The difference between pro and home-audio TT needles?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks. I already did this. It reduces the phenomenon, but doesn't stop it. Lightest touches on the TT makes quite a noise.
That's the unfortunate thing about some turntables- the cost of a separate suspension is high.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@TLS Guy I must say, I'm really satisfied with the cartridge. Thanks TLS, maybe it's all in my hed, but it sounds better to me than the previous one. What awaits me now is a lot of record cleaning, boy do I hate that chore. I'd rather pay someone to clean them for me. Setting up was all done by hand, so I still don't know if it's precise, probably not. It'll have to wait for some meassuring devices. I did the arm zero balance by trials and errors and then I had to trust the scale printed on the weight to add tracking force. It might be off.

Sources on anti-skating are all over the place, ranging from it is not neccessary at all to very important.

That's the unfortunate thing about some turntables- the cost of a separate suspension is high.
What I gathered from your previous post is that if pressing on the base of the TT doesn't stop the audio feedback, then it is transmitted thru the air? You kinda worded it that way, perhaps I'm wrong. I mean, if it's air, then the unfortuante thing is not about the turntable, right?

I asked some od these questions on the vinylengine, but it would appear I was simply too much for that forum as it crashed after my questions... :D:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@TLS Guy I must say, I'm really satisfied with the cartridge. Thanks TLS, maybe it's all in my hed, but it sounds better to me than the previous one. What awaits me now is a lot of record cleaning, boy do I hate that chore. I'd rather pay someone to clean them for me. Setting up was all done by hand, so I still don't know if it's precise, probably not. It'll have to wait for some meassuring devices. I did the arm zero balance by trials and errors and then I had to trust the scale printed on the weight to add tracking force. It might be off.

Sources on anti-skating are all over the place, ranging from it is not neccessary at all to very important.

What I gathered from your previous post is that if pressing on the base of the TT doesn't stop the audio feedback, then it is transmitted thru the air? You kinda worded it that way, perhaps I'm wrong. I mean, if it's air, then the unfortuante thing is not about the turntable, right?

I asked some od these questions on the vinylengine, but it would appear I was simply too much for that forum as it crashed after my questions... :D:D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5SD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this, you can see it in use on my avatar. I realize you likely can't easily order for Amazon, and the price right now on there is silly!

I paid ~$23

highfigh

highfigh

You broke a website?

Anti-skate, as a concept, is a bit counter-intuitive but it's a reality because a stylus on a pivoting tonearm is really in alignment at a couple of spots and very nearly in alignment for much of the rest and the forces acting on it are, apparently, stronger at the outer areas if the weight on a string devices are any indication.

If the base is made inert by pressing on it, the sound must be affecting the tonearm and cartridge. Sometimes, the dust cover plays a part- I had a JVC turntable with an Empire 2000eIII cartridge and it didn't take much to make it howl. It was much better if the cover was open. Nice looking table, though. I never tried another cartridge on that one- I just replaced it after realizing it was a bad design.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
You broke a website?

Anti-skate, as a concept, is a bit counter-intuitive but it's a reality because a stylus on a pivoting tonearm is really in alignment at a couple of spots and very nearly in alignment for much of the rest and the forces acting on it are, apparently, stronger at the outer areas if the weight on a string devices are any indication.

If the base is made inert by pressing on it, the sound must be affecting the tonearm and cartridge. Sometimes, the dust cover plays a part- I had a JVC turntable with an Empire 2000eIII cartridge and it didn't take much to make it howl. It was much better if the cover was open. Nice looking table, though. I never tried another cartridge on that one- I just replaced it after realizing it was a bad design.
[/QUOTE]
Was the cartridge or the table a bad design? :)
I had an empire 2000eIII way back in the late 70s early 80s on a Technics and never noticed that problem. I didn't have it very long as I replaced it with a much better Shure V15 Type 3 shortly afterwards so maybe I did have the problem but didnt notice it.

highfigh

highfigh

I had an empire 2000eIII way back in the late 70s early 80s on a Technics and never noticed that problem. I didn't have it very long as I replaced it with a much better Shure V15 Type 3 shortly afterwards so maybe I did have the problem but didnt notice it.[/QUOTE]

It was the table- I used to call it 'The Feedback Special'. Particle board base, wood grain- not bad looking, though.

1557578535741.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You broke a website?
It was just a self-depricating joke; I asked so many questions that the forum froze.

BTW, I've calculated a solid 9.6(sumthin', sumthin') Hz resonant freq. Another thing to be happy about. I was away on a business trip (which is what we call nearly ending up in an ER from all the superb wine and food in my company),so I didn't try moving the TT around yet (didn't even get a longer interconnect, for that matter).

I was trying to get a crash course in tone arm tuning (the overhang and all). I must say the technology is very, very funny to me with all the tracking errors and people supposedly giving tens of thousands of dollars for some cartridges and then still having the tracking error as it is suppose to be inevitable...o_O And the fact that a lot of amps cut-off everything bellow and above a certain freq, but vinyl people still mind that with digital files, but not with vinyls...

It's all amusing. Since I got it the way I did, I'd even buy a new LP record just out of curiosity. To see how modern music sounds on that medium.

I've oiled the motor following Technics instructions. I would really like to be able to check the susspension and the feet. I'm wondering if there are some parts or liquids that could get spent over the years.

No rush. It's just a hobby.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

[QUOTE="killdozzer, post: 1315885, member: 68331"(didn't even get a longer interconnect, for that matter).

I was trying to get a crash course in tone arm tuning (the overhang and all). I must say the technology is very, very funny to me with all the tracking errors and people supposedly giving tens of thousands of dollars for some cartridges and then still having the tracking error as it is suppose to be inevitable...o_O And the fact that a lot of amps cut-off everything bellow and above a certain freq, but vinyl people still mind that with digital files, but not with vinyls...

It's all amusing. Since I got it the way I did, I'd even buy a new LP record just out of curiosity. To see how modern music sounds on that medium.

I've oiled the motor following Technics instructions. I would really like to be able to check the susspension and the feet. I'm wondering if there are some parts or liquids that could get spent over the years.

No rush. It's just a hobby.[/QUOTE]

Be careful with extending the cables- the interaction between cables and cartridge can skew the frequency response (add/capacitance and resistance) more than any other source.

As flawed as vinyl is as a medium, it can definitely sound excellent. I went to an audio equipment rep's house to listen to some speakers and he played only vinyl- all of it could have come from my collection, but he has his own. I didn't ask what he's using for a cartridge and I forgot what he has for a table, but the system is comprised of extremely expensive equipment. I have to say that it was easy to forget that I was listening to vinyl but he really needs to position his speakers better. I'm not going to spend that kind of money, but if money was no object, I would probably spend a lot on a system.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Be careful with extending the cables- the interaction between cables and cartridge can skew the frequency response (add/capacitance and resistance) more than any other source.
Thank you for this. The cable length won't change between the TT and the NAD preamp, but between the NAD preamp and the Yamaha AVR (don't ask, it's just what I have at the moment) it will. It'll run 3m (9 feet). I'll even use it to leave the TT in another room, just to experiment a bit.

As flawed as vinyl is as a medium, it can definitely sound excellent.
Absolutely. I already liked Ry Cooder on my system as it is. It can be very enjoyable.

highfigh

highfigh

Thank you for this. The cable length won't change between the TT and the NAD preamp, but between the NAD preamp and the Yamaha AVR (don't ask, it's just what I have at the moment) it will. It'll run 3m (9 feet). I'll even use it to leave the TT in another room, just to experiment a bit.

Absolutely. I already liked Ry Cooder on my system as it is. It can be very enjoyable.
Which album? 'Bop Til You Drop' was the first LP with DDD SPARS code.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had an empire 2000eIII way back in the late 70s early 80s on a Technics and never noticed that problem. I didn't have it very long as I replaced it with a much better Shure V15 Type 3 shortly afterwards so maybe I did have the problem but didnt notice it.
It was the table- I used to call it 'The Feedback Special'. Particle board base, wood grain- not bad looking, though.

View attachment 29383[/QUOTE]
That is a good looking table. BTW I always remove the dustcover when I play LPs on my Rega Planar 3 even though Roy Gandy of Rega says its not necessary.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is the LP extremely flat? If not, you'll see movement, especially if the preamp doesn't have a subsonic filter.
Thanks. Some are flat enough not to be able to notice any tone arm rising when looking from a side. Some are not, but the pulsating doesn't correlate to tone arm rising on the bad records. Anyway, I guess it would go away with flat records, so I'm guessing it's not that.

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks. Some are flat enough not to be able to notice any tone arm rising when looking from a side. Some are not, but the pulsating doesn't correlate to tone arm rising on the bad records. Anyway, I guess it would go away with flat records, so I'm guessing it's not that.
You can check by raising the tonearm- if this never happens when the arm is in the raised position, it's the LPs.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Which cartridge alignment method did you use?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You can check by raising the tonearm- if this never happens when the arm is in the raised position, it's the LPs.
Thank you. Is this so bullet proof as you say? I must say, much to TLS's dread, that I'm slowly coming back to where I first started. This is why; no cone pulsating can be noticed with the tone-arm lifted, BUT, the pulsating is also lighter or even barely noticable when the tone-arm is close to the spindle. This is why I'm back to wondering whether this could originate from the TT's mechanism itself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis