The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
DSU is so good it sounds like Dolby Digital almost. :)
Yeah, DSU turns my 2CH into DD + Ceiling Surround effects.

The salient thing is how awesome the Center Dialogue sounds with DSU. The Rear Surround + Ceiling Surround ambience is a plus.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, DSU turns my 2CH into DD + Ceiling Surround effects.

The salient thing is how awesome the Center Dialogue sounds with DSU. The rear Surround + Ceiling Surround ambience is a plus.
Ya I’ve been trying to figure out an external amp for my front 3. Leaning towards 3 of the Outlaw m2200 monoblocks. Then 5.1.4 will be the plan. My ceiling has attic space so easy install for 4 ceiling speakers at 8 1/2 feet above.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya I’ve been trying to figure out an external amp for my front 3. Leaning towards 3 of the Outlaw m2200 monoblocks. Then 5.1.4 will be the plan. My ceiling has attic space so easy install for 4 ceiling speakers at 8 1/2 feet above.
That sounds like a good plan. I assume your AVR doesn’t have enough amps for 5.1.4?

I think the 3 best options would be the Outlaw 5000 (140W x 5), 2200 (200w x 3), or Monolith 200W x 3 amp.

If I had an AVR, I’d probably get the model 5000. I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between 140w vs 200w.

@TechHDS is planning his Atmos 5.1.4 setup as well, except his plan simply involves the AVR, not any external amps.

Fun stuff.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That sounds like a good plan. I assume your AVR doesn’t have enough amps for 5.1.4?

I think the 3 best options would be the Outlaw 5000 (140W x 5), 2200 (200w x 3), or Monolith 200W x 3 amp.

If I had an AVR, I’d probably get the model 5000. I don’t think there’s a lot of difference between 140w vs 200w.

@TechHDS is planning his Atmos 5.1.4 setup as well, except his plan simply involves the AVR, not any external amps.

Fun stuff.
Yes those are my 3 options. Or internal 9 ch of the Yamaha RX-A2060 is the other option. I see the model 5000 got a great review so maybe that is a good way to go.

TechHDS

Audioholic General

I think the 3 best options would be the Outlaw 5000 (140W x 5),2200 (200w x 3),or Monolith 200W x 3 amp.

Fun stuff.
Umm, yep! AVR will drive my overhead speakers, XPA 5 will drive the RBH Elites. :)Hey Gotta give the AVR amp/amps :rolleyes: something to do other than process and look pretty. :D

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yes those are my 3 options. Or internal 9 ch of the Yamaha RX-A2060 is the other option. I see the model 5000 got a great review so maybe that is a good way to go.
Snakeeyes, I wouldn’t have any problem buying that 5000 Outlaw Multi channel amp. I read and saw Gene’s review and his test results of that amp its power output is very underrated.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Snakeeyes, I wouldn’t have any problem buying that 5000 Outlaw Multi channel amp. I read and saw Gene’s review and his test results of that amp its power output is very underrated.

Mike
I am thinking that gets me more cash toward the 4 ceiling speakers. :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I am thinking that gets me more cash toward the 4 ceiling speakers. :)
I’m going to go 4 on ceiling to! I mean why not, they don’t have to be big or expensive. I’ll pick up 4 good satellite speakers with at least a 5 1/2” driver. Was going to go with front height, or rear surrounds 7.1 but everyone is saying how much better 5.2.4 or 5.1.4 is much better “Atmos”.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m going to go 4 on ceiling to! I mean why not, they don’t have to be big or expensive. I’ll pick up 4 good satellite speakers with at least a 5 1/2” driver. Was going to go with front height, or rear surrounds 7.1 but everyone is saying how much better 5.2.4 or 5.1.4 is much better “Atmos”.

Mike
4 ceiling speakers seems right to me. I don’t need surround back for a single couch of seating. If I had rows of seats then 7.1.4 would make sense.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Umm, yep! AVR will drive my overhead speakers, XPA 5 will drive the RBH Elites. :)Hey Gotta give the AVR amp/amps :rolleyes: something to do other than process and look pretty. :D

Mike
It looks like you guys have very similar plans! :D

Use external amp to power at least the front 3 speakers (or all five speakers in the 5.1.4) and let the AVR power the surrounds and/or ceiling speakers.

Definitely all valid options. There’s more than one way to eat a Reese’s Pieces. :D

It all comes down to personal ideas and “identities”.

I think for most situations, with the exception of multi-channel Stereo DSP Mode, Atmos and DTSX will be just fine with the AVR’s internal amps, especially the higher-end AVR like RX-A2000 and A3000 series.

But everyone thinks differently.

Do your speakers really need an external amp?

Will using an external amp prolong the life of your AVR?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like you guys have very similar plans! :D

Use external amp to power at least the front 3 speakers (or all five speakers in the 5.1.4) and let the AVR power the surrounds and/or ceiling speakers.

Definitely all valid options. There’s more than one way to eat a Reese’s Pieces. :D

It all comes down to personal ideas and “identities”.

I think for most situations, with the exception of multi-channel Stereo DSP Mode, Atmos and DTSX will be just fine with the AVR’s internal amps, especially the higher-end AVR like RX-A2000 and A3000 series.

But everyone thinks differently.

Do your speakers really need an external amp?

Will using an external amp prolong the life of your AVR?
Ya I’m thinking to try without the amp first. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looong story short...
They are installed but my avr purchase got benched temporarily. I did however make a couple temporary enclosures for them and used them as mains in my bedroom 5.2(maybe 5.1.2 someday) system. I can say they are amazing. Imaging is spectacular and I can not wait any more to finish that damn job.
I think I may start off with annihilation as DP nodded to. My buddy has a 5.4.4 atmos system in a more dedicated space than me so I’m not totally without Atmos. And 7.3 in my LR has a lot going for it too. Tired of waiting though...
I think I’ll try the RSL 34E in 5.1.4. All these threads have me excited about Atmos. :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
It will be a Frankenstein approach as I haven’t chosen the new base layer speakers. Temporarily will be my Def Tech BP10B PM500 and SR9040.
Snakeeyes, same here, LCR will be Elites, surrounds will be my T15 Polks they do a good job for now and the 4 up on the ceiling will be good satellites with the mounting bracket on them. They got some decent ones out there for not a lot of coin. But gotta have the front 3 matching.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will be a Frankenstein approach as I haven’t chosen the new base layer speakers. Temporarily will be my Def Tech BP10B PM500 and SR9040.
So right now you have all DefTech base-layer speakers, but you're planning on changing all of them?

To all RSL speakers?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Snakeeyes, same here, LCR will be Elites, surrounds will be my T15 Polks they do a good job for now and the 4 up on the ceiling will be good satellites with the mounting bracket on them. They got some decent ones out there for not a lot of coin. But gotta have the front 3 matching.

Mike
Ya I’m going for Atmos. The rest will fall into place. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So right now you have all DefTech base-layer speakers, but you're planning on changing all of them?

To all RSL speakers?
That’s a likely route. There is a new slightly larger RSL series coming out in November.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Mike
Salient speakers are the main front 3 speakers for sure.

The rest of the speakers aren't as important.

So not an issue if they don't match brands. :D

Some people do want to match brands for all speakers, though. :D

I think some people, especially newbies, will ask the question, "How important is matching my Atmos speakers with the rest of my speakers?".

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis