The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Question-Is the Audyssey Multieq Editor app the same as the Audyssey XT32 in my Marantz SR7015 and will it calibrate dual subs like my AVR does with the XT32?

Thanks,
PG55

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Question-Is the Audyssey Multieq Editor app the same as the Audyssey XT32 in my Marantz SR7015 and will it calibrate dual subs like my AVR does with the XT32?

Thanks,
PG55
The apps available functions match up with the receiver it's controlling. The app just lets you tweak the calibration you'd already be getting by running Audyssey directly from the receiver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The apps available functions match up with the receiver it's controlling. The app just lets you tweak the calibration you'd already be getting by running Audyssey directly from the receiver.
Yes. The main difference is you will need to run setup again through the app instead of the receiver.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes. The main difference is you will need to run setup again through the app instead of the receiver.
That's probably the most annoying part. It "should" be able to read the calibration file from your receiver that already exists instead of making you do another calibration run. My only real compliant.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
That's probably the most annoying part. It "should" be able to read the calibration file from your receiver that already exists instead of making you do another calibration run. My only real compliant.
Thanks for the quick responses. So I am clear. If I run the calibration using the app. When I am done making any adjustments if needed I then send it to the receiver. I don't have to da anything else since the receiver now has the new calibration. Correct?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the quick responses. So I am clear. If I run the calibration using the app. When I am done making any adjustments if needed I then send it to the receiver. I don't have to da anything else since the receiver now has the new calibration. Correct?
You run setup through the app, then send it to your avr. If you make any changes after that, you will have to resend it to your avr.

thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
That's probably the most annoying part. It "should" be able to read the calibration file from your receiver that already exists instead of making you do another calibration run...
In many ways it does just that, once you create a calibration, on the tablet/phone app, you can store it on the portable device, or in a cloud service. When I make a calibration, I save it to my iPad, then duplicate the file to edit it for whatever function I want to tweak. One calibration can have different target curves this way. I make different targets for movies than for high resolution music files, and often one "in-between" the two so movies still sound good, but stereo music files don't have unnatural amounts of low-bass information... I like explosions and earthquakes, they're are loud and bass-heavy-- it's exciting. But I don't like Schubert Piano Trios to sound like they were recorded at a rock concert. So for the detail obsessed, I can open the Audyssey app and send a different curve to my Denon AVR. Once a visiting friend turned to me and said man you really nailed this-- that classical stuff sounded great-- but man I had no idea Bladerunner would be this awesome! Thanks, I smiled. I didn't tell him I had changed target curves while he went to the kitchen for more coffee before the movie started... the app just rocks on my tablet. Bought a better Denon AVR two years after I bought the app. I like it. — thumprchgo

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In many ways it does just that, once you create a calibration, on the tablet/phone app, you can store it on the portable device, or in a cloud service.
What he means is it would be nice if you didn't have to run another calibration with the app if you've already done one without it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right, I guess the App can send but not receive from the AVR, and the AVR can receive from but not send to the App. :D It may have something to do with the fact they have to make different AVRs compatible with different devices used to run the App. You only have to do it once with the App, that's isn't too bad really.

thumprchgo

thumprchgo

Enthusiast
I guess the App can send but not receive from the AVR, and the AVR can receive from but not send to the App. :D
I can save a Denon "setup" file to a usb memory stick attached to the AVR. In there is the ".ady" file the AVR created during a calibration. That file can be imported to the Audyssey mobile app for tweaking, maybe it is just an option on some of the higher-end AVR models, but I can do this in my home.

I encourage you away from the feeling-hassled approach. In some ways, one does calibrations better with more experience calibrating, like a piano tuner, developing his or her ear at the same time as your piano's tone improves.

There is a difference between Bach's well-tempered clavier, and a mathematically correct arranging of which frequencies where the octaves fall.

Bach did it "wrong" a mathematician could tell you, in the higher octaves. But it sounds "right." Science and Art, collaborating sometimes. Sometimes ignoring each other. And we all benefit from all of it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can save a Denon "setup" file to a usb memory stick attached to the AVR. In there is the ".ady" file the AVR created during a calibration. That file can be imported to the Audyssey mobile app for tweaking, maybe it is just an option on some of the higher-end AVR models, but I can do this in my home.

I encourage you away from the feeling-hassled approach. In some ways, one does calibrations better with more experience calibrating, like a piano tuner, developing his or her ear at the same time as your piano's tone improves.

There is a difference between Bach's well-tempered clavier, and a mathematically correct arranging of which frequencies where the octaves fall.

Bach did it "wrong" a mathematician could tell you, in the higher octaves. But it sounds "right." Science and Art, collaborating sometimes. Sometimes ignoring each other. And we all benefit from all of it.
It isn't a feeling hassled issue, it's more of a being in the tech world over 20 years and seeing manufacturers take shortcuts because doing things properly would take too much effort. It never stops.

I am interested in the fact that you said you can plug a USB drive and get the .ady file that way. That should be documented and the app should 100% be able to do this without the effort of plugging in a USB drive and transferring files to my phone/tablet.

When I first used the app it was 100% garbage. It wouldn't work properly on multiple devices of mine. When the updated it to get the bugs out, it works great now.

Companies rush incomplete products to market, including apps, and it's annoying.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

I've been skulking around in the background watching this thread, and wondering if this is worthwhile for my Denon AVRX-4400H => if I use it on the latest iPhone SE. I have a 10 year old iPad which doesn't run much of anything current anymore, so I doubt it would run this. I rarely use it, so I'm not into replacing it.

I'd like to save a couple of setups to a USB stick, but tweaking would be on the SE.

Please advise your opinions. Thanks.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Hi Gents,

I've been skulking around in the background watching this thread, and wondering if this is worthwhile for my Denon AVRX-4400H => if I use it on the latest iPhone SE. I have a 10 year old iPad which doesn't run much of anything current anymore, so I doubt it would run this. I rarely use it, so I'm not into replacing it.

I'd like to save a couple of setups to a USB stick, but tweaking would be on the SE.

I use the app on the Ipad mini3. And I don’t think it would be possible to make changes very easily on a small screen of a phone..Just my opinion.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Gents,

I think it is worth doing it. You don't need an USB thumb drive but it is up to you. You can save as many .ady files as you want on your ipad, iphone or Android devices. Just try to give each file an unique name that you can tell what's special about it. I mean for example, if you want one that limit the EQ range to 300 Hz, you could name it EQTo300. I usually would include the date info in the file name too.

By the way, I agree with @CajunLB , it isn't easy to make changes on a small screen such as the SE's so I highly recommend you do any editing on your PC, using the Ratbuddyssey UI (user interface) that is a free download.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think it is worth doing it. You don't need an USB thumb drive but it is up to you. You can save as many .ady files as you want on your ipad, iphone or Android devices. Just try to give each file an unique name that you can tell what's special about it. I mean for example, if you want one that limit the EQ range to 300 Hz, you could name it EQTo300. I usually would include the date info in the file name too.

By the way, I agree with @CajunLB , it isn't easy to make changes on a small screen such as the SE's so I highly recommend you do any editing on your PC, using the Ratbuddyssey UI (user interface) that is a free download.
Yes. Much easier to do everything on the PC.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the insight Gents. Based on your feedback I was just thinking of mucking about with the SE as sort of a computer just for grins; as I also think the SE Screen will be too small for this App. Supposedly the SE will connect via Bluetooth to a mouse and keyboard (which I have around here somewhere, as I'm a bit of a computer geek). I also have an adapter that will output the screen (and sound) via a Lightning to HDMI adapter with a power port. I have a couple extra monitors to use, or I could plug it into the HDTV TV via the my Denon AVRX-4400H.

Maybe I'll test that out first. Jumping into Ratbuddyssey seems like another learning curve. Maybe I can try it if I get the App going on the SE first. Sounds like I'll be needing help in any case...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the insight Gents. Based on your feedback I was just thinking of mucking about with the SE as sort of a computer just for grins; as I also think the SE Screen will be too small for this App. Supposedly the SE will connect via Bluetooth to a mouse and keyboard (which I have around here somewhere, as I'm a bit of a computer geek). I also have an adapter that will output the screen (and sound) via a Lightning to HDMI adapter with a power port. I have a couple extra monitors to use, or I could plug it into the HDTV TV via the my Denon AVRX-4400H.

Maybe I'll test that out first. Jumping into Ratbuddyssey seems like another learning curve. Maybe I can try it if I get the App going on the SE first. Sounds like I'll be needing help in any case...
Using a mouse should work. Rat is easier to use than one may think, but imo it is more for the OCD type.:D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Using a mouse should work. Rat is easier to use than one may think, but imo it is more for the OCD type.:D
Made for people like me...and you...and @Pogre ....

It really is amazing what you can get it to do if you put in the time. I need to start over since I added my two additional subs, but haven't had time. Also, it already sounds VERY good so I'm interested to see how it measures now. Maybe a weekend project after summer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis