SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle Review

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Why do you say that like it’s not the case?
What would make this BS a BS version of one of the towers to you? (I think it is FWIW)

Like I said. I believe the bs do sound the same. They just don’t have the same dynamic capabilities. If you can’t fit a tower then
get more space. Or be satisfied that the BS version is all you can get.
Or go with a different brand that fits your needs. :) Anyway, I am just kind of suspicious of SVS, I believe they might have cut corners on the Ultra Evolution bookshelf speakers. I don't know that, however, I think we will find out in the future.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or go with a different brand that fits your needs. :) Anyway, I am just kind of suspicious of SVS, I believe they might have cut corners on the Ultra Evolution bookshelf speakers. I don't know that, however, I think we will find out in the future.
So slow down. Why do you seem to insist that this BS speakers isn’t a bs version of the tower? I told you why I think this. Again, why do think it’s not?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Wrong. This is where your argument fails.

The Prime and previous Ultra lineup were two separate series of Speakers. They intentionally voice them similarly so people could mix and match if they so chose. BUT they were still two distinct series.

So just as I mentioned Monitor Audio before, they have Bronze and Silver series that are priced in this category... each of those Series had multiple Towers. Then they had a single large and a single small Bookshelf.

You are arguing for the sake of arguing and not honoring the question I asked you after giving you a fir and reasonable answer.

Name a company who has a series of Speakers wherein they have multiple options of Tower and a specifically matched Bookshelf to EACH of the Towers.
I was just responding to your quote "There is no reason whatsoever to make a matching Bookshelf Speaker for each of 3 Towers."

My point is that SVS did exactly that. The Ultra Evolution Towers, at least from SVS's standpoint, are different tiers of speakers and are priced to reflect that. Although they are named similarly they represent difference in performance which essentially makes them different speakers.

1) Ultra Evolution Pinnacle (Flagship) $5,000 a pair.
2) Ultra Evolution Titan (2nd tier, step down) $4,000 a pair.
3) Ultra Evolution Tower (3rd tier) $3,000 a pair.

Ultra Evolution bookshelf $1200 a pair.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So slow down. Why do you seem to insist that this BS speakers isn’t a bs version of the tower? I told you why I think this. Again, why do think it’s not?
To be honest, the price disparity between the Ultra Evolution Pinnacles and the Ultra Evolution Bookshelf is $5,000 a pair vs $1200. I know price differences don't all equate to unequal performance, but it makes me suspicious.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest, the price disparity between the Ultra Evolution Pinnacles and the Ultra Evolution Bookshelf is $5,000 a pair vs $1200. I know price differences don't all equate to unequal performance, but it makes me suspicious.
Well I’m sure much of the difference is simply materials. Some of which would include the XO’s and the time spent in R and D. There’s also a premium associated with a flagship speaker.
So basically you’re saying that the ultra evolution BS is NOT a bookshelf version of these towers because it’s cheap? Surely you don’t think that this bookshelf speaker would perform the same as the tower but just in a smaller form factor. That would be mental.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Although they are named similarly they represent difference in performance which essentially makes them different speakers.
Well isn’t that the case for any “line” of speakers? Are you saying you expect the BS to perform the same as the tower?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There are a lot of good reasons why the price is so much lower. Logistically, it is much less expensive to deal with bookshelf speakers than towers. The cost of shipping the towers is far more; they have to be shipped by freight whereas the bookshelf can be shipped by any standard parcel service. The packing is also much more expensive. The towers have over 3x as many drivers. The crossover circuit is going to be way more expensive because those towers are going to need some pricey inductors. The process of applying a nice finish on the towers is going to be far more expensive since they have 4x the surface area, if not more, and are also much more involved to physically handle. The internal structure of the tower is much more complicated. The towers also have feet. The bookshelfs have a quarter of the weight of the towers. Keep in mind that the manufacturing cost constitutes about 20 to 25% of the end pricing, so these material and assembly costs get multiplied by a factor of 4 to 5.

And there is no reason to think that the bookshelf speaker is somehow qualitatively worse. It is just many of the same design elements, just scaled down.

The question you might be asking instead is why, for other brands, is the pricing between the bookshelf and towers so close?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Well isn’t that the case for any “line” of speakers? Are you saying you expect the BS to perform the same as the tower?
I expect the same level of performance between a well-made tower speaker and a well-made bookshelf other than output and low-frequency response.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
There are a lot of good reasons why the price is so much lower. Logistically, it is much less expensive to deal with bookshelf speakers than towers. The cost of shipping the towers is far more; they have to be shipped by freight whereas the bookshelf can be shipped by any standard parcel service. The packing is also much more expensive. The towers have over 3x as many drivers. The crossover circuit is going to be way more expensive because those towers are going to need some pricey inductors. The process of applying a nice finish on the towers is going to be far more expensive since they have 4x the surface area, if not more, and are also much more involved to physically handle. The internal structure of the tower is much more complicated. The towers also have feet. The bookshelfs have a quarter of the weight of the towers. Keep in mind that the manufacturing cost constitutes about 20 to 25% of the end pricing, so these material and assembly costs get multiplied by a factor of 4 to 5.

And there is no reason to think that the bookshelf speaker is somehow qualitatively worse. It is just many of the same design elements, just scaled down.

The question you might be asking instead is why, for other brands, is the pricing between the bookshelf and towers so close?
You do indeed make some good points to consider when it comes to their pricing. What you said above would stand true for other speaker manufacturers as well. To be fair to SVS it makes a lot of sense to consider your points.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

You're asking why other manufacturers bookshelves are more expensive relative to their tower offerings and not getting a reasoned answer should put this all to bed,

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Great review as always.

As skeptical as I can be at times, I really haven't had any reason to question reviews or motives here. This is the only audio related site I really visit now, other than some DIY outlets.

I'm a difficult, if not impossible sale with what drives prices of things these days, such as internet hype. There are way too many designs for me to choose from now and I will never see the value in a pair of 2-way 6.5" or less, bookshelf speakers, that cost more than $1500/pair.

With that said, these days, when I find a speaker that performs well enough, I'll hold onto it until it dies, and perhaps even keep a spare set/parts, so that I don't have to shop around and scrutinize yet another set, all the while hoping for the best.

SVS just never got on my radar, even though they have been in front of it pretty much constantly for the last 7-8 years. I really don't see what they do differently.

Anymore, I tend to go for speakers that use proprietary (as in, self designed/manufactured) drivers when looking at brand types. If I see Peerless, SEAS, Purifi, SBA etc., rearranged in yet another configuration to the same end, I'd just as soon build a kit or design my own.

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
There are way too many designs for me to choose from now and I will never see the value in a pair of 2-way 6.5" or less, bookshelf speakers, that cost more than $1500/pair.
I completely agree with you there. I just can't see any more than $1k each for stand mounts, and they dang well better have some beautiful world class wood finished cabinets at that price. Better yet just offer them in a unfinished version for $500 each and I'll stain them myself. :p
That's what I did back in 1979 when I bought my Klipsch LaScala's. Too bad that option nowhere to be seen in todays world unless you go for a completely DIY build.

SVS just never got on my radar, even though they have been in front of it pretty much constantly for the last 7-8 years. I really don't see what they do differently.
I've got dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers here. Their original direct sale marketing allowed for very competitively priced products but I think things have changed a bit now. But IMO they do still offer one of the best performance values around.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I completely agree with you there. I just can't see any more than $1k each for stand mounts, and they dang well better have some beautiful world class wood finished cabinets at that price. Better yet just offer them in a unfinished version for $500 each and I'll stain them myself. :p
That's what I did back in 1979 when I bought my Klipsch LaScala's. Too bad that option nowhere to be seen in todays world unless you go for a completely DIY build.

I've got dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers here. Their original direct sale marketing allowed for very competitively priced products but I think things have changed a bit now. But IMO they do still offer one of the best performance values around.
Most SVS products take a beating on AVS forums and DIY forums for the SPL to cost ratio. But they are an incredibly successful company who use distributors and dealers all who need a cut of profit. What you get is world class customer service and reliability with front end R&D. Yes you can get cheaper products from an internet direct company but you lose the R&D and some of companies are just one guy. What happens if he gets sick or dies.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Most SVS products take a beating on AVS forums and DIY forums for the SPL to cost ratio. But they are an incredibly successful company who use distributors and dealers all who need a cut of profit. What you get is world class customer service and reliability with front end R&D. Yes you can get cheaper products from an internet direct company but you lose the R&D and some of companies are just one guy. What happens if he gets sick or dies.
Yeah SVS is not my go to company anymore for audio but they are a very good company. I will always give them credit. Some of their products aren't perfect but you are getting a LOT for your money even today

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah SVS is not my go to company anymore for audio but they are a very good company. I will always give them credit. Some of their products aren't perfect but you are getting a LOT for your money even today
I know I've always been intrigued by them.

The Customer Bill Of Rights program is costly, though: I'm certain of this. It is both boon and curse wrapped up in a trap they will have a very hard time unwinding if ever they chose to.

Admittedly, I do find how they treat their customers to be very admirable, especially every time I see a story about a Driver or Amp going bad outside of warranty and they still send a replacement for free.

But what markup do they have to put on every product to pay for that?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

The Customer Bill Of Rights program is costly, though: I'm certain of this. It is both boon and curse wrapped up in a trap they will have a very hard time unwinding if ever they chose to.

Admittedly, I do find how they treat their customers to be very admirable, especially every time I see a story about a Driver or Amp going bad outside of warranty and they still send a replacement for free.

I just like their company’s policies. Top down siding with the customer is the right way to do business. Crutchfield is not the cheapest option either but I will miss them when they are gone—out competed by the Amazons of the world. But come to think of it, Amazon has some pretty handy return options.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I do think especially with the way the economy changes over the last 4 to 5 years have gone down that the bill of rights policy has kindoff come back to bite them in the butt a little with pricing.

But in all fairness almost all audio companies have been bitten by that situation.

I will say that when I did own a lot of their gear and their subs I did have some issues with the PB 4000's series

Both amps died and this caused both drivers to eventually fail.

Never ONCE did I get anything but superior customer service in this situation.

4 straight times they just shipped me new drivers and amps and were extremely awesome and pleasent to work with

It may be expensive but with SVS you do get treated like royalty when something does go wrong

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just to be clear, I'm not saying I don't like it, BUT... Every item they sell has to pay for that generosity. I agree with both of you that the policies are beneficial to their core customers. It absolutely made me give them a closer look, as well.
To be fair, you can still treat your actual and prospective clients well and the good companies do this anyway.
;)

Free shipping isn't "free," after all. :)

S

Sal1950

Junior Audioholic
Though they may not have as high a performance vs dollar ratio as they did when they
were strictly a direct marketing company, I still find them to have a very high ratio on most everything. Their subs, along with HSU, "another direct" company IMHO are still at the top P/V.
I've also got 4 Prime Elevations for Atmos and when you look at the included special hardware which makes true ceiling mount very simple, there's little else out there in competition. That hardware was so well thought out, I was impressed.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Great review as always.

As skeptical as I can be at times, I really haven't had any reason to question reviews or motives here. This is the only audio related site I really visit now, other than some DIY outlets.

I'm a difficult, if not impossible sale with what drives prices of things these days, such as internet hype. There are way too many designs for me to choose from now and I will never see the value in a pair of 2-way 6.5" or less, bookshelf speakers, that cost more than $1500/pair.

With that said, these days, when I find a speaker that performs well enough, I'll hold onto it until it dies, and perhaps even keep a spare set/parts, so that I don't have to shop around and scrutinize yet another set, all the while hoping for the best.

Anymore, I tend to go for speakers that use proprietary (as in, self designed/manufactured) drivers when looking at brand types. If I see Peerless, SEAS, Purifi, SBA etc., rearranged in yet another configuration to the same end, I'd just as soon build a kit or design my own.
I've seen a pair of two way bookshelf speakers advertised costing $25,000.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis