SVS vs Klipsch ? what to choose

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I chose Klipsch over the SVS Ultra's because you can power Klipsch far more easily. Plus they look and sound amazing.
So after owning those big Klipsch and listening to them for hours and hours, days and days, weeks and weeks, etc., do they sound "harsh, bright, forward, or fatiguing" to you?

How do you deal with this "peer pressure" from fellow audiophiles who keep on insisting that Klipsch speakers sound harsh and bright?

I don't think I can deal with this peer pressure unless I also owned other speakers that are regarded as "neutral".:D

I think I sold my entire DefTech system because I couldn't deal with this peer pressure. :D

Back when I owned Linkwitz Orion, Revel Salon2, KEF 202/1, Philharmonic 3, I was "able" to own the B&W 802D2 and "deal" with this peer pressure. Otherwise, I just don't think I could it. :D

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
So after owning those big Klipsch and listening to them for hours and hours, days and days, weeks and weeks, etc., do they sound "harsh, bright, forward, or fatiguing" to you? :D
No. The problem with the "harsh" reputation is that several generations ago and to this day to some extent, Klipsch manufactured budget speakers "reference" you can get at stores like Best Buy and other discount brick and morter outlets. The Reference Premier line always was a step above and not what you would find at Best Buy. So naturally, the uneducated public that only had experience with Klipsch's budget lines they heard at the store powered by some cheap amplifier would go around claiming they're harsh and they likely were. But these people never heard the top of the line stuff like Heritage or Forte powered by quality equipment. When someone claims Klipsch is harsh.. well. You're dealing with a special person that doesn't live in the same world as people that know what Klipsch's other offerings are. I'm not one to legitimize someone's opinion based on their only experience being the entry level.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
i would like to listen to svs but i have not been able to find a location that has them. Whats your thoughts on the ultra bookshelf 5.1 system and add a svs sub to it? or using the prime towers?
I think best buy carries SVS, but I agree. I would love to hear them first.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I remember the first time I sat in front of some Klipsch RF 7's at a home theater of a forum member at a get-together with other members. Well after several hours I couldn't wait to get out of the guy's house. Not that he was a bad host, not that the food wasn't any good, not that the conversation wasn't great. I just couldn't take listening to them anymore, I was wore out exhausted. I just couldn't listen to the system anymore.
And I've sat in front of Klipsch on other occasions and have never been wow'd.
I always suggest that anybody thinking about Klipsch find them, sit in front of them for hours, and establish your own thoughts.
JMO

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
It's funny that with all the comments and criticisms of Klipsch being harsh, when I listened to the RPF 8000's I felt that the treble lacked detail.

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
i am stuck on these amps.. just not sure:

Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 Two Channel Power Amplifier - $600
outlaw model 5000X 5 channel (5 x 120) -$750
Niles SI-2100 - $350

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's funny that with all the comments and criticisms of Klipsch being harsh, when I listened to the RPF 8000's I felt that the treble lacked detail.
Yeah, I actually thought the RP-82ii were just a touch on the too bright side, the RP-280F was about perfect, and the RP-8000F over-compensated.
However, I recognize I like a more forward, less laid-back sound!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I remember the first time I sat in front of some Klipsch RF 7's at a home theater of a forum member at a get-together with other members. Well after several hours I couldn't wait to get out of the guy's house. Not that he was a bad host, not that the food wasn't any good, not that the conversation wasn't great. I just couldn't take listening to them anymore, I was wore out exhausted. I just couldn't listen to the system anymore.
And I've sat in front of Klipsch on other occasions and have never been wow'd.
I always suggest that anybody thinking about Klipsch find them, sit in front of them for hours, and establish your own thoughts.
JMO
I have never listened to the RF-7s critically.
However your comment "after several hours I couldn't wait to get out of the guy's house" makes me wonder how loud and what type of content. Obviously if you immediately wanted to get out, they are likely truly harsh, but if this is more of a case of listening fatigue, I have experienced that many times with many speakers. My belief is that they just like to crank it more than me (or they are doing it to show off how loud - which is one of the bragging rights of the Klipsch design).
When I play in the jazz band, if 1st trumpet, 1st trombone, or 4th trombone (the guy is a giant!) are pointed at me (even though across the room when we set up in a horseshoe layout), it sounds fantastic, but by the end of our 2.5 hour practices, my ears are happy that time is up. That is absolutely no distortion or color, just live acoustic sound. Obviously, the guitar, bass and piano are amplified, but they are not dominate instruments in the bands I am in.
If I listened to the same big band music over speakers at the same volume and my ears did not get fatigued, it would be because the speakers are not realistic! Since I do this twice a week (was 3X before Covid) I would miss the difference.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have never listened to the RF-7s critically.
However your comment "after several hours I couldn't wait to get out of the guy's house" makes me wonder how loud and what type of content. Obviously if you immediately wanted to get out, they are likely truly harsh, but if this is more of a case of listening fatigue, I have experienced that many times with many speakers. My belief is that they just like to crank it more than me (or they are doing it to show off how loud - which is one of the bragging rights of the Klipsch design).
When I play in the jazz band, if 1st trumpet, 1st trombone, or 4th trombone (the guy is a giant!) are pointed at me (even though across the room when we set up in a horseshoe layout), it sounds fantastic, but by the end of our 2.5 hour practices, my ears are happy that time is up. That is absolutely no distortion or color, just live acoustic sound. Obviously, the guitar, bass and piano are amplified, but they are not dominate instruments in the bands I am in.
If I listened to the same big band music over speakers at the same volume and my ears did not get fatigued, it would be because the speakers are not realistic! Since I do this twice a week (was 3X before Covid) I would miss the difference.
Excellent point. I don’t care how “neutral” the speaker is; if the Salon2, KEF Reference, Linkwitz Orions, Phil3, etc. are playing loud, I wouldn’t want to be there for 1 second, much less 2 or 3 hours.

The only time I want to listen to speakers is when the room is quiet and I can control the environment/system.

Parties are the last place I want to listen to speakers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Parties are the last place I want to listen to speakers.
Who said it was a party it was a get-together to audition speakers. You guys have never met up with other Forum members to listen to other systems and speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
i am stuck on these amps.. just not sure:

Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 Two Channel Power Amplifier - $600
outlaw model 5000X 5 channel (5 x 120) -$750
Niles SI-2100 - $350
I think the Niles is the best fit for your immediate needs.
The Outlaw offers good flexibility if you expect to add more speakers down the road.
The Parasound is overpriced (and likely made in the same plant as the Parasound - I know the Outlaw monoblocks are, not positive of the 5000).

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Speakers will sound different depending on if there is proper sound dampening in the room. It's a night and day difference listening to my RF7 III's in the living room vs the theater room with acoustic treatments. Sound bouncing around hard surfaces, walls, windows etc... is not pleasant and is usually blamed on the speakers. You also have to talk louder and play them louder to over compensate for the reflections.

Z

Zholo78

Audiophyte
I am going with the SVS over klipsch for the reviews from here and also customer service, I called then and they were on the phone with me for about 30 mins and I did not feel rushed or anything. Now i just have to wait to get a good deal on the ultra speakers :) does anyone know if they have decent sales around black Friday?

for Receiver i am looking at the 2020 model : Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (125 Watt X 9) AV Receiver 2020 Model
I am choosing between the same two and I am also leaning towards SVS all up for my 5.2.4 set up. Probably Pinnacle Towers. What did you get for your Surrounds and did you do Atmos as well? If so what do you suggest I get for the atmks speakers?

Z

Zholo78

Audiophyte
Folks I have a 4k budget for a 5.2.4 (maybe 5k for a 7.2.4) setup. Struggling to figure out whether to get the Klipsch or SVS..

Leaning towards SVS all up (Pinnacle Towers) but can somebody please help me with other choices for the rest of the system? I am decidedly not a audiophile..Just a regular joe who likes a good HT system. Speakers will be paired with a Denon XH3700.

Oh tips on the best place to buy these SVS subs, speakers would be appreciated too..

Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
@Zholo78

Well the SVS Elevation speakers are excellent and so are the Surround Bookshelfs so it seems like a no-brainer and you answered your own question the SVS Prime Pinnacles Rock on Bro Rock on

Z

Zholo78

Audiophyte
@Zholo78

Well the SVS Elevation speakers are excellent and so are the Surround Bookshelfs so it seems like a no-brainer and you answered your own question the SVS Prime Pinnacles Rock on Bro Rock on
Ok I guess for my needs I think I don't have to over think this .. Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ok I guess for my needs I think I don't have to over think this .. Thanks
And make sure you get a PORTED, 2000 or higher SVS subwoofer to compliment that system :)

And call SVS directly for your purchase

A

alphasig293

Audiophyte
Why do you need to call them directly when you order? I've been stuck on upgrading my Onkyo HTIB speakers for awhile. I purchased a Denon x3700 last fall and I really need to pull this trigger. I utilize a projector and just project onto a painted wall. My primary usage is just a HT, movies, TV/Sports, Gaming.

I get torn between Klipsch and SVS. My space is 28' x 23' x 7.5', so fairly large.

Costco is having a big Klipsch sale right now, you can get a Reference Dolby Atmos system for $800
  • 2 - R-625FA Tower Speakers
  • 2 - R-41M Bookshelf Speakers
  • 1 - R-52C Center Channel Speaker
Pair that with two subs (R-12SW $150 each) and additional BS r-41s for $80. I now have a 7.2.2 system for $1,200.

An SVS Pinnacle Surround (similar set up would be $4500)
SVS Prime Tower - $3800
SVS Ultra BS - $4700

Trying to get pricing on better Klipsch ($3,200). If I go with:
  • 2 - R-820F Tower Speakers
  • 4 - R-51M Bookshelf Speakers
  • 1 - R-34C Center Channel Speaker
  • 2 - R-41SA
  • 2 - R-120SW
I'm sure I probably have different levels of equipment here based on price alone, but will the Klipsch 820 system perform that much better than the 625s? What about the SVS systems?

thanks!

And make sure you get a PORTED, 2000 or higher SVS subwoofer to compliment that system :)

And call SVS directly for your purchase

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why do you need to call them directly when you order? I've been stuck on upgrading my Onkyo HTIB speakers for awhile. I purchased a Denon x3700 last fall and I really need to pull this trigger. I utilize a projector and just project onto a painted wall. My primary usage is just a HT, movies, TV/Sports, Gaming.

I get torn between Klipsch and SVS. My space is 28' x 23' x 7.5', so fairly large.

Costco is having a big Klipsch sale right now, you can get a Reference Dolby Atmos system for $800
  • 2 - R-625FA Tower Speakers
  • 2 - R-41M Bookshelf Speakers
  • 1 - R-52C Center Channel Speaker
Pair that with two subs (R-12SW $150 each) and additional BS r-41s for $80. I now have a 7.2.2 system for $1,200.

An SVS Pinnacle Surround (similar set up would be $4500)
SVS Prime Tower - $3800
SVS Ultra BS - $4700

Trying to get pricing on better Klipsch ($3,200). If I go with:
  • 2 - R-820F Tower Speakers
  • 4 - R-51M Bookshelf Speakers
  • 1 - R-34C Center Channel Speaker
  • 2 - R-41SA
  • 2 - R-120SW
I'm sure I probably have different levels of equipment here based on price alone, but will the Klipsch 820 system perform that much better than the 625s? What about the SVS systems?

thanks!
Can’t really speak to to the R series other than the RP seems a much better speaker. But my recommendation would be to do a 5.x.4 layout instead of 7.x.2. It will be more immersive. I would also look at better subwoofers, however “for the price” people seem to like them. Just know that there are much better options available, and imo, quality bass is worthwhile investment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis