TEKTON,S double impact anybody?

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Has anybody heard them, what are your thoughts please?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
People seem to like them, but they aren’t without their problems. I had plans to go audition them but cancelled after I had my Philharmonic audition. :)
I do not doubt that they sound good, but my understanding is that they are not super accurate. I think the problems are not necessarily audible, but they are there.
If the new record day reviews and videos are still up, it’s worth checking them out, especially the phone interview with Eric.
Clearly the two went at it over the NRD review and comments, but those got pulled down and a bit of a whitewash happened.
Anyway, if you want a big speaker capable of big sound, they do the job. If you are in to critical listening, I would not pursue them.
Regardless, I do hope to get to hear them sometime, still. Moreover, I enjoyed my conversations with Eric. He is a little eccentric and has an innovators spirit; he is also very passionate about what he does.

Sorry no firsthand listening experience to share. :)

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Do you find them bright or harsh at all, or can you listen for hours?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Do you find them bright or harsh at all, or can you listen for hours?
You can listen to them all day without fatigue. They are a very neutral speaker, capable of some magnificent audio. I can't say I've ever had a speaker that I liked better. I've had them for 5 months now and have absolutely no intention of ever selling them.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
thanks for sharing, I,m interested in them
You're more than welcome! I use them for both audio and movies. There's not much I can say that the reviews haven't already said. These speakers handle everything that I can throw at them very well. The Tektons put out plenty of good CLEAN sound.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Are you satisfied with the bass for music, no need for subwoofer?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Are you satisfied with the bass for music, no need for subwoofer?
Actually I run two Dayton 12 inch subwoofers along with the Tektons. I also use a Klipsch RP600C for center. (I would love the Tekton center speaker but don't have the room for it). I also run two Polk height speakers and two Cambridge audio in ceiling speakers for rear channels. They all play very well together.

I might add that when I am playing Mr. Beethoven's symphonies, the subs aren't operational and yet the Tektons put out very satisfying bass. (classical music doesn't use subs).

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though capable down low, I would not trust the DIs to handle full range. Rock and other such Pop, even most orchestral, and these may be fine, but as with most speakers out there, the Power Response down low is extremely demanding. Handing off to a Sub is more and more becoming a requirement. (Consider that Piano frequency begins at 29Hz... Most Bass guitar and upright is right about 40Hz.) :)

Again, I have no agenda against Tekton. I would like to see him clean up his marketing game and allow for some true third party testing, though.

With that last point, and the stuff I gathered from the NRD reviews, I do have to offer a counterpoint to Paul's assertion that they are neutral. (Sorry, Paul.) However, this again comes back to preferences and what you are into.
For me, now, I would not pursue these. But consider the reviews and how much glowing praise he and these speakers have garnered! One guy I talked to owned a pair of Pens, and was going back for a pair of DIs; moving the Pens to surround!
Repeat customers say a lot!

I just put this out there because I do feel that there are a lot of great speakers available. The fact that I couldn't get my own questions answered clearly from Eric, coupled with hearing the capabilities of the Philharmonic line.

End of the day... Do a lot of research, audition speakers of different quality levels, learn to make an informed decision. That way, at least, when you do hear the Tektons, you have a basis for comparison. :D

Happy Hunting!

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Though capable down low, I would not trust the DIs to handle full range. Rock and other such Pop, even most orchestral, and these may be fine, but as with most speakers out there, the Power Response down low is extremely demanding. Handing off to a Sub is more and more becoming a requirement. (Consider that Piano frequency begins at 29Hz... Most Bass guitar and upright is right about 40Hz.) :)

I really don't understand your statement not to trust the Tekton's to handle full range. Mine certainly do, I run the Tektons full range lightly augmented by the subs. The tektons can rattle the timbers in your home by themselves without a sub. I play all types of music with them. I would highly recommend the "Hans Zimmer" live in Prague Blu ray to give your speakers a workout.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing comes to mind that I didn't mention. Although I do use dual subs, I also run the Tektons frequency. (LFE+Main).
You bypass bass management? I've found LFE+MAIN tends to muddy up my bass response. I suspect interference with all those drivers playing the same frequencies. Ever tried just LFE? Do you run a setup routine?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I really don't understand your statement not to trust the Tekton's to handle full range. Mine certainly do, I run the Tektons full range lightly augmented by the subs. The tektons can rattle the timbers in your home by themselves without a sub. I play all types of music with them. I would highly recommend the "Hans Zimmer" live in Prague Blu ray to give your speakers a workout.
Yes. He claims a 20Hz extension without specifying an F3 point for that design. IIRC, he claims an incredibly flat response from around 70 or 80Hz on up... something like ±1dB?
With all due respect... this is why I don't buy it. These specs, without third party testing to back it up, are pretty much too good to be true.
Thus far, I haven't really nitpicked. In fact, I encouraged our friendly OP to pursue them while making certain he educates himself as any good consumer should!
I disagreed with you before because the one testing I heard of clearly sparked a controversy between NRD and Eric. Those measurements were pulled down from NRD's site, and based on the tenor of the details I did see, I get the feeling that legal action was threatened.

So... Where does that leave us? I'm not bashing Eric or his speaker design. I'm not bashing your choice of speaker. I do, however, disagree that his designs are exactly all that he claims, and I would also be concerned about how much current those guys need from the Amp stage of an AVR.
This latter point is important: 2 10" woofers are certainly capable of delivering great bass. They will require a good deal of energy, too! In fact I would rather see a plate amp on the DIs to offload that low end from whatever Amp may be powering them.
Also, the results of the DI Monitor tests from Stereophile did show that the Sensitivity claim was seriously overblown: 87.5dB measured vs 94dB advertised. Though they don't call it out specifically, I see some steep Phase Angles, around 45º, at Low Impedance from 60-90Hz. With a true 4-ohm Amp, it might not be problematic, but it did raise concerns about what was actually happening in his other speakers.

I won't spend 3K on what-ifs!
Mind, I was in conversation to buy 11 channels + Subs from Eric and was days from flying to UT to meet him and audition his gear.

Instead I have towers that are ±2dB from 25-20000Hz. The design is well documented and measured. Not only do I have no regrets, but I know I bought one of the best speakers available, at the time, in terms of cost to performance. They perform admirably without subs, and the Transmission Line design is amazing. Yet, I still cross these towers at 80Hz because of the additional clarity in Mid and High frequency that results in offloading the bottom octave to my Subs. Well, that, and I listen to enough material with true infrasonic content that it doesn't make sense to risk those Scan Speak Woofers to an over-excursion accident. :D

Cheers!

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You bypass bass management? I've found LFE+MAIN tends to muddy up my bass response. I suspect interference with all those drivers playing the same frequencies. Ever tried just LFE? Do you run a setup routine?
Works just fine for me.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Yes. He claims a 20Hz extension without specifying an F3 point for that design. IIRC, he claims an incredibly flat response from around 70 or 80Hz on up... something like ±1dB?
With all due respect... this is why I don't buy it. These specs, without third party testing to back it up, are pretty much too good to be true.
Thus far, I haven't really nitpicked. In fact, I encouraged our friendly OP to pursue them while making certain he educates himself as any good consumer should!
I disagreed with you before because the one testing I heard of clearly sparked a controversy between NRD and Eric. Those measurements were pulled down from NRD's site, and based on the tenor of the details I did see, I get the feeling that legal action was threatened.

So... Where does that leave us? I'm not bashing Eric or his speaker design. I'm not bashing your choice of speaker. I do, however, disagree that his designs are exactly all that he claims, and I would also be concerned about how much current those guys need from the Amp stage of an AVR.
This latter point is important: 2 10" woofers are certainly capable of delivering great bass. They will require a good deal of energy, too! In fact I would rather see a plate amp on the DIs to offload that low end from whatever Amp may be powering them.
Also, the results of the DI Monitor tests from Stereophile did show that the Sensitivity claim was seriously overblown: 87.5dB measured vs 94dB advertised. Though they don't call it out specifically, I see some steep Phase Angles, around 45º, at Low Impedance from 60-90Hz. With a true 4-ohm Amp, it might not be problematic, but it did raise concerns about what was actually happening in his other speakers.

I won't spend 3K on what-ifs!
Mind, I was in conversation to buy 11 channels + Subs from Eric and was days from flying to UT to meet him and audition his gear.

Instead I have towers that are ±2dB from 25-20000Hz. The design is well documented and measured. Not only do I have no regrets, but I know I bought one of the best speakers available, at the time, in terms of cost to performance. They perform admirably without subs, and the Transmission Line design is amazing. Yet, I still cross these towers at 80Hz because of the additional clarity in Mid and High frequency that results in offloading the bottom octave to my Subs. Well, that, and I listen to enough material with true infrasonic content that it doesn't make sense to risk those Scan Speak Woofers to an over-excursion accident. :D

Cheers!
My advice to you would be to actually listen to a set of Tekton Double Impacts before you critique them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis