SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Most SVS products take a beating on AVS forums and DIY forums for the SPL to cost ratio. But they are an incredibly successful company who use distributors and dealers all who need a cut of profit. What you get is world class customer service and reliability with front end R&D. Yes you can get cheaper products from an internet direct company but you lose the R&D and some of companies are just one guy. What happens if he gets sick or dies.
I have nothing against SVS. It's just not my style of speaker. I'd likely choose something from Wharfedale instead.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Most SVS products take a beating on AVS forums and DIY forums for the SPL to cost ratio.
LOL. Everything takes a beating on the DIY forums. They can build things much cheaper than
you can buy commercial builds, that stands to reason. Now how they compare in sound quality is anybody's guess?
On AVS I don't know about SVS speakers, don't follow. I do know that anywhere that's done critical evaluations of subwoofers their products are near the top for value. Very hard to beat SVS and HSU on a cost vs performance scale.
Only speaking to this particular speaker that "holics" measured and listened to, it still comes out on the "very good" side of the ledger. Like any speaker it should be listened to before final purchase if possible. YMMV

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
LOL. Everything takes a beating on the DIY forums. They can build things much cheaper than
you can buy commercial builds, that stands to reason. Now how they compare in sound quality is anybody's guess?
On AVS I don't know about SVS speakers, don't follow. I do know that anywhere that's done critical evaluations of subwoofers their products are near the top for value. Very hard to beat SVS and HSU on a cost vs performance scale.
Only speaking to this particular speaker that "holics" measured and listened to, it still comes out on the "very good" side of the ledger. Like any speaker it should be listened to before final purchase if possible. YMMV
On the AVS subwoofer forum PSA is THE favorite but owner declines to send his units out of third party testing. Relying instead on a fan base word of mouth on that forum.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
On the AVS subwoofer forum PSA is THE favorite but owner declines to send his units out of third party testing. Relying instead on a fan base word of mouth on that forum.
Yep and the PSA owner attacks 3rd party measurements if they don't favor his products.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Yep and the PSA owner attacks 3rd party measurements if they don't favor his products.
OH NO, not another one of those.
That hasn't worked out too well for one guy who recently attacked the reviewer. :(

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, was Tom doing that even when he was at SVS?
This was our experience during the current PSA phase. SVS in the early days was a much different company for sure. I really like the direction they are in now under Gary Yacobian. He really knows how to run a successful company while also humanizing the brand to people during tradeshow and meet up events.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Some chatter over on ASR was hoping these would be more like KEF than Focal! :rolleyes:

Nobody is happy with anything just being what it is.

Oh... and because another review was met with derision, EVERYBODY DRINK!

:D

(I might need to revisit that and amend some of the conditions. Hmmm...)
I forgot about the drinking game. Oh boy.

I still think it's hilarious that people get all pissy about how a speaker has been reviewed or what the conclusion of said review is.

People do realize they don't have to buy the speaker in question right?

I'm doing it right now. Or not doing it. Whatever.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I forgot about the drinking game. Oh boy.

I still think it's hilarious that people get all pissy about how a speaker has been reviewed or what the conclusion of said review is.

People do realize they don't have to buy the speaker in question right?

I'm doing it right now. Or not doing it. Whatever.
You mean, drinking? ;)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This was our experience during the current PSA phase. SVS in the early days was a much different company for sure. I really like the direction they are in now under Gary Yacobian. He really knows how to run a successful company while also humanizing the brand to people during tradeshow and meet up events.
I don't really like the direction he's taking SVS. I'm chagrined by what I deem as a continuation of pandemic-era pricing. As I expressed before, they seem like they're leaving their core group of loyal customers behind. SVS's top-of-the-line gear used to be within reach of many consumers, but not anymore. It's like when a Toyota Corolla used to be a good, reliable, affordable economy car. However, that's not the case anymore. At this rate, I suspect that the next iteration of their flagship subwoofer will cost more than double their current flagship subwoofer, the Ultra PB16 $2,500, will be like $5,000 or more, again pricing out their core loyal customers.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
I suspect that the next iteration of their flagship subwoofer will cost more than double their current flagship subwoofer, the Ultra PB16 $2,500, will be like $5,000 or more, again pricing out their core loyal customers.
Maybe, maybe not. But have you been to the grocery store lately? o_O

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I stopped by Bjorns today

The Pinnacles are in. Looking forward to giving them an extensive demo next week. I know the sales guys and chatting with them away
20240622_151155.jpg
20240622_151319.jpg
from the desk they weren't to impressed with these. Looking forward to my own listening to see if I agree

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis