Teac Reference Series

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I currently have the ag-h550, pd-h750 paired with the my recently acquired klipsch quartets. I am liking the combo so far, plan on upgrading the diaphragms and crossover to robert crites in the near future. Just a little fyi if anyone is interested.
I've been waiting to hear some feedback on the PD-H750. As I understand it came out after they discontinued the PD-H600 (which was very well received and built like a tank). It doesn't appear to be the same quality as the PD-H600 but looks decent. How is the transport noise? Can you hear it spin up and when it is playing can you still hear it spinning and the laser tracking? Any feedback to the speakers when you change tracks (sometimes this CD players don't have the best isolation components inside and you'll hear noise from your speakers that's not music when changing tracks because the laser moves etc.)

N

Neo_Soul

Enthusiast
Sorry Seth, wrong model number posted, I have the older pd-h570 from the reference series of the 90's.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry Seth, wrong model number posted, I have the older pd-h570 from the reference series of the 90's.
:p Easy mistake to make. I had the 570, I enjoyed it. It's kind of amazing that it holds 7 discs and it's that small. I've never seen its equal.

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
I got my system from a Craigslist posting in upstate New York.

D

dom_b

Audiophyte
I just managed to get a hold of a Teac T-H300DAB radio to go with my brand new, second hand AG-H350 and JPW gold monitors. Total spend so far is a whopping £34 :).

Anyway, the T-H300DAB has about the slowest scrolling dab tuner I have ever seen. I mean you scroll and it literally takes 3 seconds to show you the next station. Until then it's just blank. Is there a fix for this? Is it normal? It's not the scroll wheel. I've had that apart and cleaned it all up and it works perfectly. Seems to be that the tuner goes off and grabs the channel from the dab signal for every single station you scroll through.

C

cyberal

Audiophyte
Hi, im proud owner of TEAC A-H 500i and AG-H 350 ( for movies ).
I agree with opinion there are a great "toys" for good money :)!
I can reccomend it for everyone....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hi, im proud owner of TEAC A-H 500i and AG-H 350 ( for movies ).
I agree with opinion there are a great "toys" for good money :)!
I can reccomend it for everyone....
I'm glad you enjoy them.

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
Has anybody paired their system with a subwoofer? I don't see a sub-out on my A-H300 amplifier, and although not necessary, it might be nice to round the sound out a little bit.

A

auronihilist99

Enthusiast
I just purchased the Teac HA-501 Headphone Amp (black).

I like it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Has anybody paired their system with a subwoofer? I don't see a sub-out on my A-H300 amplifier, and although not necessary, it might be nice to round the sound out a little bit.
You would need to get a subwoofer with high level inputs (speaker level). That amplifier does not have any other way of being connected to a subwoofer.

I just purchased the Teac HA-501 Headphone Amp (black).

I like it.
I've often been curious about their newer products. The most recent one I tried was the CR-H500NT and I was extremely disappointed in it. It was noisy and there was no "lower volume" setting. It was either silent or unreasonably loud for background music.

C

cyberal

Audiophyte
Do You know what is real difference ( technical ) between A-H 500 and A-H 400 ? Is A-H 400 better sound than 500 ?

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
Just built a new stereo rack for my system so I figured I'd share some pictures and ask for some tech assistance. I love my Reference 300 system, so compact, attractive, and most importantly, sounds good. Now I just need to upgrade that cheesy USB turntable.

For my question: The cd player works with some cd's automatically, others it won't recognize immediately. For example, a Jackson Browne fires up immediately every time, the Peter Gabriel does not. So I let the Jackson Browne run for a few minutes and then put it the Peter Gabriel and it fires right up. I bought a replacement laser unit, but I'm really pretty afraid to remove the old and install the new one. I guess my thought is that a half working unit is better than a non-working tinkered-with unit. Thoughts?

Attachments

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Do You know what is real difference ( technical ) between A-H 500 and A-H 400 ? Is A-H 400 better sound than 500 ?
A-H400 is equivalent to the AG-H500 stereo receiver. The A-H500 is a cut and above the rest of them.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Just built a new stereo rack for my system so I figured I'd share some pictures and ask for some tech assistance. I love my Reference 300 system, so compact, attractive, and most importantly, sounds good. Now I just need to upgrade that cheesy USB turntable.

For my question: The cd player works with some cd's automatically, others it won't recognize immediately. For example, a Jackson Browne fires up immediately every time, the Peter Gabriel does not. So I let the Jackson Browne run for a few minutes and then put it the Peter Gabriel and it fires right up. I bought a replacement laser unit, but I'm really pretty afraid to remove the old and install the new one. I guess my thought is that a half working unit is better than a non-working tinkered-with unit. Thoughts?
I'd have someone that knows what they're doing get in there and fix it.

H

Harmonica

Enthusiast
How many of you Teac Reference series owners have also some turntable connected to your mini set?
For me (the choice of turntable) have caused some troubles. Yes, of course there are many, many decent turntables available (and if one looks vintages...even more). But to find one which would also ''match'' with those small Teacs...that is challenger. Below is what I have done.

1. round.
They just don't look and sound enough right =>
(ended up to my family's summer house).

2. round.
They might look nice/ok (with small Teac's), even sound better, but still something is missing =>
(ended to my little sister).

3. round.
They sound ok, but too easily look like giant wood monsters with those small Teac's =>
(ended to my another audio system/another room).

4. round
This is where I have come. Now I'm quite happy both sound and look (at least at the moment...who knows tomorrow.. :D)

Last edited:
J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
I have a turntable hooked up to my A-H300. It gets the job done for now, but it's complete garbage. I do like option #4, what is it?

E

endangered one

Audiophyte
hi , i am new to this forum but thought i would mention something here.
cleaning out a closet recently , discovered i have several teac reference h 500 series products.
some have original boxes. they look in pretty good shape and worked great before i stored them .
i did not use them for long after buying as
i shortly after purchasing started to collect and restore vintage stereo tube gear so i have no use for the teacs . not to mention i have way to much tube hi-fi gear i cannot use either !
figured before i put on ebay or similar would mention here in case someone is interested . i am in the states on the east coast. great forum !

solidamber

solidamber

Audiophyte
Hi, just joined (UK) I picked up 300 reference system inc A-H300 amp CD player, tuner, cassette deck and LS-300U speakers for £85, but I am only using the amp, it sounds great and the build quality is much better than modern kit.
I'm using a chromcast audio as my one and only source as I can cast from music apps, internet radio or localy stored music, the sound quality of the little gadget is amazing, I did a comparison between a track on the teac CD player and the same one on spotify and could hear no difference.

has anyone been using the LS-300U speakers, what are you thoughts on the sound quality?

Last edited:
X

xxxstarmanxxx

Audiophyte
Hi all - I've just joined also (UK) after falling in love with this thread! :)

I've just obtained the following:

A-H500i amp
T-H500 tuner
PD-H500i cd player

Just like solidamber above - I'm hooking up the system to Chromecast audio and controlling it with a dedicated nexus 7 tablet I had laying about in a drawer.

I'll be streaming flac files to it from a nas.

I have a couple of questions for anyone still active and interested in this thread.

Speakers: Are Teak speakers any good???? - LS-300U seem to go for peanuts second user in the UK ???

I want to replace the buttons on my cd player as the decals have worn off the front of the player - Does anyone know how easy it is to dismantle the faceplate ????

All the best

J.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis