Teac Reference Series

H

Harmonica

Enthusiast
I just bought a RIIA to be able to use my old turntable in that Teac system as well.

H

Harmonica

Enthusiast
That's just a window (there is venetian blind inside...between glasses). Sorry about bad photo.

I mainly watch TV or listening music via that system (mainly uses 2 channels + subwoofer). As that living room is not very big...those small Teacs suits perfectly there. And I also like those champagne colour versions more than black versions. My loudspeakers are quite small too...but the boxes are made from stone (see photo...yep...they are heavy). I have there 5.1 system (incl. 3 smaller similar loudspeakers)...just in case...if I sometimes want to watch DVD's etc via TV.

stone loudspeakers by Harmonica's pictures, on Flickr

But I'm building up a home theater system (6.1) in a bigger room...with hard wood panel based screen, projector and using all my other stuff...my normal size Onkyo amplifier, Samsung BlueRay player & my bigger size loudspeakers (photo below) + my Peerless XLS 10'' + 10'' passive element active subwoofer, dipole bases surround speakers etc.....I just need to buy a projector first (the only thing I'm missing at the moment).

10 by Harmonica's pictures, on Flickr

Last edited:
M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Hello Forummers,

I'm Marcel en comming from Holland. I'm infected with the TEAC-virus en I'm now the proud owner of a A-H500, a A-H500i twice the T-H500, a PD-H570 and a R-H500.

The R-H500 is'nt working, I can switch it on but when i push the start button I only hear a kind of clicking down under. Someone familiar with this?

Is there someone who can tell me wat the difference is between the 500 and the 500i?

Greetings,

Marcel

T

tomte

Enthusiast
Fixed it for ya!;)

Welcome to the forum!

You know, that just wouldn't look near so good if it was all black.

Is that a window in the background, or do you have some kind of super-cool built-in flat screen with wood trim?
Wow, what a system... I do have a Reference 500 system and love it.... Seing yours makes me want to add some more components to it... I've always been looking for the minidisc recorder...but never was lucky enough to get it at a reasonable price...

T

tomte

Enthusiast
Hi Adam,

I just stumpled upon your entries of your modded Teac A-H 300 ...That is great!

I own a A-H 500i and love TEAC Reference stuff and always wanted to use a subwoofer but never did because of the missing pre-out. I just bought a Sub which doesn't offer High Level Input, so I couldn't even use the loudspeaker-outs...

How exactly did you manage to build the pre out on your A-H 300? I'm really curious about it, cause I would love to do the same on my A-H 500i...

Thanks for your photos and information, I'm happy I found this thread here
Tim

M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Hello TEAC-lovers,

Excuse me for my bad English but i'll do my best.

I had a re-cap last weekend for my A-H500i. The sound was al little dul, this amplifier hadn't worked for over 2 years and didn't sound as good as my first TEAC A-H500.
So i decided to have a re-cap for this 500i.

The mechanic took some pictures of his work.

This is the 4.7uF but the Fluke measured 51uF and changed it for a real 4.7uF

Took care of al the contacts by cleaning and re-soldering

New Power Caps 4 times 4700uF 63V instead of 50V.
Old:

New:

The sound of the 500i now is starting to get perfect. It needs al little time to get the right sound but i think after a week or 2 it wil sound like never before.

Greetings,

Marcel from Holland.

T

tomte

Enthusiast
Hi Marcel,
wow... I had never thought of that...Hm...how do I find out if my 500i would sound better with this fixes, too? And who does this job?
Was the dullness very strong? Did you realize it directly?

Cheers, Tim

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, a lot of recent activity on the thread. I'm glad to see people are still allured by the Teac Reference series.

I found the A-H500 more effective in powering my Thiels than the Sony STR-DG1000 I'm presently using in my home theater. The STR-DG1000 is not considered to be a meek receiver, especially for a non-ES badged receiver. The Sony does clearly have an ES E-Core transformer inside of it and tips the scales at slightly over 30 pounds.

Despite the quality in construction and overall effort of Sony on the STR-DG1000 the little Teac operates more naturally with the Thiels. I can only assume this is in part to the well executed Inverted Triple Darlington output stage and robust power supply. The Thiels can throw a wide phase angle at your amplifier and if it's not up to the task it will strain to produce pleasant sound. I've noticed the soundstage likes to fall part when the Thiels are used with the Sony and while the Sony will ultimately allow higher output for playback the Teac combined with the Thiels will fill the room with more than enough sound.

M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Hi Marcel,
wow... I had never thought of that...Hm...how do I find out if my 500i would sound better with this fixes, too? And who does this job?
Was the dullness very strong? Did you realize it directly?

Cheers, Tim
Hello Tim,

I bought this 500i with a shortcomming, the seller didn't use it for over 2 years. He had a set for sale with the tuner T-H500 and a CD-player PH-H570i. That was my goal to buy the CD-player. I get the amplifier and tuner for free with the PD-H570i.

When I came home, the only thing that was broken in the amplifier was the fuse. I put in a new one and it was playing well. But a little les musical as my A-H500 (without i). The cause was that it hadn't work for more than 2 years.

I'm playing now for 3 days with my recap 500i and it's sounding better every day. The more i play, the more it sounds better.

Also a reason to do this is that after about 10 - 15 years the value of the caps is decreased.

A technician can measure the value before he starts to recap and can tell you if it's necessary.

Good luck,

Greetings,

Marcel

Last edited:
M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Yesterday I changed the CD laser unit of my PD-500i. It had an error in reading the CD's so I bought by Donberg.ie a complete unit.

Now it's playing like a new one.

Left the new one.

The old unit

I'm not a technician but it's a good DIY job to do.

Greetings,

Marcel

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis