The best type of Y splitter

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say any of them should work fine. I don't like the style of number 2, tho, just gets in the way of other connections on the rear panel of an avr with myriad connections. I have a couple of the Mediabridge splitters in use now....

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I'd say any of them should work fine. I don't like the style of number 2, tho, just gets in the way of other connections on the rear panel of an avr with myriad connections. I have a couple of the Mediabridge splitters in use now....
I lose something using it in a out of a receiver with independent subwoofer outs ?
Example:
The Avr send the signal in one cable rca = ok
The avr send the signal in this splitter, how this works ? Is the signal cut in half or is a double strength signal sent?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I lose something using it in a out of a receiver with independent subwoofer outs ?
Example:
The Avr send the signal in one cable rca = ok
The avr send the signal in this splitter, how this works ? Is the signal cut in half or is a double strength signal sent?
Barely makes a difference but won't increase the signal otoh, you can even run multiple splitters for more subs without issue although apparently with a sufficient number you can eventually reach a point where it becomes an issue. Believe there's no problem with the voltage involved when you split, but eventually an impedance issue can arise if split enough times but maybe someone like @PENG can give an explanation.

Does your avr have indpendent adjustment of level/delay for the two sub pre-outs? If not your avr just has an internal splitter for the two sub pre-outs in use....

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Barely makes a difference but won't increase the signal otoh, you can even run multiple splitters for more subs without issue although apparently with a sufficient number you can eventually reach a point where it becomes an issue. Believe there's no problem with the voltage involved when you split, but eventually an impedance issue can arise if split enough times but maybe someone like @PENG can give an explanation.

Does your avr have indpendent adjustment of level/delay for the two sub pre-outs? If not your avr just has an internal splitter for the two sub pre-outs in use....
Yes he have indpendent adjustment of level/delay for the two sub pre-outs.

Wouldn't model 2 be better for not involving cabling and becoming less prone to interference?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I have to the Media Bridge also in my system and it works fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes he have indpendent adjustment of level/delay for the two sub pre-outs.

Wouldn't model 2 be better for not involving cabling and becoming less prone to interference?
If it doesn't get in the way or stress the jack go ahead....what interference are you referring to, tho?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer #2. The other 3 are basically the same and just look different lol. Don't think interference will be an issue.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I prefer #2. The other 3 are basically the same and just look different lol. Don't think interference will be an issue.
The other models the cable was shielded, in the model 2 i think don`t have any shield.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good to know.

Emi / RFI ...
Why are you worried about that? Live next to some generator of such? Maybe on a long run of rca cable that's poorly shielded that might be a concern....but very unlikely on a short length like the splitters mentioned.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Using splitters creates parallel connections, so the voltage stays the same, but the current demand on the pre-amp increases. The ability of a pre-amp to meet current demands is indicated by the output impedance of the pre-amp and the input impedance of the subwoofers' amplifiers. Running three subs in parallel means the input impedance of the connected subwoofer amps will be one quarter of the input impedance of one subwoofer. So, if the input impedance of one sub is 50K ohms, as an example, the input impedance of the entire split set of three will be 12,500 ohms. That shouldn't be a problem unless the pre-amp subwoofer output is weak. A rule of thumb I've read is that output impedance of a pre-amp should be less than 1/10th the input impedance of the amp(s). I've never output impedance for AVR pre-outs or sub-outs, but this isn't all that demanding, IMO.

Edit: Dumb mistake. Assuming the splitters are serialized so the topology is a tree, it's 18,812 ohms. Not much of a difference, but not 12,500. Serves me right for multi-tasking.

Last edited:
fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Why are you worried about that? Live next to some generator of such? Maybe on a long run of rca cable that's poorly shielded that might be a concern....but very unlikely on a short length like the splitters mentioned.
Because people say that due to the excessive amount of cables behind an avr there is a lot of noise.

Using splitters creates parallel connections, so the voltage stays the same, but the current demand on the pre-amp increases. The ability of a pre-amp to meet current demands is indicated by the output impedance of the pre-amp and the input impedance of the subwoofers' amplifiers. Running three subs in parallel means the input impedance of the connected subwoofer amps will be one quarter of the input impedance of one subwoofer. So, if the input impedance of one sub is 50K ohms, as an example, the input impedance of the entire split set of three will be 12,500 ohms. That shouldn't be a problem unless the pre-amp subwoofer output is weak. A rule of thumb I've read is that output impedance of a pre-amp should be less than 1/10th the input impedance of the amp(s). I've never output impedance for AVR pre-outs or sub-outs, but this isn't all that demanding, IMO.
Thanks for help.
My system at moment is 2 sb 3000 + denon 3500h ( Only using pre outs ) , i'm thinking in get more 1 sb 3000, and more later a marantz 7705 ( For full benefits of pre outs )

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Grade A virgin and unfiltered.
hahahah

Im my case, if i use this Y splitter.
1 pre out sub = 1 sub = audyssey will do eq in this
1 pre out sub = 2 sub with Y splitter = audyssey will do the same eq in both ? Or each one will be a different eq separate ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you have AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature in your avr, then anything connected to pre-out 1 would be different from pre-out 2 for adjustment of delay/level. If you can place two identical subs equi-distant I'd put those on the same sub pre-out. All the feature does is set level/delay (distance = delay) for two different subs, they will be eq'd together (which is preferred for a multi sub setup generally).

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
If you have AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature in your avr, then anything connected to pre-out 1 would be different from pre-out 2 for adjustment of delay/level. If you can place two identical subs equi-distant I'd put those on the same sub pre-out. All the feature does is set level/delay (distance = delay) for two different subs, they will be eq'd together (which is preferred for a multi sub setup generally).
He have AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature.

My bedroom have arround 1000 cubic feet, and I am an enthusiast.

I felt a lot more dynamic, more "power" seems to me that the low frequencies have an upgrade, so I'm thinking of maybe putting one more sub in this position:

Of course it is not the ideal position, my room is small, my options are only at the front, so I ask you, will I have more benefits like what I had going from 1 to 2?
I Will have cancelations because they are Very close ?

IMG_20191024_070021516.jpg

Approximate measurements ( I didn't get to measure the maximum power where the compression starts, I put a random volume ) at 3 places of listening position (My bed) with 2 SB 3000
Crossover 80hz and lfe 120
1.jpg

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis