TEKTON,S double impact anybody?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I don't disagree with you. :) You know I have been studying and learning about speaker design/building... eagerly getting to the point I can start my first project, too! (I think I'm ordering my Router nest week!)
I will say, the QSCs I'm familiar with (the cinema ones, which if I recall correctly are the ones you use), are quite stout and stable down to 2 ohms. I would not expect them to blink an eye driving those woofers (which, thanks to you, I am looking at very seriously for my first Sub build!) and a whole lot more!
The more I've learned, though, makes me really question the electrical behavior of a 4-way speaker with so many drivers. 2 10", 2" 6", 6 tweeters for midrange array, and 1 for the actual high end.
Without any third-party testing, we have absolutely no information on XO points, cabinet tuning, real electrical behavior... Nothing.
If most 3-way designs do in fact introduce challenging phase and impedance issues (which it certainly seems like they do (not meant to be an absolute, but let's face it, there are a lot of such designs out there) then what is happening here in this specific instance?
On the other side, I look at some of the Gravesen designs that are 4- and 5-way builds where he uses (now) the Hypex Fusion plate amps to run one or two of the lower drivers, allowing the passive network to run the other 2-3 drivers.
We all know there are many ways to skin a cat... some more useful and efficacious than others, to be fair. :) Based on my interactions with Eric at Tekton, I want to believe that the DIs are suitable for any mid-range AVR to drive. I quite enjoyed our conversations over the few months we were talking, and I am still interested in hearing his work. At the same time, I was reminded of Clifford: "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence.”
If he would publish measurements, that would be a start. If he would allow others to test and publish, that would be ideal. Which only leads me back to the question of what really went down with New Record Day and their measurements... why they were pulled down, and why I still know nothing that I didn't know 2 winters ago?
;)

Thanks, Verdi!
When you build your own custom designed speakers I will happily take the BMR,s off of your hands.;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
When you build your own custom designed speakers I will happily take the BMR,s off of your hands.;)
Hmmm... I'll take that under consideration. :) Please don't hold your breath. :p

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It might be possible if his own designed speakers sound better to his ears than the BMRs. You already know that the BMRS are hard to beat. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As you mentioned that a 3-way design introduces challenging phase issues, with either a 4-way or a 5-way design, you definitely are exposed to many more challenging issues, including more lobing problems. Ryan, I would suggest that you start by building a 3-way system which represents a good challenge for a first loudspeaker design.
You can succeed as I did, using for instance a 12 inch subwoofer used as woofer in the same cabinet as midrange and tweeter drivers. The mid and HF units are
enclosed in a box within the whole cabinet:
{image}
If you haven't read Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, I strongly recommend that you get that book. It contains detailed info and is an excellent guide for any DIYer.
I've seen the photos of your other speakers, but I don't think I've seen that one before. Did I just miss it? (Always a possibility!)

I've read deeply, and frequently of Alden and Dickason. Both are very good books. I needed to read the Murphy and Weems books to help me out first, but the last readings of the other two were much more fruitful!

I'm also working my way through the SoundEasy learning curve. :eek: :rolleyes: (But seriously... :eek: )

I haven't forgotten that you previously expressed interest to see what I come up with. I've been sidetracked by life, of course! My measurement mic went to Cross Spectrum right before they shut down due to CoronaVirus. So I don't have that. Yet. (Soon, I hope) *fingers crossed

But! I will have the last tools arriving soon. I will pick back up with the 2-channel Stand Mount upgrade and rebuild I've been sitting on. Then the Subwoofer, which will also serve as a base(bass) for the Towers I want to build in the long run. After the Sub is a 2-way MTM (hoping to do both ported and TQWT builds (and this will end up being the top of the future tower)). Which leaves a (Mid-)Bass cabinet that will make for a 3-way tower when combined... And then....

Do I have aspirations to build my own 4-way Full range tower? *blushes

brad1138

brad1138

Audioholic
Don't you really believe that a person should actually listen to a set of speakers before he posts an opinion on them?
I wouldn't put too much stock in people who put numbers over actual listening....

I have the Tekton Lore-S and a pair of MOABs on the way. The Lore-S are fantastic, very revealing and detailed with incredible imaging. I had been wanting a pair of DIs for a few years now, but decided to go with the MOABs after they came out. By (most) all accounts, incredible speakers. This is my room with the Lore-S', the MOABs will be going in a different room.

L

Ljutic

Enthusiast
I have a pair of pendragons. They are fantastic speakers. Eventually I will move up to the moabs. I bought the matching center and my home theater never sounded better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis