea but obviously will sound like, well....YouTube.
Anyway, I love it that your kids dig music. Mine do too, and thought I’d throw this out.
Sorry for the detour. Although, dsu would do an amazing job with some of these tracks. My favorite...

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
This is the first one I saw by them. It was a demo at BB. I was super amazed. Couple years later I remembered that demo and googled balls shooting at drums lol. I found animusic and bought one and two. The really cool thing is that even people who aren’t musicians can see how instruments work. Especially when they come alive.
The YouTube link will give you an idea but obviously will sound like, well....YouTube.
Anyway, I love it that your kids dig music. Mine do too, and thought I’d throw this out.
Sorry for the detour. Although, dsu would do an amazing job with some of these tracks. My favorite...
I've seen that before! I don't recall when or where but that is pretty cool! If anyone ever gets the chance I highly recommend seeing the blue man group in person as well. Awesome stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've seen that before! I don't recall when or where but that is pretty cool! If anyone ever gets the chance I highly recommend seeing the blue man group in person as well. Awesome stuff.
Absolutely. Super talented bunch. Very unique.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis