That Sour and bitter drink

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That Peruvian was really nice. Mellow chocolate flavor followed by a nice tart, fruity finish. They called it lime, but I'd call it more like mandarin. I liked it so much I drank this all weekend instead of my normal Verve Buena Vista, and it is the same price delivered to my door ($15/12oz).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@j_garcia as to your new grinder, what grind do you use and does it taste better when you have to work at it less? :) Curious how that new grinder does on the finer grinds....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It shipped yesterday, should get it tomorrow.

*Looks like it is out for delivery today :)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got the grinder in last night and ran some older beans through it on various settings to see what it would do. I like the adjustment levels and feel like it does a good job. It means a lot more things to clean than my hand crank, something I hadn't thought about, but it is a lot faster and easier. I like the fact that it doesn't take up a lot of counter space too. The coarse setting was pretty large but the finest setting wasn't as fine as I thought it would be, though since I do pour over I am somewhere med-coarse range anyway.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got the grinder in last night and ran some older beans through it on various settings to see what it would do. I like the adjustment levels and feel like it does a good job. It means a lot more things to clean than my hand crank, something I hadn't thought about, but it is a lot faster and easier. I like the fact that it doesn't take up a lot of counter space too. The coarse setting was pretty large but the finest setting wasn't as fine as I thought it would be, though since I do pour over I am somewhere med-coarse range anyway.
Ever try something like these? https://www.amazon.com/Urnex-Professional-Grinder-Cleaning-Tablets/dp/B0014J7FUY

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read somewhere like sweet Maria's that you can just run a batch of rice through. It picks up the oil and husks pretty well on my hand crank.
Hadn't seen that tip. I got some of these and run them through periodically (you reminded me its probably time); no dramatic results so maybe it's a good use for the rice I never use :)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Keep in mind that milk as well as all the variants up to say cream contain fat. Fat completely alters the transport of flavors to the taste buds of the tongue. It's not all equally but the chemistry within the mouth is altered. That leads to an entirely different sensory experience for individuals. Not better or worse in the absolute sense, just different. Heavily marbled rib eye or lean?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I went from a cheap drip maker, to a Keurig, to a Hario V60 pourover and couldn't be happier. I also went from a cheap blade grinder, to a Capresso Infinity burr grinder, to my current Bartza Preciso burr grinder and love it. I recently purchased a Gaggia classic espresso machine, and it's been wonderful so far. I'd really like to get the new Rocket Appartamento one day, and a higher end grinder to go along with it. But for now the Preciso works well for grinding for pourover, espresso, and whatever my wife uses for the Keurig. I'm lucky enough to have several local roasters to choose from, so getting high quality, fresh coffee isn't too difficult, and it does make a world of difference. Maybe one day I'll get into home roasting, but for now I'm happy with my current setup.
Well I finally got the upgrade I wanted, Rocket Appartamento and a Baratza Sette 270 grinder. I've had them both for just over a month now. Still trying different coffees and working on getting everything dialed in. So far I'm pretty pleased, but I still have a long way to go, I guess I'll just have to keep practicing and drinking lots of coffee. Tried to upload a pic of my setup, but the file is too big.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I finally got the upgrade I wanted, Rocket Appartamento and a Baratza Sette 270 grinder. I've had them both for just over a month now. Still trying different coffees and working on getting everything dialed in. So far I'm pretty pleased, but I still have a long way to go, I guess I'll just have to keep practicing and drinking lots of coffee. Tried to upload a pic of my setup, but the file is too big.
Congrats!!! Welcome to world of real espresso! HX machines are very solid choice from everything I've learned.
I've think I've already shared in what did you buy thread, but just in case few months ago I've upgrade my grinder from Rocky rancilio doserless to Fiorenzato F4E Nano V2 grinder -

This maybe useful for you:
https://www.home-barista.com/hx-love.html

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice, I'm sure that's quite an upgrade from the already solid Rocky. I'd love to have something like that, but space is super tight on the area where I keep my coffee gear, since my wife won't let me do away with the old Keurig :rolleyes:. What machine are you paring that nice grinder with?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice, I'm sure that's quite an upgrade from the already solid Rocky. I'd love to have something like that, but space is super tight on the area where I keep my coffee gear, since my wife won't let me do away with the old Keurig :rolleyes:. What machine are you paring that nice grinder with?
A bit older Photo still shows Rocky, but Quick Mill Vetrano 2b Evo is the same one. The mat under Rocky is no longer needed/used.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
btw: Until you post your own photo here's a stock image of your awesome Rocket:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That Peruvian was really nice. Mellow chocolate flavor followed by a nice tart, fruity finish. They called it lime, but I'd call it more like mandarin. I liked it so much I drank this all weekend instead of my normal Verve Buena Vista, and it is the same price delivered to my door ($15/12oz).
my last weekend roast (got it to full city) - smells wonderful during roasting. haven't brewed it just yet

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice machine, maybe one day I'll get to upgrade to a dual boiler machine. I got too good of a deal to pass up on for the Rocket, also got a good price on the Sette 270, so for now I'm very happy. What is the purpose of the mat under the grinder, is it for easy cleanup, or does it have to do with static? I find that I'm getting a good bit of static when grinding, regardless of roast level, which makes it very difficult to grind directly into the portafilter.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Here we are, just had to crop out the grinder and post it in it's own picture. I've since added the stainless cup rail and an e61 grouphead thermometer.
appartamento (2).jpg
appartamento (3).jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Very nice machine, maybe one day I'll get to upgrade to a dual boiler machine. I got too good of a deal to pass up on for the Rocket, also got a good price on the Sette 270, so for now I'm very happy. What is the purpose of the mat under the grinder, is it for easy cleanup, or does it have to do with static? I find that I'm getting a good bit of static when grinding, regardless of roast level, which makes it very difficult to grind directly into the portafilter.
My first grinder was Baratza virtuoso - it's isn't terrible grinder, but had two issues: first edition (one I had) didn't really go fine enough for espresso even on lowest settings. I re-calibrated it, but I guess either some of plastic gears gave up or I rebuilt it back incorrectly. In either case Rocky was my 1st upgrade.
I got pretty good deal on fiorenzato grinder (got it open box - like new and used the store points I got from Quick Mill purchase) - I finally can say that I'm 99% happy with my grinder :) - I probably should have purchased it from get-go and save money wasted on Virtuozo and Rocky (thou Rocky is still perfectly usable - either as backup or would be sold)
The pad was used to mostly reduce the grinding noise, which is not as bad with new one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bump. Can someone recommend a decent electric or manual coffee grinder under $20?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis