SVS vs Klipsch ? what to choose

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just referring to a brand alone for someone like Klipsch doesn't mean a lot. Their heritage type speakers are different again....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd skip the Klipsch sub either way and get an SVS sub.
At $400, this particular Klipsch is pretty impressive.
Here is Tom V's (half-owner/designer for Power Sound Audio) comment on it:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I assume he was referring to the R-115SW at that point? I've seen the R-112SW equated to the R-120SW but not sure how that works, but Klipsch does have confusing schemes for naming subs over the years.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I know that there are 1 or 2 Klipsch subs that are decent, but they change their models so frequently that who knows how long it will be available for. I'd also rather just suggest a company that, overall, has a large percentage of good to very good subs. Plus for the $700ish mentioned in that post you could get a Hsu VTF-2 or a PB/C 2000 from the outlet, both of which would have more low end extension than that Klipsch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also seem to remember that even these better performing Klipsch subs like the R-112/115SWs had amp issues....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I assume he was referring to the R-115SW at that point? I've seen the R-112SW equated to the R-120SW but not sure how that works, but Klipsch does have confusing schemes for naming subs over the years.
R-115SW - Correct! Thanks for pointing that out (I should have made it clear). And of course, the R-112SW is cut from the same cloth.
I believe the R-112SW should not be equated to the R-120SW.
Based on MSRP,
the R-112SW is $649
the SPL-120 is $689, and
the R-120SW is $500.
Accordingly, I am pretty sure that the SPL-120 is the new version of the R-112SW and the R-120SW is a step down!
If you look at specs, the SPL-120 and R-112SW are 4 pounds apart (the plinth on the R-112SW probably accounts for that) and have 300WRMS - 600W max amps while the R-120SW is 19 pounds lighter and has a 200WRMS -400W max amp.
I believe the R-120SW is likely the replacement for the previous R-12SW.

Neither the R-110SW nor the R-115SW is listed by Crutchfield, so I'd guess those models are gone for good and Klipsch still had some inventory of the R-112SW's to sell!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
R-115SW - Correct! Thanks for pointing that out (I should have made it clear). And of course, the R-112SW is cut from the same cloth.
I believe the R-112SW should not be equated to the R-120SW.
Based on MSRP,
the R-112SW is $649
the SPL-120 is $689, and
the R-120SW is $500.
Accordingly, I am pretty sure that the SPL-120 is the new version of the R-112SW and the R-120SW is a step down!
If you look at specs, the SPL-120 and R-112SW are 4 pounds apart (the plinth on the R-112SW probably accounts for that) and have 300WRMS - 600W max amps while the R-120SW is 19 pounds lighter and has a 200WRMS -400W max amp.
I believe the R-120SW is likely the replacement for the previous R-12SW.

Neither the R-110SW nor the R-115SW is listed by Crutchfield, so I'd guess those models are gone for good and Klipsch still had some inventory of the R-112SW's to sell!
LOL yeah its the SPL-120 that was equated to the R-112SW....like I said, confusion! Still, I'd look elsewhere.....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know how anybody could recommend those Klipsch Subs shake my head

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
I am going with the SVS over klipsch for the reviews from here and also customer service, I called then and they were on the phone with me for about 30 mins and I did not feel rushed or anything. Now i just have to wait to get a good deal on the ultra speakers :) does anyone know if they have decent sales around black Friday?

for Receiver i am looking at the 2020 model : Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (125 Watt X 9) AV Receiver 2020 Model

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I can't say for sure whether they will or they won't but being an internet direct company first most of the time their prices are set very low as it is

N

nyckid565

Enthusiast
Once I receive my equipment is there a noob guide on how to calibrate my audio / video ?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know how anybody could recommend those Klipsch Subs shake my head
I assume this is directed towards me since I am the one suggesting a Klipsch sub!
So, what is your basis for this statement as directed at the specific subs I suggest R-112SW (and, by inference, R-110SW and R-115SW)?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I assume this is directed towards me since I am the one suggesting a Klipsch sub!
So, what is your basis for this statement as directed at the specific subs I suggest R-112SW (and, by inference, R-110SW and R-115SW)?
The statement wasn't directed directly at you was just a statement to anybody that recommends those Klipsch Subs.

With all the good performing Subs out there from SVS, Hsu, Monoprice, RSL and some of the others in all price points why would anyone recommend a Klipsch sub. To me it just doesn't make any sense when you have some proven performers. Again JMO.
And again another challenging question

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am going with the SVS over klipsch for the reviews from here and also customer service, I called then and they were on the phone with me for about 30 mins and I did not feel rushed or anything. Now i just have to wait to get a good deal on the ultra speakers :) does anyone know if they have decent sales around black Friday?

for Receiver i am looking at the 2020 model : Denon AVR-X4700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (125 Watt X 9) AV Receiver 2020 Model
Definitely check the outlet. @Pogre scored his for a great price.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Once I receive my equipment is there a noob guide on how to calibrate my audio / video ?
The receiver itself will walk you through doing an Audyssey calibration when you first turn it on. That usually does a good job of getting your distances and levels set up properly. For video calibration you can get a disc like the Spears and Munsil calibration disc to help you improve your tv's settings.

You can spend more money for better results with audio measurements/calibration through use of REW and a umik. Similarly you could pay to have your TV professionally calibrated as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The receiver itself will walk you through doing an Audyssey calibration when you first turn it on. That usually does a good job of getting your distances and levels set up properly. For video calibration you can get a disc like the Spears and Munsil calibration disc to help you improve your tv's settings.

You can spend more money for better results with audio measurements/calibration through use of REW and a umik. Similarly you could pay to have your TV professionally calibrated as well.
Yeah! Don’t forget the Spears and Munsil. Great tool.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Five years ago, I agreed with you, but they have changed there sound significantly.
Have a look at the frequency response and review:
I don’t think it will even matter if all the Klipsch speakers FR’s show a -6dB drop from 10kHz-20kHz. Some people see “Horn” or “Klipsch” and that equals to “harsh”, “bright”, and “fatigue“. :D

That’s why people should just listen to the speakers for themselves, not hearsay from the Internet. Except for Bose- we QUIT Bose. :D

If we look at FR from the high-end Paradigm, B&W 800s Diamonds, and GoldenEar, we would immediately think “harsh”, “bright”, and “fatigue“ because there is like a +5dB peak in the treble around 10kHz. Yet, a lot of people swear those speakers don’t sound that way.

Bias is to be reminded daily. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis