The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I saw "Oblivion" in Atmos last night.

I think the Atmos sound mix is pretty great.

I also love the movie so watching it again was awesome.

This statement sounds cliche, but I did feel like I was "watching it for the first time". :D

I think the Atmos mix sounds natural. One example is when Tom Cruise speaks on the Intercom, it comes from the ceiling speakers, which is exactly where I expect it to be in real life.
One of my favorite soundtracks. Very good one to test your system with.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Cinema is where Atmos is optimized. If you really want to know what Atmos is really about in its purest form, in my opinion, you have to go to the Cinema.
That sounds like a very cool place for a field trip. :D

I would most definitely love to visit a Dolby Cinema.

I guess in contrast to the Dolby Cinema, all the commercial Atmos theaters I've been to kind of sucked.

This was one of the biggest reasons it has taken me so long to jump on board with Atmos - I was never impressed at the commercial theaters I went to in Dallas, LA, and OKC. I thought Atmos just sounded louder. I didn't get that 3D soundstage- not even any significant Overhead "Voice of God" sound.

So again, as @Drunkpenguin pointed out, the Home Atmos experience has been 100% better than the commercial Atmos experience.

But I imagine a true Atmos Cinema where Atmos is optimized would be 100% different than all these commercial Atmos theaters many of us have been to.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Natural is a very good description. It realy pulls the viewer into the scene.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Imo a properly setup home theater will always beat a comercial theater. HT have a single sweet spot and are not compromisimg for 600 seats.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I saw "Oblivion" in Atmos last night.

I think the Atmos sound mix is pretty great.

I also love the movie so watching it again was awesome.

This statement sounds cliche, but I did feel like I was "watching it for the first time". :D

I think the Atmos mix sounds natural. One example is when Tom Cruise speaks on the Intercom, it comes from the ceiling speakers, which is exactly where I expect it to be in real life.
Don’t remember anybody’s list off hand, but Gravity is spectacular. Especially in the beginning.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Don’t remember anybody’s list off hand, but Gravity is spectacular. Especially in the beginning.
Did you end up installing the ceiling speakers? I’m still curious about RSL 34e when I do 5.1.4.

I’ve been sidetracked with redoing my flooring and updating my other systems so my Atmos upgrade has been delayed a bit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve seen various versions of Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” over the years in both movies and TV series. But the version I enjoy the most is unequivocally “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”. The great classic Jane Austen story with lots of babes, martial arts, zombies, and a totally kick-a$$ Dolby ATMOS soundtrack that makes amazing use of every speaker.. :D

The awesome crackling of the thunder overhead, the rumbling of the tunnel ceiling overhead, the birds flying and singing overhead, the music in the great ballroom overhead, the panning from speaker to speaker.

At times you’ll hear dialogue from every speaker, except the overhead speakers. For example, the dialogue from the left front speaker pans to the rear left Surround naturally as in real life.

Great ATMOS mix, great story, great acting, great actions, zombies, and babes.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up from me. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Did you end up installing the ceiling speakers? I’m still curious about RSL 34e when I do 5.1.4.

I’ve been sidetracked with redoing my flooring and updating my other systems so my Atmos upgrade has been delayed a bit.
Looong story short...
They are installed but my avr purchase got benched temporarily. I did however make a couple temporary enclosures for them and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.2(maybe 5.1.2 someday) system. I can say they are amazing. Imaging is spectacular and I can not wait any more to finish that damn job.
I think I may start off with annihilation as DP nodded to. My buddy has a 5.4.4 atmos system in a more dedicated space than me so I’m not totally without Atmos. And 7.3 in my LR has a lot going for it too. Tired of waiting though...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
“Gravity” was the 1st movie I saw in ATMOS at the theaters. I was exited to find out what ATMOS was all about. But instead I was totally disappointed with the sound.

So definitely the home theater ATMOS experience is so much better.

I am looking forward to seeing how “Gravity ATMOS” is at home. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
“Gravity” was the 1st movie I saw in ATMOS at the theaters. I was exited to find out what ATMOS was all about. But instead I was totally disappointed with the sound.

So definitely the home theater ATMOS experience is so much better.

I am looking forward to seeing how “Gravity ATMOS” is at home.
Ya know, I’ve been disappointed with commercial theaters for a long time. And the better my system gets over time, the worse going out to the theater gets. Too many meatheads run commercial theaters, or untrained teenagers. Not sure, but for me the real appeal is the huuuuge screen. I have have bass output into the teens and I know my local theater can’t say that!
FWIW I believe your at home gravity experience will be much better. I hope so anyway.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looong story short...
They are installed but my avr purchase got benched temporarily. I did however make a couple temporary enclosures for them and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.2(maybe 5.1.2 someday) system. I can say they are amazing. Imaging is spectacular and I can not wait any more to finish that damn job.
I think I may start off with annihilation as DP nodded to. My buddy has a 5.4.4 atmos system in a more dedicated space than me so I’m not totally without Atmos. And 7.3 in my LR has a lot going for it too. Tired of waiting though...
What AVR are you looking at?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What AVR are you looking at?
X4400/4300. @ahblaza posted one a few days ago. Been try to make a run at that one. Or waiting for $799.99 clearance like last year. Also looked a a4l for a refurb. I do like the marantz counterparts but I’m not sure about paying the premium. My other friend has a slightly older one(7005)and it sounds fantastic.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
X4400/4300. @ahblaza posted one a few days ago. Been try to make a run at that one. Or waiting for $799.99 clearance like last year. Also looked a a4l for a refurb. I do like the marantz counterparts but I’m not sure about paying the premium. My other friend has a slightly older one(7005)and it sounds fantastic.
Ya that’s a good one. I’m a Yamaha owner but that one looks good from Denon. I never thought I would buy HSU after loving Rythmik so who knows. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya that’s a good one. I’m a Yamaha owner but that one looks good from Denon. I never thought I would buy HSU after loving Rythmik so who knows. :)
I think you made a good choice. HSU represents great value all the way around. I do think Rythmik wins in the end, but you do pay for that. As far as Yamaha goes, they do make solid products, and I use a Yamaha amp on my mains even. However, I loathe their menu systems, and for me all the stupid sound modes, I outgrew in my first HT. I have a Yamaha in my garage and it works well enough. It’s just a pain in the a$$ lol. The pio in my BR is really nice. The Onkyo in my LR is a beast(808). I think Onkyo was once the best bang for the buck out there, and that’s why the whole hdmi think is overinflated IMO. More units out in the wild equals more people bitching. Mine got fixed after the warranty period, as did thousands of others. I don’t think any other manufacturers would have done that. Sorry for blathering. It just came flying out. Lol

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Imo a properly setup home theater will always beat a comercial theater. HT have a single sweet spot and are not compromisimg for 600 seats.
Its amazing to me that people don't claim their music system beats a real concert. Let's not forget, a home theater is trying to immolate an actual theater. There was a time when home theater did not exist, all you had was the commercial cinema. In my opinion, the sheer size of a commercial cinema has a lot to do with the experience, sound wise and visually, that cannot be duplicated in the home, I don't care how many DSP's (i.e. movie mode, cinema. etc.) A/V manufacturers try to design. There is something that's just organic about the commercial cinema that you can't really immolate with a receiver.

With that said, some commercial theaters are bad and poorly run. However, Dolby Cinema doesn't fall into that category, they are great. In my opinion, if you are planning on setting up an Atmos system in the home you should use a Dolby Cinema as a reference. They are designed strictly for Atmos, from start to finish, per Dolby's specifications.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
A proper cinema I might agree with you, unfortunately our local multiplex, although set up for Atmos is nowhere near as good as in the house. :( I know a friend who has seen a fair few in various Imax and has said this has been very good.

It was my understand the VOG was just an extra overhead speaker not a solo thing. I believe, which has been suggested, that the new Imax mode is a means to rollup Auro into Dts and give this the VOG too. Imax was known to use a layout similar to Auro, if not actually Auro

The VOG is for that height information they claim that the ear can perceive coming from above us. They say its for the 3rd layer of sound.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
One will never be enough for that 3rd layer, lets put a few more up there:cool:

Last night I got round to Legend of Tarzan, Gorilla entrance around the 12-15min mark is a good overhead moment. :D In general its a pretty good Atmos, although I was a bit disappointed by the wilderbeast stampede.

I'll add Oblivion to the first page list. Unfortunately mine is Dts HDMA. Hand in hand with that one I would have thought Edge of Tomorrow, alas also Dts for me.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies makes Jane Austin eminently watchable. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. One will never be enough for that 3rd layer, lets put a few more up there:cool:

2. I'll add Oblivion to the first page list. Unfortunately mine is Dts HDMA. Hand in hand with that one I would have thought Edge of Tomorrow, alas also Dts for me.

3. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies makes Jane Austin eminently watchable. :eek:
1. Yeah I think a single Ceiling speaker is weak. If you’re going to install ceiling speakers in the first place, why install just one?

2. “Edge of Tomorrow” is Atmos, but only on streaming service for now. Hopefully they will get it on Atmos BD soon.

3. No boring dialogue scenes in “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”. Either the dialogues are panning front to back (they are walking) or they are fighting martial arts while talking. It’s effectively hilarious, but almost seems natural given the setting (heated arguments). :D

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
My system evolved in layers. I started with a dedicated 16x20 room and 7.1 configuration. Later, I added a second sub for 7.2. Then a receiver upgrade meant adding front heights for 9.2. A further receiver upgrade allowed the addition of top middles, for a current configuration of 7.2.4. Each addition was worthwhile, though the front heights alone (Dolby IIz) didn't do much. The full 4 speaker Atmos configuration was much more satisfying.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis