TEKTON,S double impact anybody?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
My advice to you would be to actually listen to a set of Tekton Double Impacts before you critique them.
He’s just making observations on what is there.

There are little critiques there, simply factual information.

It’s a forum after all. If the OP wanted an just owner who loves them to death to gush all over them, he would have just asked Eric himself.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
He’s just making observations on what is there.

There are little critiques there, simply factual information.

It’s a forum after all. If the OP wanted an just owner who loves them to death to gush all over them, he would have just asked Eric himself.
Don't you really believe that a person should actually listen to a set of speakers before he posts an opinion on them?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You bypass bass management? I've found LFE+MAIN tends to muddy up my bass response. I suspect interference with all those drivers playing the same frequencies. Ever tried just LFE? Do you run a setup routine?
I've been into hi-fi audio since the 1960's and usually try quite a few things before I settle down into the setup that I want. My current arrangement gives good clean highs and heavy, clean, satisfying bass. I doubt that I will be doing any changes to the system as it now stands. I answered the OP's question as best I could. Nothing further to say about the matter.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For the record, I said some good things, as well as shared some of the fruit of my extensive research which was less flattering. I did not critique the speakers as I have not heard them, rather I passed along information both positive and negative.

I encouraged OP to pursue them while learning more about them and to make his own educated decision.

These are not bad things.

We will obviously disagree on this. Too bad.

I do still hope to hear them sometime soon, though it likely won't be this year as I don't expect the Audio Shows to continue as scheduled. (I had been considering the RMAF this year, as I know Eric has attended in the past.)

Best,
R

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been into hi-fi audio since the 1960's and usually try quite a few things before I settle down into the setup that I want. My current arrangement gives good clean highs and heavy, clean, satisfying bass. I doubt that I will be doing any changes to the system as it now stands. I answered the OP's question as best I could. Nothing further to say about the matter.
Yeah.

I'm getting the impression that you're taking something personal here and reacting disproportionately defensive. I'm not understanding why you're being so surly and dismissive, as if I or someone else said something offensive to you...

I've seen how thoroughly Ryan researches things (very) and I thought he was fair in his assessment and it's relevant to the topic. It's not like he's just making shit up. I don't see anything wrong with sharing what he learned from his research, since he was actually considering purchasing from Tekton. I would want to know as much as possible before making a big purchase like that, wouldn't you?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Don't you really believe that a person should actually listen to a set of speakers before he posts an opinion on them?
That’s a straw man.

He didn’t post opinions, just facts gathered from reputable sources.

I’ll stop fighting your battle for you @ryanosaur :)

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You bypass bass management? I've found LFE+MAIN tends to muddy up my bass response. I suspect interference with all those drivers playing the same frequencies. Ever tried just LFE? Do you run a setup routine?
I saw that I hadn’t answered your question to your satisfaction. Yes, I have tried just LFE, and found that I liked LFE+Main far better. I paid for full frequency speakers and plan to use them as such. Yes, I do run Auddsey setup and store several different setups on a flashdrive.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This latter point is important: 2 10" woofers are certainly capable of delivering great bass. They will require a good deal of energy, too! In fact I would rather see a plate amp on the DIs to offload that low end from whatever Amp may be powering them.
I have trouble agreeing with you on that. In my system, in a room of 12.5' X 18' opening to a kitchen entrance and using three 15 inch Dayton subs, which have a sensitivity of only 87 dB, I've never had any of the QSC amp deliver over 30 watts to any of them. I play a lot of classical music including pipe organ music with some source frequencies going below 20 Hz.
I figure that someone must be playing music and movie soundtrack content at very high SPL and is sitting far from the speakers to require really beefy amps.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw that I hadn’t answered your question to your satisfaction. Yes, I have tried just LFE, and found that I liked LFE+Main far better. I paid for full frequency speakers and plan to use them as such. Yes, I do run Auddsey setup and store several different setups on a flashdrive.
Well, you never answer anything to any satisfaction from what I've seen. I no longer care about what you do. I'm more curious what you think about his post.
I'm getting the impression that you're taking something personal here and reacting disproportionately defensive. I'm not understanding why you're being so surly and dismissive, as if I or someone else said something offensive to you...

I've seen how thoroughly Ryan researches things (very) and I thought he was fair in his assessment and it's relevant to the topic. It's not like he's just making shit up. I don't see anything wrong with sharing what he learned from his research, since he was actually considering purchasing from Tekton. I would want to know as much as possible before making a big purchase like that, wouldn't you?
Or are you just going to cherry pick certain posts and send one sided private messages then close the thread so you don't have to read any replies? That's a great way to stay in your own bubble and avoid learning things. It's also why I no longer care what you do. I think it's pretty rude to just bust into threads and tell everyone to dismiss someone's opinion because you don't like it. I'd rather hear from someone who has done the research across multiple brands than someone who lives in a bubble and rejects others' opinions so dismissively.

Don't bother sending anymore pm's either, I won't be reading them. I will just delete it without even opening it up.

Me personally, I would never even consider Tekton for a lot of the same reasons Ryan listed and I would recommend going elsewhere. There are plenty of other brands out there that I would trust more to deliver a well balanced and accurate speaker.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Well, you never answer anything to any satisfaction from what I've seen. I no longer care about what you do. I'm more curious what you think about his post.

Or are you just going to cherry pick certain posts and send one sided private messages then close the thread so you don't have to read any replies? That's a great way to stay in your own bubble and avoid learning things. It's also why I no longer care what you do. I think it's pretty rude to just bust into threads and tell everyone to dismiss someone's opinion because you don't like it. I'd rather hear from someone who has done the research across multiple brands than someone who lives in a bubble and rejects others' opinions so dismissively.

Don't bother sending anymore pm's either, I won't be reading them. I will just delete it without even opening it up.

Me personally, I would never even consider Tekton for a lot of the same reasons Ryan listed and I would recommend going elsewhere. There are plenty of other brands out there that I would trust more to deliver a well balanced and accurate speaker.
Such hostility.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
can I play devil,s advocate for a minute, what if you have only one subwoofer and have main speakers capable of decent response down to upper 20,s hz and you use lfe+ main for bass mngmt to get more bass sources to even out response?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
can I play devil,s advocate for a minute, what if you have only one subwoofer and have main speakers capable of decent response down to upper 20,s hz and you use lfe+ main for bass mngmt to get more bass sources to even out response?
I run the two subs at very low levels to smooth bass response throughout the room. I listen to a lot of classical music which doesn't have an LFE track and therefore the subs aren't used at all.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can do this, but you will want to take measures to make sure that the bass response doesn't get too much boost, so you need a way of lowering the bass range of the full-range speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Such hostility.
What did I say that's hostile..? Or do you just think it was hostile because of the bubble world you live in and haven't been exposed to true hostility?

I do find it curious that you'd take the time to quote my post and not address a single thing in it...

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You can do this, but you will want to take measures to make sure that the bass response doesn't get too much boost, so you need a way of lowering the bass range of the full-range speakers.
It really hasn't been a problem. I've listened to hundreds of hours of all types of music and bass is just fine. Works just as well on a Dire Straits album as a classical. I really don't have to adjust bass levels for any type of music (that I listen to).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have trouble agreeing with you on that. In my system, in a room of 12.5' X 18' opening to a kitchen entrance and using three 15 inch Dayton subs, which have a sensitivity of only 87 dB, I've never had any of the QSC amp deliver over 30 watts to any of them. I play a lot of classical music including pipe organ music with some source frequencies going below 20 Hz.
I figure that someone must be playing music and movie soundtrack content at very high SPL and is sitting far from the speakers to require really beefy amps.
I don't disagree with you. :) You know I have been studying and learning about speaker design/building... eagerly getting to the point I can start my first project, too! (I think I'm ordering my Router nest week!)
I will say, the QSCs I'm familiar with (the cinema ones, which if I recall correctly are the ones you use), are quite stout and stable down to 2 ohms. I would not expect them to blink an eye driving those woofers (which, thanks to you, I am looking at very seriously for my first Sub build!) and a whole lot more!
The more I've learned, though, makes me really question the electrical behavior of a 4-way speaker with so many drivers. 2 10", 2" 6", 6 tweeters for midrange array, and 1 for the actual high end.
Without any third-party testing, we have absolutely no information on XO points, cabinet tuning, real electrical behavior... Nothing.
If most 3-way designs do in fact introduce challenging phase and impedance issues (which it certainly seems like they do (not meant to be an absolute, but let's face it, there are a lot of such designs out there) then what is happening here in this specific instance?
On the other side, I look at some of the Gravesen designs that are 4- and 5-way builds where he uses (now) the Hypex Fusion plate amps to run one or two of the lower drivers, allowing the passive network to run the other 2-3 drivers.
We all know there are many ways to skin a cat... some more useful and efficacious than others, to be fair. :) Based on my interactions with Eric at Tekton, I want to believe that the DIs are suitable for any mid-range AVR to drive. I quite enjoyed our conversations over the few months we were talking, and I am still interested in hearing his work. At the same time, I was reminded of Clifford: "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence.”
If he would publish measurements, that would be a start. If he would allow others to test and publish, that would be ideal. Which only leads me back to the question of what really went down with New Record Day and their measurements... why they were pulled down, and why I still know nothing that I didn't know 2 winters ago?
;)

Thanks, Verdi!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's the lack of third party measurements and lack of info in general that makes me leery of them. To me it comes across like they're hiding something, otherwise you would think they wouldn't hesitate to share this info. They might sound pretty good, but it doesn't mean they're accurate and they've done a pretty good job of making sure there's no way to find out.

I'll stick with manufacturers who aren't so cagey with sharing relevant specs and 3rd party measurements.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Without any third-party testing, we have absolutely no information on XO points, cabinet tuning, real electrical behavior... Nothing.
If most 3-way designs do in fact introduce challenging phase and impedance issues (which it certainly seems like they do (not meant to be an absolute, but let's face it, there are a lot of such designs out there) then what is happening here in this specific instance?
On the other side, I look at some of the Gravesen designs that are 4- and 5-way builds where he uses (now) the Hypex Fusion plate amps to run one or two of the lower drivers, allowing the passive network to run the other 2-3 drivers.
As you mentioned that a 3-way design introduces challenging phase issues, with either a 4-way or a 5-way design, you definitely are exposed to many more challenging issues, including more lobing problems. Ryan, I would suggest that you start by building a 3-way system which represents a good challenge for a first loudspeaker design.
You can succeed as I did, using for instance a 12 inch subwoofer used as woofer in the same cabinet as midrange and tweeter drivers. The mid and HF units are
enclosed in a box within the whole cabinet:
DSCF0656.(2)jpg.jpg

If you haven't read Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, I strongly recommend that you get that book. It contains detailed info and is an excellent guide for any DIYer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis