The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I fully understand.:D Quite right, and don't worry I won't detailing anymore of the films:D, it is just largely a lot more of the same.o_O:(

I unfortunately got hooked on it back in the 70s. Have often read the books, although only once, for the hobbit, and have original Ralph Bakshi animation:D (shame the 2nd part fell through) as well the numerous Jackson offerings.:) Tolkien stole a lot of the inspiration from Norse, Germanic and Arthurian legends and so the history behind it is also interesting to me.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The Equalizer (2014)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL professional
46712871_10156663151025149_4907497007561572352_n.jpg

Director: Antoine Fuqua brings the tv show of same title The Equalizer to the big screen teaming up with (Denzel Washington) as Robert McCall ex CIA takes on the Russian mafia.

The Dolby Atmos mix had some creative use of sound panning that pleased my ears with few rewinds to listen too again such as cars circling fulling around the speakers or trains overhead on bridges to off-screen shots where a knock on the door is behind which creates a believably sense of sort of being there. Some dialogue pans are used that track across from centre to left-centre with the footsteps finally heard on left channel of the screen.

46508289_10156663151280149_699104995139649536_n.jpg

Overhead sounds such as helicopter heard in the distance on rear right overhead then moving in around the right surround arrays then again heard over front right overhead.

46503715_10156663151835149_2970813927862042624_n.jpg

The action in showdown shootout in the diy store was great.

Photography was nicely done by Mauro Fiore with natural look over some movies that have dreadful tinted shades and muted colours. The colours here are nice from daytime scenes to nighttime scenes with darker shadows stand out clean and clear. Different DP for upcoming EQ2 Oliver Wood of Die Hard 2, Face/Off, U-571 and the Jason Bourne movies.

Music was good by Harry Gregson-Williams who has also scored EQ2 soon to be released on DVD/bluray/UHD4k.

Okay looking forward to The Equalizer 2.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Equalizer (2014)
Dolby Atmos / Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system / JBL professional
View attachment 26820

Director: Antoine Fuqua brings the tv show of same title The Equalizer to the big screen teaming up with (Denzel Washington) as Robert McCall ex CIA takes on the Russian mafia.

The Dolby Atmos mix had some creative use of sound panning that pleased my ears with few rewinds to listen too again such as cars circling fulling around the speakers or trains overhead on bridges to off-screen shots where a knock on the door is behind which creates a believably sense of sort of being there. Some dialogue pans are used that track across from centre to left-centre with the footsteps finally heard on left channel of the screen.

View attachment 26821

Overhead sounds such as helicopter heard in the distance on rear right overhead then moving in around the right surround arrays then again heard over front right overhead.

View attachment 26822

The action in showdown shootout in the diy store was great.

Photography was nicely done by Mauro Fiore with natural look over some movies that have dreadful tinted shades and muted colours. The colours here are nice from daytime scenes to nighttime scenes with darker shadows stand out clean and clear. Different DP for upcoming EQ2 Oliver Wood of Die Hard 2, Face/Off, U-571 and the Jason Bourne movies.

Music was good by Harry Gregson-Williams who has also scored EQ2 soon to be released on DVD/bluray/UHD4k.

Okay looking forward to The Equalizer 2.
Your reviews are like 100% better than mine. :D

I hope they will reboot an Equalizer TV series. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I fully understand.:D Quite right, and don't worry I won't detailing anymore of the films:D, it is just largely a lot more of the same.o_O:(

I unfortunately got hooked on it back in the 70s. Have often read the books, although only once, for the hobbit, and have original Ralph Bakshi animation:D (shame the 2nd part fell through) as well the numerous Jackson offerings.:) Tolkien stole a lot of the inspiration from Norse, Germanic and Arthurian legends and so the history behind it is also interesting to me.
Since you are such a huge fan of the Tolkien works, can we assume that if they remaster the 6 films in Atmos, you would buy them? :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Your reviews are like 100% better than mine. :D

I hope they will reboot an Equalizer TV series. :D
Are they now. So lets see now. Are you ready got the camera ready! Screen shots of the same scene.

Tell me what you think is sound wrong with this scene.

46507723_10156663276385149_2636960678220398592_n.jpg
46667502_10156663276625149_4166769681924882432_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I give up. What's wrong with the scene?
Well I like public transportation and the music mix was bit bass heavy even in LFE.1 but that's not important. The bus just didn't feel or sound right. Not enough vibration I needn't have to point out all the rest of the details but details I like details. Some buses even thou same bus type some would have windows that jitter rattle mildly and that is complex sound and Atmos I thought it had a hundred so surrounds to do all this?

Wheel vibrations across the road and bridge surface would often have seems in the road surface or some unevenness when even the suspension goes over any dip or bump there should be noticeable vibration even for a short few second scene. Its typical sound cliches that sound mixes always seem to get wrong.

Did you notice the power-saw in the DIY store how soft it sounded against everything else. Power-saw would easily been the +100db range but I like the movie mix it was okay. I guess you like to compare EQ with DIE HARD and the power-saw on one of floor levels. Then again I hate power-saw Earplugs must be worn unless one likes to have high frequency loss in their hearing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I like public transportation and the music mix was bit bass heavy even in LFE.1 but that's not important. The bus just didn't feel or sound right. Not enough vibration I needn't have to point out all the rest of the details but details I like details. Some buses even thou same bus type some would have windows that jitter rattle mildly and that is complex sound and Atmos I thought it had a hundred so surrounds to do all this?

Wheel vibrations across the road and bridge surface would often have seems in the road surface or some unevenness when even the suspension goes over any dip or bump there should be noticeable vibration even for a short few second scene. Its typical sound cliches that sound mixes always seem to get wrong.

Did you notice the power-saw in the DIY store how soft it sounded against everything else. Power-saw would easily been the +100db range but I like the movie mix it was okay. I guess you like to compare EQ with DIE HARD and the power-saw on one of floor levels. Then again I hate power-saw Earplugs must be worn unless one likes to have high frequency loss in their hearing.
You definitely don't miss anything! :D

I tend not to notice a lot of fine details like that. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
You definitely don't miss anything! :D

I tend not to notice a lot of fine details like that. :D
Well the Atmos marketing as been bit of bragging its this and that its like real life, something along those lines I think?

Oh well on with a past film that was up for a best sound in 1986 but lost out to Platoon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well the Atmos marketing as been bit of bragging its this and that its like real life, something along those lines I think?
Yeah, you're 100% correct.

So far, I think those Atmos people are full of crap. :D

Atmos is entertaining. But you're right, Atmos is definitely not 100% real-life accurate sound. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Yeah, you're 100% correct.

So far, I think those Atmos people are full of crap. :D

Atmos is entertaining. But you're right, Atmos is definitely not 100% real-life accurate sound. :D
lol That's hash and technically its true :D otherwise I would have ditched EQ1, you know where just for that bus scene and the train scene as well. One if your standing some distance away from it you'd hear the lows but won't feel it. When it cuts to the interior of the train where everyone is-ether sat in a seat or standing up would feel mechanical vibration like I have countless times. Sometimes its embarrassing with the bass shakers that there is hardly anything of tactile vibration to feel and this is a modern Atmos day movie.

EQ-4k hype has suddenly worn off on me. Time for a DVD.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Since you are such a huge fan of the Tolkien works, can we assume that if they remaster the 6 films in Atmos, you would buy them?
Quite probably, and likely do the same for Star Wars. :D

Did watch Maleficent and was quite pleased with vocal panning, overall surround and up mix. That has flying around for you. :eek:

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
i just bought pioneer atmos enabled speakers. calibrated with my denon x3300, i have samsung 8500 bluray player
rented mad max and beyond and hacksaw ridge. from redbox.
i dont think i got the atmos effect from those movies. only selection on the denon other than the usual was either dts/dolby surround. but i read that only simulates the effect. wondering if i am missing some setting.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
i just bought pioneer atmos enabled speakers. calibrated with my denon x3300, i have samsung 8500 bluray player
rented mad max and beyond and hacksaw ridge. from redbox.
i dont think i got the atmos effect from those movies. only selection on the denon other than the usual was either dts/dolby surround. but i read that only simulates the effect. wondering if i am missing some setting.
From what I’ve seen, those have to be very careful installed to accurately hit the proper angles to beam to the LP. For example if your ceiling is taller they might have to be a couple feet above the mains rather than on top of them. Or the angle has to be steeper. If the ceiling is too high Think of a bank shot in pool from the speaker to your ears.

If you can forgive(and understand) my cave man drawing, you’ll see how changing the height of the ceiling, or the atmos enabled speakers, or the distance of the mains even can alter where the sound lands.
Disclaimer: all numbers are arbitrary. Lol
Edit:another way to address the angles would be to raise the front or back of the atmos modules rather than raise them up higher altogether. Also, are they toed in towards the LP?

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
The Matrix in Atmos is pretty freakin awesome!

What if I told you Morpheus never says "what if I told you..."

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Re-positioned the Equalizers entrance as McCall knocks five times on the door on the stereo back surrounds its centre phantom meaning its a little confusing is it to the left of me or to the right of me or is it in the middle? It must therefore be in the centre of the stereo rear back.

46519883_10156663810235149_2066031878153961472_n.jpg

As camera is facing forwards of the Russians office with boss at the centre middle of the room where the first few of the knocks is heard at then quick cut to the right side middle of the office at the bar where the door is still off-screen located behind the bar by a 10 feet away with last few knocks on the door.

46812905_10156663810500149_4020903942488588288_n.jpg

Wired in a centre middle back between the stereo rear back which isn't uncommon if you happen to have spare AVR wire it up to the stereo rear back surrounds on the main AVR's Rear back LR connected to extra AVR of any of the LR inputs and wire the back surrounds onto LR front output terminals with centre middle wired to centre front and press PL, PLII or PLIIx for a new extra middle back surround channel.

Took me 40 mins behind my rack as there is a lot of cables behind it patched into 64 channel patch-bay.

46789532_10156663800980149_7934457500990963712_n.jpg

Top Dolby CP45 is used for the back surrounds while the one on the bottom is used for the regular stereo side surrounds that is also wired to matrix a middle overhead from stereo side surrounds signal and below surround underneath the seats.

I can still take an extra signal from top CP45 which would be the matrix rear to see what sort of signal is there where to best to place the speaker/s.

Chapter 3, where McCall first runs in with Russians and the take the girl in the car as it drives around McCall, the engine and wheels against the road surface - 0:20.43 starting at the front left, to left surround and the car engine gets a little louder as its riving up then moves around the back surrounds from left to middle centre back to right back, to right surround and off as the camera cuts to another angle the tonal sound of the car is mixed differently as it drives off onto the right-centre then right channel, all just within few seconds.

Another one of Antoine Fuqua films "Training Day" (2001) has lot of car sound panning and strangely (Denzel Washington) mixed up again with Russians again as well as Crimson Tide (1995) directed by the late Tony Scott.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Quite probably, and likely do the same for Star Wars. :D

Did watch Maleficent and was quite pleased with vocal panning, overall surround and up mix. That has flying around for you. :eek:
Oh, yeah, I hope they release “Maleficent 2014” in 4K/ATMOS. That’s the same year release as Equalizer 1.

So it’s on my wish list as well as “Edge of Tomorrow 2014”. Must have been a good year. :D

You’d have to be a hardcore Star Wars fan to want all those movies remastered in ATMOS. :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Oh, yeah, I hope they release “Maleficent 2014” in 4K/ATMOS. That’s the same year release as Equalizer 1.

So it’s on my wish list as well as “Edge of Tomorrow 2014”. Must have been a good year. :D

You’d have to be a hardcore Star Wars fan to want all those movies remastered in ATMOS. :D
Its been available for few years https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Magnificent-Seven-4K-Blu-ray/164901/

Just ordered it be shooting out on Monday. Have the bluray dtshdma 7.1 which sounded okay.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I noticed my Marantz SR6012 has on screen display that shows front-wide LR but the AVR isn't equipped with processing outputs expect for the Height 1 and Height 2.

Strange front wide channels came about around 2009 and I was listening a little earlier than that and noticed some films that had signals that was wide spread that was between the front LR and surround channels it was as if the signal wasn't steered fully around so it would be isolated from the surround LR or from the front LR but more less Phantom Imaging between the Surround Left and Front left or Surround Right and Front Right.

I did a rough diagram of how I would have implemented at the time if I had the extra two matching pair pro-logic decoders wired to front L and surround L / front R and surround R to sum up the phantom centre signals and place the signal on an actual speaker rather than having it floating in phantom signal way between the speakers as the signal had good strong presence for decoding.

I don't know maybe someone read my post and patented it into a front wide as those first AVR's was a bit pricey and yet now they are cheap and now seems the front wide is fading away reading about it elsewhere.

Some later films on DVD I noticed with Flight Plan (2005) and earlier films on DVD The Mummy (1999)
JBLsidewallmiddlesurround.jpg
JBLsidewallmiddlesurroundtheMummy.jpg

My concept would have placed the extra channel between the surrounds but seems like maybe someone thought it best to have it the other way which I seem to agree with.
Centremiddlesidewallsuuround.jpg

I may buy a cheap Onkyo AVR and give it a listen so been watching one for a month or more TX-NR807 be here in few days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis