SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I was quite surprised to hear you make that comment of SVS reaction?
Overall I found the review a quite positive one with the sole slight criticism of the bottom
end balance. If I was in the market for this size and price speaker, it would be at the top of a
"must hear" list.
Strange times we live in.
Well maybe because of comments like this from the reviewer:

"Voiced for warmth rather than accuracy"

That's not good, especially for those seeking high fidelity and/or transparency.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
???
According to the SVS website here are the following tower speakers named Ultra Evolution.

1) Ultra Evolution Pinnacle (Flagship)
2) Ultra Evolution Titan (step down from the flagship)
3) Ultra Evolution Tower (basic Ultra Evolution 3rd tier tower speaker)

They do have an Ultra Evolution bookshelf speaker, however, which tower speaker is the bookshelf speaker a version of?

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Well maybe because of comments like this from the reviewer:

"Voiced for warmth rather than accuracy"

That's not good, especially for those seeking high fidelity and/or transparency.
I'm a stickler for accuracy but I don't find that a very importance problem here.
The average room is going to introduce much worse problems at the listening chair.
That's why we have quality DRC today.
Now if there was an issue above that in the critical midrange or beyond, THAT would be a problem. Those are problems not easily addressed by EQ.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
???
The also have an Ultra verison of the Elevation series.
I've considered upgrading my current Elevation Atmos speakers but I really don't think I'd
perceive much in my limited space?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I've considered upgrading my current Elevation Atmos speakers but I really don't think I'd
I don't understand the purpose of an Ultra Elevation speaker other than a money grab considering the price for those is double the current Prime Elevation speakers.

SVS also failed to introduce an Ultra Evolution surround speaker to replace their previous ones.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't studied the whole product line in depth, but find they've done a pretty complete job for most people.

How much of a SQ difference? That's personal preference. Upgrading would be based your your own values. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I still say SVS did not introduce a bookshelf version of their flagship speakers the Ultra Evolution Pinnacle.

A problem exists if you don't like what your ears are hearing. A measurement might confirm why a consumer doesn't like what they're hearing.
You mean this one?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're falling into the classic trap, Bill! Don't feed the... ;)
lol. Well he and I have had some doozies. Some people just bring it out. I’ll reel it in.

Of course there’s this…

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Writing disp
Buckchester is over at ASR now bad mouthing Audioholics....nice going BuckBoy !!
Nice how they spanked him over there too.

Writing disparaging comments about Audioholics on another forum breaks one of our forum rules and earned Buckchester a permanent ban here. No soup for him!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
You mean this one?
I put the same question to you.

According to the SVS website here are the following tower speakers named Ultra Evolution.

They do have an Ultra Evolution bookshelf speaker, however, which tower speaker is the bookshelf speaker a version of?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They use the same Tweet.
No designer would attempt crossing a Tweet to an 8" Woofer and expect good Directivity.

Beyond this, I don't get the point of your question. Monitor Audio makes a large and small Bookshelf option for their Silver line at least. One is not based on one Tower and the second on a different Tower.

It simply is two options to fit different scenarios and that work within the same lineup of Speakers.

Period.

There is no reason whatsoever to make a matching Bookshelf Speaker for each of 3 Towers.

Can you give an example of a company that has multiple Bookshelves designed to match each of multiple Towers in an existing single product line?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
They use the same Tweet.
No designer would attempt crossing a Tweet to an 8" Woofer and expect good Directivity.

Beyond this, I don't get the point of your question. Monitor Audio makes a large and small Bookshelf option for their Silver line at least. One is not based on one Tower and the second on a different Tower.

It simply is two options to fit different scenarios and that work within the same lineup of Speakers.

Period.

There is no reason whatsoever to make a matching Bookshelf Speaker for each of 3 Towers.

Can you give an example of a company that has multiple Bookshelves designed to match each of multiple Towers in an existing single product line?
I will point back to SVS themselves, their previous Ultra Towers or flagship towers. The Ultra bookshelves were the bookshelf version of the Ultra Towers. I don't care what their marketing says, I think you understand that, the Ultra Evolution bookshelf is not a bookshelf version of their current flagship Ultra Evolution Pinnacle towers.

BTW, Arendal has a bookshelf or monitor version of their 1723 THX flagship speaker.

"Featuring the same uncompromising approach we used to create the 1723 Tower, the 1723 Monitor was developed for smaller spaces. The 1723 Monitor features a completely custom-built 2-way lineup of mid-bass drivers and a waveguide tweeter you cannot find anywhere else. "

Doing so is pretty common for many speaker brands.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That’s not how this works in Speaker design and manufacturing. If you are truly here as a hobbyist you likely know and understand.

since you keep picking things to dislike and disagree with…

*shrugs

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yet SVS previously did exactly that.

SVS Prime Tower and bookshelf
SVS Ultra Tower and bookshelf.

It seems to me, which I have been lamenting that SVS appears to be moving away from their core customer base and has decided to get its feet wet in another tier of customers. It seems they're after the two-channel music crowd and not the HT enthusiasts where they made their mark.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I put the same question to you.

I don’t think it’s a BS version of either tower. Not sure exactly what you think that would look like. Please enlighten.
Like all svs speakers in a line, I believe this BS speaker is simply voiced the same, but without the power handling and max output. Designed to fit a space while still sounding great. It just has limitations.
Not sure how it can be a bookshelf version of anything but a bookshelf. If it was a bookshelf version of a tower, it would be a tower.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I don’t think it’s a BS version of either tower. Not sure exactly what you think that would look like. Please enlighten.
Like all svs speakers in a line, I believe this BS speaker is simply voiced the same, but without the power handling and max output. Designed to fit a space while still sounding great. It just has limitations.
Not sure how it can be a bookshelf version of anything but a bookshelf. If it was a bookshelf version of a tower, it would be a tower.
I'm not saying a manufacturer should have a bookshelf version for every model of towers in their collection. I just think it's a good thing to get the same quality of sound from a flagship tower speaker in a smaller cabinet. Some of us are space-constrained and can't fit two big towers in our space.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not saying a manufacturer should have a bookshelf version for every model of towers in their collection. I just think it's a good thing to get the same quality of sound from a flagship tower speaker in a smaller cabinet. Some of us are space-constrained and can't fit two big towers in our space.

Why do you say that like it’s not the case?
What would make this BS a BS version of one of the towers to you? (I think it is FWIW)

Like I said. I believe the bs do sound the same. They just don’t have the same dynamic capabilities. If you can’t fit a tower then
get more space. Or be satisfied that the BS version is all you can get.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yet SVS previously did exactly that.

SVS Prime Tower and bookshelf
SVS Ultra Tower and bookshelf.
Wrong. This is where your argument fails.

The Prime and previous Ultra lineup were two separate series of Speakers. They intentionally voice them similarly so people could mix and match if they so chose. BUT they were still two distinct series.

So just as I mentioned Monitor Audio before, they have Bronze and Silver series that are priced in this category... each of those Series had multiple Towers. Then they had a single large and a single small Bookshelf.

You are arguing for the sake of arguing and not honoring the question I asked you after giving you a fir and reasonable answer.

Name a company who has a series of Speakers wherein they have multiple options of Tower and a specifically matched Bookshelf to EACH of the Towers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis