SVS SB-1000 or Rythmik L12

D

Doubleroll

Enthusiast
I have finally narrowed it down to these 2 subs due to size and finish. WAF & and neighbor consideration as well...

Small second home condo total 692 sq ft. Room is 12’ 9” x 19’ 4” x 9’ ceiling, open floor plan. 70” Vizio display. Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar with Room correction. Probably 50/50 music/movies.

SVS SB-1000 or Rythmik L12, can check the SVS at BB but not the L12 of course. Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless they're properly setup in your own room doubt any store test will tell you much. They're probably more similar than different.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
PB1000 would be my choice for HT/Music. Never heard the L12, but it gets alot of love on this forum.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe look at HSU Research VTF2 mk5
Looks like that is too big for the OP. I did ask Hsu why they never did a sealed 12", and they told me that sealed 12"s just don't have enough output. For low-end at least, I have to agree.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like that is too bug for the OP. I did ask Hsu why they never did a sealed 12", and they told me that sealed 12"s just don't have enough output. For low-end at least, I have to agree.
Do sealed 15’s do much better in output?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Do sealed 15’s do much better in output?
Yes, much better. Aside from the 50%+ surface area increase, there is a lot more room for a larger spider which makes it easier to achieve greater excursions.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Here we go again, being bassoholics. The room is 13x19x9 and he has neighbor considerations and WAF issues, and off we go on a pair of huge subs. I love AH. The home of way too much is just right below 60Hz.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here we go again, being bassoholics. The room is 13x19x9 and he has neighbor considerations and WAF issues, and off we go on a pair of huge subs. I love AH. The home of way too much is just right below 60Hz.
Which is to say, Irv, I do agree. :)
But darn if he wouldn't be just completely blown away with some Dual 18s! (What!??, they're sealed!) o_O:oops::rolleyes:

OK, but seriously... in a room just over 2000'3, and unless OP is chasing serious infrasonics, I like the PB 1000 or PB 2000 depending on his budget. Duals of course, but he can decide that road for himself. :)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My pick would be the Rythmik L12. It digs deeper (per published specs) and has more tuning options but is a tick bigger and a tick more expensive.

...and I am a happy SVS owner.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My pick would be the Rythmik L12. It digs deeper (per published specs) and has more tuning options but is a tick bigger and a tick more expensive.

...and I am a happy SVS owner.
To be honest, both subs do not have reasonable specs regarding the lower end of their response window for what is probably a medium excursion 12 in a small sealed cabinet. Below 40 or 30 Hz they will run out of linear throw really quickly. That isn't a design you want to pursue deep bass with at all.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
To be honest, both subs do not have reasonable specs regarding the lower end of their response window for what is probably a medium excursion 12 in a small sealed cabinet. Below 40 or 30 Hz they will run out of linear throw really quickly. That isn't a design you want to pursue deep bass with at all.
The SB1000 does pretty well at 32Hz. At 25Hz there's not much there, but it's in a room that's about 23x25x12. That's why I asked about action movies and deep bass. The SB1000 isn't going to make you think a tyrannosaur is thumping around a few feet away, nor will two SB1000s IMO.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah that's what I figure hence the caveat. I was too lazy to go looking for measurements but I think either would make him happier then with no sub if he is reasonable. (Not an AHer!) I still bet the Rythmik would be a better choice even if it is marginal...and it probably is marginal.

I run an AV123 X-Sub (I won an AH giveaway and hey...it still works) in a ~2500 cuft room at our vacation house in a 2.1 system and we enjoy it. It's nothing like the SVS pb12plus at home but it makes music and thumps in movies more enjoyable.

D

Doubleroll

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! I would love the dual 18 JTR but...not sure my neighbors would like tyrannosaurus running around the place ;-)

D

Doubleroll

Enthusiast
Well I just pulled the trigger on the SB-1000 worst case I can send it back since SVS has that great bill of rights. Anyone use or recommend the isolation feet? The condo is a newer building with tile floors...thoughts?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well I just pulled the trigger on the SB-1000 worst case I can send it back since SVS has that great bill of rights. Anyone use or recommend the isolation feet? The condo is a newer building with tile floors...thoughts?
I tried the isolation feet. I'm not sure they're worth the expense.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I use them in a two part system that works great in my situation. For the feet by themselves, they will help stop the physical transfer of energy from the sub to the structure. They will not stop the sound energy. If you want to try something much less expensive:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis