Teac Reference Series

N

Neo_Soul

Enthusiast
I know how you feel, Seth has created a monster with this thread because I also can't get enough either, looking for my pd-h300 cd player at a reasonable price. Wish I lived in the UK sometimes.

M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Hello guys,

There are a few changes in my set. New speakers, spikes, cable.

The "new" speakers EPOS M15

ViaBlue spikes

QED SILVER Anniversery XT with Nakamichi Banana's

Ad offcourse my terrific TEAC equipment.

Greetings,

Marcel

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Not at all surprised you'd choose Epos to run with the Teac Reference equipment.

I'm running Thiels on my A-H500 and the results are noteworthy.

T

tomte

Enthusiast
Happy New TEAC Year.

Greetings,:)

Marcel
The Netherlands
Happy New Year for you, too!

I just wanted to give a speaker recommendation if anyone of the TEAC readers is looking for floorstanding speakers. Since December I am listening to a new pair of Audio Physic Yara II Classic and I am loving music with it so much. Crisp and clear, wide sound stage and punchy though not oversaturated bass...I know its all subjective and up to your room setting, but these speakers seem to be quite uncritical. If you can get them used for a reasonable price, go for it. They really go well with the TEAC A-H500!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Everything goes well with an A-H500. Well maybe not a 16 ohm speaker with 80db @ 1w/1m. :D

D

dingoman

Audiophyte
Hallo to everyone!
My first post. Sorry for my english... I live in Poland...
Since ysterday Im happy owner of the A-H500, PD-H500 and T-H500 combo!
This forum was my main source of information about TEAC Referece line. (Strange, how small info in the web...) Thank you all for that.
My speakers are old Epos E11.

Sound is really good and now I'm thinking about DIY cables. Loving the pure silver ideas:
Make Your Own Silver Audio Cables

No, I dont think it makes a big difference, just love the idea and I was jeweller many years ago and I know how to produce silver wire on my own. ;)

Three problems so far:
1) No remote controller (thinking about Logitech Harmony 300 -universal remote)
2) Main tuner knob working a bit strange:not smoothly
3) Some noise in the far end of the balance knob in the amplifier.

T

tomte

Enthusiast
true, everything will go well with the Teac AH500...

those viablue spikes look great...
i've got those nakamichi bananas as well and like their looks :)

I'm really thinking of doing that black paintjob thing to the housing of my Teacs...Or maybetry som other colors... glossy red...creamy green, lemon yellow....
hmmmm:rolleyes:

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
Great thread. Fortunately I am from the UK, so coming across these parts we're very easy. Picked up a 500 system. I had a Musical Fidelity amp, sounded great. Decided I wanted surround sound, so sold it and bought a Sony DEH-800. Pretty much stopped listening to music after that, the stereo was that bad. Year later I decided I want another decent mini, and after scanning this thread a few times I seem to have acquired a Teac affliction.

Didn't even know one existed untill I got it home and started reading this thread again, but luckily mine is the 500i. Someone asked what the differences were and I found this on another forum if anyone else is interested.

"I have (and serviced) both of these amps. There are a lot of small differences. None of those impact the listening experience (much). Below items where the 'i' spec differs from the 'normal' 500's.

- gold plated connectors
- higher quality capacitors on the output side
- on/off switch on the side
- some cables soldered
- extra spacer ring behind knobs
- different brand volume-pot motor (not sure if this an 'i' change however)

Best small integrated amp under €1000,- I've heard. Requires proper (KEF, Wharfedale, B&W) speakers however"

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
As sacramental as it probably is, I want to dismantle the 500 CD deck and build an HTPC inside. Struggling to find a matching VFD for the front, otherwise it should be quite straight forward. A micro ATX board will just fit, a mini ITX will fit in the 300 systems, a decent cooler and graphics card will fit in a 300 casette deck and 500 CD. Low profile GPU in the rest.

The tuner has the largest screen and I found a 40x4 character which will fit, just, but it doesn't match the rest of the setup. I guess in mine I won't be using the tuner or casette, but it would be really nice to try and keep it as OE as possible.

Picked up a 300 system very cheap so may get round to knocking a couple up, will stick some pictures up if/when.

The capacitor swap is interesting. Is there any other mods for the 500 amp?

I'm looking at the 550 av amp running the 500 on the preouts for the front, but it doesn't do any of the modern formats, and the real killer is I can't see a multi channel input? That'd be great if it could be fed decoded analogue. So I'm thinking of getting a legacy 3 channel power amp and a good sound card, should hopefully retain the balance of stereo/films. Just means everything digital sound wise would have to go through the computer (TV mainly)

Anyone using similar? Or got any thoughts on how to achieve the above with a 550 av? Suppose I could gut the legacy into the 500 tuner.

Last edited:
C

chug

Audioholic Intern

Seems links need moderating? There is a cheap 500i and cd ending on uk ebay in 30 mins.

M

MarcelHLX

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

After a vew months listining to my EPOS M15 it's now time for an upgrade. The M15 is a very good speaker but a had the opportunity for buying a couple of EPOS M22i speakers.
I'm going to pick them up next saturday. They are just 13 months old and I expect a little more than the M15 speakers.

The M15 is doing a very goor job on the TEAC A-H500i and I asume the M22i wil do the same. The M15 is not leaving the building, the are going to the bedroom were I have a HiFi set of Marantz Pre-Amp 1060, Power-Amp 140 and tuner 104, so real vintage but still very good quality.

Greetings,

Marcel

C

chug

Audioholic Intern
TEAC A-H500I SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

Thought that might be usefull for someone?

Bought a AV-H500D, compared directly, the 500i sounds a fair bit better in stereo. The d sounded good, but the I is noticeably cleaner. Remote operate both units so 7.1 analogue from a good sound card is achievable using the 500i for the front stage.

The PC CD player is coming along, will sort some details on it when its done

D

dervish

Audiophyte
Hi there, I've recently acquired an A-H500i integrated and PDH500 CD player and came across this thread whilst looking for purchase opportunities. I've been a fan of the 500 Reference series for some time and wasn't disappointed when I finally took the plunge. I just love the amp's retro look and solid build not to mention its internal layout and spec. The look and operation of that central volume pot is a thing of rare beauty and not to mention the overall performance. I don't want my hi fi to dominate the room , which is small to medium size family room but I still want it to sound good, detailed and accurate. As I stop-gap I was using a Denon RCD38 DAB with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers. The sound was acceptable but I always felt like the Dyns were being held back not given a good run out. When I got the A-H500i on them it was like a veil had been lifted and now there's a real sparkle, punch, mid-range definition and low-end slam that just wasn't there before. Very happy.

By the way, does someone know what year the A-H500i and PDH500 CD player were introduced into the market and what their retail price was in the UK at the time? Just interested in the history. Thanks for starting this great thread. Cheers

K

kixo

Audiophyte
Has anyone seen the new TEAC 501 Reference Series in person, or better yet, had a chance to audition?

Four separate units:

- Integrated Amplifier at 90w of Class D amplification
- DSD/PCM/CD player
- DAC with USB streaming
- Headphone amp

Product: AI-501DA | TEAC

I love the retro meters. I have pre-ordered the integrated and CD player, due out in April. Although I do wish the amp came with a subwoofer pre-out (pretty much mandatory for a desktop system) and XLR balanced inputs. Strangely, only the Headphone amp has XLRs. This would have put these TEACs into a premium class of mini systems.

K

kcg

Audiophyte
Hi there,

I came across this thread as I was looking for information and trying to decide if I needed / wanted to upgrade from my Reference series 300 system.
... Well after 10 years of enjoyment with the Teac gear, I finally decided to switch to a more powerful amp and speakers.

Since I really liked the 300, I'd rather they go to someone who likes them. So if any of you happens to be interested and maybe even lives around Switzerland, just let me know. I'll be selling the following items:

A-H300 amp (2 x 35w, champagne)
T-H300 AM/FM Tuner (champagne)
PD-H303 3 CD changer (champagne, toslink out, CD/RW compatible)

There is also a pair of speakers which I used with the Teac: Cabasse Antigua MT222.

Best regards to you all.

H

Huchiz

Audiophyte
<embed id="xunlei_com_thunder_helper_plugin_d462f475-c18e-46be-bd10-327458d045bd" type="application/thunder_download_plugin" height="0" width="0">Hi,MarcelHLX, I have a A-H500 as well for some years and it works just very fine with KEF XQ one.
I just opened it up and re-adjusted the bias according to the service manual, all good.

Now I'm considering recap, too. Currently all the caps looks like in very good shape physically, how was it in your case?
Are you able to tell me more about your recap, like which ones do you replaced? I guess apart from the 4 big ones, I should mainly focus on the Pre-board?

Thanks in advance,
Huchiz from New Zealand. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis