That Sour and bitter drink

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer stronger flavor of coffee myself, but it's a developed taste. I think that properly made moka pot(stove top espresso) is a bit better than drip, but ymmv.
Ps: never in my life I ever had even a acceptable cup of coffee from kuerig

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I go to Philz, it shows the roast date so you know how old they are. I tend to like stronger coffee too, but I don't like the burnt taste of most everything at Starbucks. Peets is usually good and Philz is better. Not a fan of Kuerig either. My parents have one and it doesn't really make good coffee IMO.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
MrBoat, I think there is nothing wrong with liking pour over (aka drip) coffee. It doesn't mean that you have limit yourself to only off the shelf Folgers.
I like the self roasted/ground coffee fine. Especially again, the Colombian style. I can also understand why others might go to such lengths.

But I also understand how pre-ground, slightly aged, vacuum sealed is a flavor as well.

Another coffee I don't care for is Dunkin Donuts coffee. It just seems like another one of those things that because some people insist that it is good, that it is so. It's ok. I can drink it but it's not something I would go out of my way for. It will do in a pinch, at best.

I guess more often than not, I am a creature of habit with consistency more than an actual need for an experience. I can enjoy a good coffee in the moment, much like a special dessert, but there is a utility consideration at work there as well. Often times though, even with a more generic approach, I do find myself noticing that a particular product is actually generally enjoyable.

Not knocking others preferences. I get it. As long as it does not fit in a category of outright snobbery, as so many things tend to do these days.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Most people" don't actually like coffee :) Pretty much most people who say they drink coffee but go to Starbucks; those people don't drink coffee, they drink sugar.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I go to Philz, it shows the roast date so you know how old they are. I tend to like stronger coffee too, but I don't like the burnt taste of most everything at Starbucks. Peets is usually good and Philz is better. Not a fan of Kuerig either. My parents have one and it doesn't really make good coffee IMO.
Good to know. I remember a few Philz in the bay area when I lived there but never stopped in (but I also rarely stopped in at Peet's, never been a fan of Starbucks as I'm much more a coffee at home or office person more than one who buys a brewed cup on the go). Might get down to the bay area next month so I'll have to try and stop in at a Philz.

I entered a business partnership in 1989 and one of my partners was the coffee drinker (impressive quantities daily) and was a big Keurig fan, but I found it horrible so I brought in a grinder, got some beans at Costco and used a Chemex drip and a french press to convince him there were alternatives (but cost effective :). The Keurig got ditched pretty quick. When Peet's opened a store close to the office we switched our bean buying to them as we were doing a bit better by then and weren't pinching pennies as much.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"Most people" don't actually like coffee :) Pretty much most people who say they drink coffee but go to Starbucks; those people don't drink coffee, they drink sugar.
and milk :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the self roasted/ground coffee fine. Especially again, the Colombian style. I can also understand why others might go to such lengths.
I like central america's coffee as well. Personally I like coffee beans from Guatemala

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I like black coffee occasionally. Sometimes in the morning I sample mine black before doctoring it up. Takes less sugar that way. Coffee is one of the few things I actually have with sugar in it. No soft drinks etc. Just coffee and water, mostly.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And not so dark that all the caffeine is cooked out of it :)
Yes, You're 100% correct: lighter roasts will leave more caffeine in beans, while darker roasts will have stronger taste (likely to be more bitter) but will actually have less caffeine
I always roast for light/medium

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here in Tampa, down around Ybor City, you can smell the coffee being roasted. Love that smell. A buddy of mine buys 5lbs of the beans at a time. Left me a popcorn popper and a grinder and leaves me with a pound of beans occasionally. Usually the Colombian. I let it go to the second crack. That's usually a pretty good cup of coffee.

The Cuban sandwich shops usually serve Espresso. I do enjoy that.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just sent some complete stranger from Green Coffee Buying club forum $30 in exchange for 5lbs of green coffee beans from Columbia.
Should I get concerned if I get 5lbs of flour looking powder?

edit: edited for obvious typo :)

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Just sent some complete stranger from Green Coffee Buying club forum $30 in exchange for 5lbs of green coffee beans from Columbia.
Should I get concerned if I get 5lbs of floor looking powder?
I would certainly be concerned if I bought floor looking powder, maybe more concerned than if I bought flour looking powder.

Good Columbian coffee is something that Sweet Maria's doesn't seem to offer much. Let me know your experiences with the buying club.

VMAT4

VMAT4

Enthusiast
The situation is bad mates. I thought the Nespresso was the best I ever had. Anyone know of excellent coffee in Harrisburg, PA?

Also, are you folks using coffee and espresso interchangeably?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The situation is bad mates. I thought the Nespresso was the best I ever had. Anyone know of excellent coffee in Harrisburg, PA?

Haven't been to Harrisburg but a quick google seems Little Amps Coffee Roasters seems to get good ratings and looks worth a try.

I use an Aeropress, sort of a french press combined with air pressure, a pseudo or quasi espresso if you will.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Then I say coffee I usually mean espresso or some variant of it. I guess what you mean by coffee, I think of specifically drip coffee.
Like I said before on this thread, I started with drip myself. Moka pot was a halfway step. I think properly done moka pot is much better than any drip coffee I ever had. Never had Aeropress, I assume somewhat similar results to moka. French press I'm not fan of - it's only a bit stronger than drip.

I use about 18-20gm of roasted coffee for one cup of coffee in the morning. $6/lbs green is about $7.2 roasted (about 15% weight loss due) so 1lbs of coffee beans is about 20 cups of espresso or about $0.36/cup in cost of coffee. Add few more cents for electricity needed to roast and brew the cup.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Three heaping teaspoons (silverware teaspoons from the utensil drawer) of Folgers 100% Colombian, per 4 cup level of water on a drip pot. Nobody will complain and they will ask for it again. Even people that don't drink coffee will remark that it smells good. It sounds too simple, but it is a consistently good cup of coffee.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Of course it smells good. I remember the smell of Folgers as a kid because it was always around. Sort of what Nespresso/Keurig/etc... are today to me. Good enough to drink, not wow. I don't need wow every cup of coffee, but when I want good coffee, those won't suffice.

Weekly trip to Philz this week and I got to try something different - Philtered Soul. I asked the girl "If I like Jacob's Wonderbar, will I like Philtered Soul?". She responded by saying I will make you a 50/50 blend that she calls "Jacob's Soul". Holy moly, that was excellent. Half dark roast, half medium, with so many different notes and layers. This will be my new drink there I think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis