The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't you get it, he's a hero, but has no superpowers, trying to do the impossible. One final life lesson for the alien space child to connect with humanity.o_O You might as well ask why Uncle Ben has to die in the Maguire Spidermen films. :rolleyes:

:D
Yeah, but Peter Parker wasn’t even around when his uncle got shot. No way he would just stood there and watched his uncle get shot.

Clark Kent just stood there and watched his dad get killed by a tornado.

In the Mario Puzo’s Superman, Clark’s dad had a heart attack, which is the number cause of death. Very emotional for most people.

But tornado? :eek:

We hear about tornadoes every year. Most of the time we don’t even see anyone die from tornadoes.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Yeah, but Peter Parker wasn’t even around when his uncle got shot.
But Peter did let the guy who killed him, escape in a fit of peak over the wrestling contest fubar. Either way, what was Uncle Ben trying to do talk him out of his criminal ways.:oops:

Always best not to look too closely at character motives in these type of films. :D

On the plus side, Zootopia/Zootroplis (bluray Dts HDMA) up mixes nicely.:D Inappropriate bunny jokes aplenty.:cool: and sheep fondling.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Watching/listening to The Peacemaker (1997) (again)
Dolby Digital 5.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL professional
1.jpg
2.jpg

Scene of sounding interest is where the Russian train leaves the train station carrying nuclear warheads for dismantlement . When seeing the film few times at the Bournemouth ABC screen 1 back around mid 1998 when the cinema installed a Dolby DA20 for its Dolby CP200 processor in the early 1998 the ABC ran few past Dolby SR-D films to start off its opening using Dolby Digital.

7.jpg

Found an old picture of how the auditorium used to look with the original surrounds on the back wall and circled in red is where I and the projectionist was standing while the Peacemaker was playing talking softly during the loudness of the opening so no one else would hear us.

While standing at the back of the audiatuim chatting with one of the senior projectionists and about the film. During the scene where the train leaves the train station. I happened to notice it and so did the projectionist and we both at the same time said. "its should have sounded below us" As the train leaves the camera moves upwards and the train is seeing moving off screen from a below angle and made no sounding sense to hear it above us on one of the many six original surrounds that as mounted on the back-wall of the auditorium.

Its been bothering me for many years when I had the film on DVD but very little I could do at the time to get the sound of the train to be heard below me or below the seating so I can look downwards.

The Dolby EX uses the centre back surround for the rear back surrounds that have always been in place in cinemas with arrays along the sidewalls and the sound of the surrounds divided up into left-half right-half groups one for sidewall the other half for back wall.

When I had the idea around 1989 while listening to the odd few 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo films that often screened at the ABC screen 1, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) and seeing it 4 times before seeing it at the Empire Leicester Square in 70mm (THX sound system) it stuck me that the sound of the surrounds thou good and better sounding with whole sound reproduction playback in THX than the ABC. The surrounds was often making me think? "Disorientated" is the word I'm looking for. As the surrounds carry a middle sound or centre phantom image.

The idea reminded in my head for about 9 years and even owning a Laserdisc player for few years and was about to buy a Millennium, no not Falcon,
:D Millennium dts 2.4.6 decoder at reduced price and I suddenly realized I could try out my idea to see if it works or not? Of course it worked.

Once getting the processor home and trying centre back surround with one my Yamaha DSR70Pro, pro-logic decoders connected to the stereo surrounds and after pink noise balancing the levels with matched speakers that came out of shopping centre that closed down the PA announcement type with voltage transformer on them, five speakers on the back wall and two on each sidewall.

I was startled with how GoldenEye (1995) sounded, making me duck and flinch a few times due to the way the sound arrived at my listening position and ears.

I even spoke to Dolby labs New York offices about the idea 1998 only few days after having it set up and the person I was speaking to seemed very interested and even curious why I'm running five speakers for back wall, even thou I knew commonly it would be six on the back wall (even today with Atmos it may be common to see eight or more on the back wall now).

A year later reading in a home cinema magazine "home cinema choice" I was quite red faced angry, knowing they have borrowed on my idea and tuned it into what they called "Dolby surround-EX". of course when the consumer version was released not soon after it could only do, Left surround, Back surround and Right surround. While the professional version same as my Yamaha DSR70Pro could do...

Left surround
Right surround
Centre back surround
with an extra channel that uses the - negitave anti phase, out-of-phase signal
Plus the low pass sub output.

The Dolby SA10 or rather the Dolby CP45 that was stripped down with few modifications and new front face plate and the back of it even changed didn't have the SW low pass sub filter on it, thou maybe inside the decoder it may still remain but on the back panel which was basic left-sur, centre sur, left sur and "extra" that is the rear matrix surround if used the other way around like common Dolby Stereo matrix 4.2.4 film mixes are created for optical 35mm 4 channel.

I really don't care much anymore that Dolby labs taken my idea and cooked up a story that Skywalker sound came up with the idea.

So I use a matrix front centre or Dolby CP45 on the side surrounds to decode extract the centre phantom signal or any other signal that may have some steerable sound in the matrix rear surround that at present using it above for middle surrounds, while the centre output is underneath the cinema seats and the sound of the Train passes underneath below surround and even some other scenes in the early part of the film when the other Russian hijackers bump off all the other comrades, while climbing up on top of the train carriage the sound of the surrounds with train has the train sounding below me as the camera moves upwards with hijacker, it sounded like standing on top of the train.

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

There are other scenes in the film that have helicopters and some of the sound to picture doesn't match to where the helicopters appear both on screen to off screen with some passing visually on screen at an overhead angle as it leaves the screen then its heard commonly on the surrounds trends to dip downwards into my "Below Surround".

If even SDDS think bit harder back around the time they could have had 3 formats with SDDS being used for

Front Left
Front Centre
Front Right
Surround Left
Surround Right
Matrix a centre back surround to be used with matrix decoder for back surrounds.

The left-centre right-centre could have been used if the processor had been designed to have extra format codes to use a ...

Upper height mono surround
Below underneath seating mono surround

Okay wouldn't be perfect but least would have been a start in the right direction to push Below surround.

Not really using the Dolby DSU for The Peacemaker (1997) that much after listening only to how the train leaves with DSU no steam passing from the trains funnel overhead a different sound of ambiance.
The DSU removes the sound funnel sound from the side surrounds and its re-positioned same as Dolby PLIIx places it centre back but the sound positioning is all wrong least for the train.

Just not enough quick and fast format modes to easily select. Must I do everything myself.

When it comes to surround listening I am the surround guru. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Still playing The Peacemaker (1997) and switching off the rear back surrounds as when using my Below Surround the DSU matrix is subtracting the + in-phase of the centre phantom and removes the signal away from the Below Surround and steers the centre + in-phase signal towards the back surround or what we like to believe is the back surround. It just does.

I have extra AVR's and other matrix processors I could wire up to create a new difference back surround becuase I reactive the rear back surrounds on the Marnatz SR6012 its going to subtract a signal that I don't want subtracting.

To do ones own surround of channels its best to use decoders for each channel and watch image for where people or other objects are placed or moving around and where the camera is also moving around and listen! Sure sound editors and mixers must spend a lot of time watching mixing but the tools they have restricts a lot of the sound details placement.

I think best play the film in mono surrounding the room so the sound is just all around the room for an in-head sound because when it comes down to discrete surround lot of the time the sound doesn't match. Am I repeating myself? :D

We all spend lot of time looking at and listening to the Real World.

I not tried that all mono or stereo around DSP AVR on its own wired to to stereo surrounds and see what it sounds? No I don't mean using the All-Mono - All-Stereo mode on the main AVR, I'm talking about buying a cheap AVR and using that AVR connected to the (side stereo surrounds and another one connected to the rear back stereo) to see what it does? I have another Onkyo TX-NR807 that is ready to use in the rack its just not powered up or even wired up yet I only checked it if its working few days ago.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
More poor sound effects editing and mixing in this scene and one just like it few scenes back. Now the sound of that room will have reflecting for the sound of anything including voices to show the listen the scale of the room. It sound like listening to these actors inside an anechoic chamber with all their voices from that typical centre channel how dull for an action movie. the scene belongs in the cat litter for wasting my listening time.
1.jpg
2.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished re-watching Man of Steel in ATMOS.

I will second that MoS is one of the better ones in terms of ATMOS sound effects.

There were some scenes that could have utilized the overhead speakers more. :D

But the ATMOS speakers were used plenty.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
As I read this thread and the many of the comments, I'm really starting to be even more steadfast in my belief that Atmos will eventually go the way of 3D TV.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Russian train leaves the train station carrying nuclear warheads for dismantlement . When seeing the film few times at the Bournemouth ABC screen 1 back around mid 1998 when the cinema installed a Dolby DA20 for its Dolby CP200 processor in the early 1998 the ABC ran few past Dolby SR-D films to start off its opening using Dolby Digital.

View attachment 27005
Found an old picture of how the auditorium used to look with the original surrounds on the back wall and circled in red is where I and the projectionist was standing while the Peacemaker was playing talking softly during the loudness of the opening so no one else would hear us.

While standing at the back of the audiatuim chatting with one of the senior projectionists and about the film. During the scene where the train leaves the train station. I happened to notice it and so did the projectionist and we both at the same time said. "its should have sounded below us" As the train leaves the camera moves upwards and the train is seeing moving off screen from a below angle and made no sounding sense to hear it above us on one of the many six original surrounds that as mounted on the back-wall of the auditorium.

Its been bothering me for many years when I had the film on DVD but very little I could do at the time to get the sound of the train to be heard below me or below the seating so I can look downwards.

The Dolby EX uses the centre back surround for the rear back surrounds that have always been in place in cinemas with arrays along the sidewalls and the sound of the surrounds divided up into left-half right-half groups one for sidewall the other half for back wall.

When I had the idea around 1989 while listening to the odd few 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo films that often screened at the ABC screen 1, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) and seeing it 4 times before seeing it at the Empire Leicester Square in 70mm (THX sound system) it stuck me that the sound of the surrounds thou good and better sounding with whole sound reproduction playback in THX than the ABC. The surrounds was often making me think? "Disorientated" is the word I'm looking for. As the surrounds carry a middle sound or centre phantom image.

The idea reminded in my head for about 9 years and even owning a Laserdisc player for few years and was about to buy a Millennium, no not Falcon,
:D Millennium dts 2.4.6 decoder at reduced price and I suddenly realized I c

The Dolby SA10 or rather the Dolby CP45 that was stripped down with few modifications and new front face plate and the back of it even changed didn't have the SW low pass sub filter on it, thou maybe inside the decoder it may still remain but on the back panel which was basic left-sur, centre sur, left sur and "extra" that is the rear matrix surround if used the other way around like common Dolby Stereo matrix 4.2.4 film mixes are created for optical 35mm 4 channel.

I really don't care much anymore that Dolby labs taken my idea and cooked up a story that Skywalker sound came up with the idea.

So I use a matrix front centre or Dolby CP45 on the side surrounds to decode extract the centre phantom signal or any other signal that may have some steerable sound in the matrix rear surround that at present using it above for middle surrounds, while the centre output is underneath the cinema seats and the sound of the Train passes underneath below surround and even some other scenes in the early part of the film when the other Russian hijackers bump off all the other comrades, while climbing up on top of the train carriage the sound of the surrounds with train has the train sounding below me as the camera moves upwards with hijacker, it sounded like standing on top of the train.

View attachment 27001View attachment 270
Your the surround guru! :) Actually I'm in awe of how you learned all this.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As I read this thread and the many of the comments, I'm really starting to be even more steadfast in my belief that Atmos will eventually go the way of 3D TV.
Interesting observation I'm curious what do you feel will eventually take its place?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you’re NOT going to upgrade to ATMOS, and you think ATMOS will be forgotten like 3D video?

1. ATMOS is being packaged with 4K/UHD BD. So if you think that 4K/UHD will also fade away like 3D video, then it might be true.

2. ATMOS has been out since 2013. Almost 6 years later and the number of ATMOS BD have increased significantly, not reduced in numbers.

How long did 3D video last? 2 or 3 years?

3. ATMOS is backward-compatible with Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital. It can coexist with TrueHD on the same disc. Even if 4K/UHD fails, they could still put ATMOS on the same 1080p TrueHD BD. Even if TrueHD fails, they could still put ATMOS on the same 1080p DD BD.

3D video is a separate disc from the regular 2D video.

4. As long as 4K/UHD/8K/ATMOS sell as features of AVR, Pre-Pro, TV, and other devices, why would they just stop making ATMOS?

5. And the SALIENT thing is, even if they do stop asking ATMOS, we still have the awesome DSU and NeuralX to turn almost everything into ATMOS and DTSX anyway. :D

@Bookmark can tell you that watching “Equalizer” in NeuralX sounded almost like watching an ATMOS or DTSX movie.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just finished re-watching Man of Steel in ATMOS.

I will second that MoS is one of the better ones in terms of ATMOS sound effects.

There were some scenes that could have utilized the overhead speakers more. :D

But the ATMOS speakers were used plenty.
Dude I'm so debuting that movie in atmos I love that friggin movie

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
So last night, three newly released movies. Hotel Artemis with Jodie Foster, Antman and Wasp and Mission Impossible Fallout.

Artemis is a pet project of Drew Pearce and while it did not command a great box office or viewer approval, it is a film I really like.:) The bluray only has a Dts HDMA and what overhead bits are there are nicely handled, however it is hardly standout, although the music is good.:)

Antman and Wasp on bluray, it's Disney, so no Atmos/Dts:X, however finally, after what seems forever, the sound is at the right level and the dynamics are all present.:eek: It has overhead moments with the voices and the quantum realm:cool:, but oddly things you might imagine sounding good are a tad flat:rolleyes:. Overall, best Disney sound release in possibly years, script issues and a half dozen writers means it does lack some polish or snap.

Mission Impossible Fallout, bluray Atmos, if you haven't seen it do so, buy it, rent it, whatever. :p:p Show it to your friends, family, whoever, show them finally, what you spent all that money on.:D:D It is truly a Grade A++ demo for the format, easily the best of the year.:cool: From the get go to the end, the overheads are banging away like nothing I heard before. :DDoesn't hurt it's a damn fine film too. :cool:

Ps it even has Helicopters too..:D.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mission Impossible Fallout, bluray Atmos, if you haven't seen it do so, buy it, rent it, whatever. :p:p Show it to your friends, family, whoever, show them finally, what you spent all that money on.:D:D It is truly a Grade A++ demo for the format, easily the best of the year.:cool: From the get go to the end, the overheads are banging away like nothing I heard before. :D

Ps it even has Helicopters too..:D
Yeah, I recall the intensive climax helicopter scenes toward the end of the movie, so I bet it sounds great with ATMOS.

But that much overhead actions throughout the ENTIRE movie?

I think the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions Atmos are probably the most overhead-active to date.

Will check MI-FALLOUT Atmos, but I have a feeling that perhaps your Atmos Heights are probably more active than my Atmos Ceilings.

I think Atmos needs both Heights and Ceilings. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Don't really want to do spoilers for anyone that has not seen it yet.:) But, simply the rain, about 5 min in is the best done I have heard to date for a complete overhead,:eek: The first 20 mins up to the intro credits is excellent and just keeps going from there.The music appears a lot in the overhead, the helicopters, general ambiance, car and bike chases, spot effects. Honestly, Rampage, Kong, Hacksaw, Ready Player all have moments, but not compared to this:D. Just my opinion, others may differ. o_O It is also stuffed to the gunnels with the stunt craziness.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So last night, three newly released movies. Hotel Artemis with Jodie Foster, Antman and Wasp and Mission Impossible Fallout.

Artemis is a pet project of Drew Pearce and while it did not command a great box office or viewer approval, it is a film I really like.:) The bluray only has a Dts HDMA and what overhead bits are there are nicely handled, however it is hardly standout, although the music is good.:)

Antman and Wasp on bluray, it's Disney, so no Atmos/Dts:X, however finally, after what seems forever, the sound is at the right level and the dynamics are all present.:eek: It has overhead moments with the voices and the quantum realm:cool:, but oddly things you might imagine sounding good are a tad flat:rolleyes:. Overall, best Disney sound release in possibly years, script issues and a half dozen writers means it does lack some polish or snap.

Mission Impossible Fallout, bluray Atmos, if you haven't seen it do so, buy it, rent it, whatever. :p:p Show it to your friends, family, whoever, show them finally, what you spent all that money on.:D:D It is truly a Grade A++ demo for the format, easily the best of the year.:cool: From the get go to the end, the overheads are banging away like nothing I heard before. :DDoesn't hurt it's a damn fine film too. :cool:

Ps it even has Helicopters too..:D.
So Disney finally started fixing there sound mix issue now if only Marvel could do the same thing. Black Panther Thor Ragnarok I could go on and on. It's crazy that these releases known for there action suck so bad on the audio mixes you'd think they'd realize it by now too!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis