That Sour and bitter drink

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks looks like a good one. I'll contact him to see if he still has it. Thoughts on the Amazon ones? Just regular coffee. No Expresso yet. My cousin was telling me about this great Peru coffee from Aldi.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks looks like a good one. I'll contact him to see if he still has it. Thoughts on the Amazon ones? Just regular coffee. No Expresso yet. My cousin was telling me about this great Peru coffee from Aldi.
you probably would be ok with any good reviews manual grinder (double check the reviews at fakespot.com)
I heard Hario are good, but out of your budget.
Electric ones for $20? Would barely be enough for a blade/spice grinder - these are no good any coffee even drip.
Scout more garage sales in your area.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have this one and used it for years:

https://www.amazon.com/Aikfun-Grinder-Portable-Conical-Ceramic/dp/B07F7QVYH9/ref=sr_1_22?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531152459&sr=1-22&keywords=manual+burr+coffee+grinder

but it didn't come with the lid or extra container, so that's a good deal

For electric, I would not get the blade ones, I'd be looking at burr or stick with the first three you mentioned.

For inexpensive electric, I now use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531152617&sr=1-6&keywords=burr+coffee+grinder&dpID=51-kUtaLSLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thank guys. I bought them from the CL seller before I saw your replies. He actually had two for sale and I bought both for 10$.:eek:;) I'll save up later and buy the ones you guys mentioned.:cool:

Gonna give both of them a good clean this weekend. This is actually a Peppermill, but some people use it for grinding coffee beans: https://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/mabana-pepper-mill/

Thanks BSA. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank guys. I bought them from the CL seller before I saw your replies. He actually had two for sale and I bought both for 10$.:eek:;) I'll save up later and buy the ones you guys mentioned.:cool:

Gonna give both of them a good clean this weekend. This is actually a Peppermill, but some people use it for grinding coffee beans: https://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/mabana-pepper-mill/

Thanks BSA. :)
Mabana is a conical-burr grinder which is the right way to grind coffee. Hope that its adjustment range would work for you.
Mr. Coffee called a coffee grinder, but it's really should only be used as a spice grinder since it's blade grind would never produce the consistent results.
Here's a good video:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
While I know Mr. Coffee is not great this guy made it work with basically the same models:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It just kind of depends on what you're after. With a blade, you don't have the ability to choose fine or coarse and the results are sort of random. It works, but at some point you are looking for the ability to select the grind, you know :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yikes 600$.:eek: Rather buy Dennis speakers. :D Anyone try the Aldi Organic Peru beans I bought?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yikes 600$.:eek: Rather buy Dennis speakers. :D Anyone try the Aldi Organic Peru beans I bought?
Let's just say that this my 3rd grinder (hopefully last) and compared to the price of espresso machine is actually affordable.
If i bought it as my first, I'd actually save by not buying other grinders. I've used this concept then i was shopping for espresso machine. This one is last one I'd ever need.
I've also did not pay full price for either.

Probably the Most important thing about buying coffee beans is how fresh they are and the only thing that affects it, is how recently these been roasted. If coffee beans don't have roast day labeled on them, I'd won't buy them. Acceptable shelf life of roasted whole beanso is up to 3 months. Much less if ground.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Picked up some Blue Bottle Winter Blend from their shop last week and have been drinking it every day since.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Picked up some Blue Bottle Winter Blend from their shop last week and have been drinking it every day since.

I used to love me some Blue Bottle when I was down in the city, and missed it tremendously upon moving away. Took a while to find some good beans and baristas up where I am.
And the shop I still go to has a BB trained owner, and all of their baristas are about as capable as the old crew from Linden Alley ca 2008-10. Those cats were coffee royalty! ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Blue Bottle store near my NYC office. I used to buy their coffee quote often pre-covid. I generally like their roast. It's fairly balanced, but maybe a bit too acidic for my preference.
My fav beans are from Guatemala Xinabajul
They have a great dark chocolate smell after roasting.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In other news, my Fiorenzato F4E Nano grinder is still going stong. Had to do a deep clean on it once. My typical usage of it is one double shot (about 18grams worth of ground beans) per day. Rarely two doubles on weekends.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Blue Bottle store near my NYC office. I used to buy their coffee quote often pre-covid. I generally like their roast. It's fairly balanced, but maybe a bit too acidic for my preference.
My fav beans are from Guatemala Xinabajul
They have a great dark chocolate smell after roasting.
I tend to like Guatemalan in general, at least most of the places which I get it from, it tends to be my style. I like this Winter blend because it is smooth but a little sharp on the finish. They call it "blackberry compote" and that's pretty close to what I'd equate it to.

I am running out of my Verve Buena Vista too, need to go pick some up. The local shop Roy's generally has beans from there roasted within a day or so.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
It's been years since I read this Coffee thread. It came up recently, and I had fun reading it all over again.

The surgery I had in the summer of 2020 plus the pandemic temporarily stopped my coffee roasting. I had plenty of green coffee beans on hand when I had surgery (prostate cancer) in June 2020. I didn't feel like roasting for about 2 months or so afterwards. When I started again, I realized my supply of beans had gotten very old. If I hadn't stopped roasting, I might have just continued using those old semi-stale beans. But I had gotten lazy, and the local roasted stuff, available in Whole Foods, was acceptable. I usually get Swing's High Mountain Blend. (Local to the area, Swing's has pretty good choices.)

That was in the fall of 2020, not a good time to order green coffee, as the season for the year's fresh harvest was over. So, I waited for June/July 2021. Nothing was showing up. The shipping back log was putting a real crimp in deliveries of the new crop. Finally, in October, I was able to order some Guatemalan Finca Rosma (my personal favorite) as well as some Kenyan Kirinyaga Peaberry and Ethiopian Hambela Dabaye (dry process) that looked like it would be good. Because of all the shipping delays, I placed a big order, 10 lbs of the Guat, and 5 lbs each of the Kenyan and Ethiopian. Sure enough, the Guat Finca Rosma and the Ethiopian both sold out fast. There's a lot of pent up demand, even though those green coffee beans were probably in shipping container since last July or August.

So, I'm finally roasting again. It's wonderful :).

Since this thread began, the only thing new for me is discovering how good dry processed Ethiopian coffee can be. Much earlier, I had tried dry processed (as opposed to wet washed) coffee from Indonesia. I hated it and blamed the dry method of processing the newly harvested coffee berries into coffee beans for the dirt-like flavor. That's what Indonesian coffee tastes like to me – like someone put a spoon full of dry soil in my coffee. Dry processed Ethiopian is completely different, and much more to my liking.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Since this thread began, the only thing new for me is discovering how good dry processed Ethiopian coffee can be. Much earlier, I had tried dry processed (as opposed to wet washed) coffee from Indonesia. I hated it and blamed the dry method of processing the newly harvested coffee berries into coffee beans for the dirt-like flavor. That's what Indonesian coffee tastes like to me – like someone put a spoon full of dry soil in my coffee. Dry processed Ethiopian is completely different, and much more to my liking.
Was the Indonesian coffee from Sumatra? That's about all I drink and I don't get a dirt flavor, but sometimes, it's very chocolatey, the way I like my midrange. :)

I make it pretty strong, too- not a giant caffeine buzz, but it's a good wake up drink.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis