SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Preview

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys, sorry to bother you again in this thread, but perhaps you can help me understand something. I recently purchased SB-2000 and had a few days to listen to it and evaluate. I now moved it to the floor, about 2 feet from the left corner of a 5000+ cubic feet room. I absolutely love it! I now have a good balance of low, mid and high bass in majority of listening locations. What I don't understand is this: why does this sub dig deeper in this extra large room than my SB-13 Ultra in a 3000 cubic feet theater room? Shouldn't it be the other way around, given the difference in driver size, enclosure volume and room size? SB-2000 plays well into the low teens, while Ultra stops producing sound pressure (despite moving quite a bit) at around 17 Hz. Above 30 Hz I would probably prefer the Ultra, but below that SB-2000 has a less steep roll-off than the Ultra, so the ultra low bass balance is better. Can this be attributed to room acoustics? Neither of the subs have had any equalization done to them.
The size of the room in cubic feet gives a general guideline as to how much room gain you will get, but what actually matters is the longest room dimension. So long rectangular 3000 cu. ft room with openings to other areas might give very little room gain, a more square larger room could actually give room gain starting at a higher frequency. The frequency in Hz at which you will begin to get room gain = 565/(longest room dimension in feet).

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
When can we expect an official review of either of these subs at audioholics?
No time soon it would seem as they simply quoted someone else's test data, added a bit of their own fluff, and called it a review.

M

muadibe

Audiophyte
IS there no one else?

So, SVS is great. But is there no one else producing audioplhile quality subs at $700 and $800. WHat are the others doing at this price range, namely Polk, Boston Acoustics, etc. Is what they produce junk?

And for a home theater of 2,600 to 2,800 cubic feet, do I really need to shell out $2,000 plus for SHU or Martin Logan. Are they alone in this price point?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Svs, hsu, rhythmik, outlaw... There are a few great subs to be found at a similar price point.

... but I'm sending some righteous indignation. Did I miss something?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So, SVS is great. But is there no one else producing audioplhile quality subs at $700 and $800. WHat are the others doing at this price range, namely Polk, Boston Acoustics, etc. Is what they produce junk?

And for a home theater of 2,600 to 2,800 cubic feet, do I really need to shell out $2,000 plus for SHU or Martin Logan. Are they alone in this price point?
We have a downloadable and printable spreadsheet of EVERY SUB we've EVER tested that compares specs, output, room size rating, etc for you to make that determination. It's posted on EVERY subwoofer review as well as our measurement standard. You should be able to find 1-2 alternative options in there but there aren't many at this price point.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
We have a downloadable and printable spreadsheet of EVERY SUB we've EVER tested that compares specs, output, room size rating, etc for you to make that determination. It's posted on EVERY subwoofer review as well as our measurement standard. You should be able to find 1-2 alternative options in there but there aren't many at this price point.
The link in question: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/e-sub-e110-e112/Audioholics Excel compilation-041014.pdf

K

kini

Full Audioholic

Polk, Boston etc.. are not junk per say, but they don't compare from a price perspective. You get a much better sub for the price by going with an ID manufacturer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Polk, Boston etc.. are not junk per say, but they don't compare from a price perspective. You get a much better sub for the price by going with an ID manufacturer.
Not all ID manufacturers. Only a select few are truly giving you better performance per dollar than the B&M competitors. This can clearly be seen in our tabulated reports and reviews.

V

Vivo

Audiophyte
Hi everybody,
I'm planning to purchase a subwoofer to complete my 2.1 setup. I found a discounted Yamaha NS-SW 700 sub for less than 400E and I know once it reached 900E. Could you tell how it compares to the SVS S(P)B-2000. Is there much difference in the quality of presentation between them. I live in apartment and looking for good quality bass at low volume, my room is approximately 2000 cubic feet.

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic

From what I have seen, any sub from SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Outlaw, and PSA will handily outperform any normal retail brand at a similar price. Take a look at PSA's XS15se for a great sealed sub for $799 shipped, and their XV15se @ $899 shipped. A lot of bang for the buck with those two options imo.

D

drvasek

Audiophyte
hi guys new to the forum here. anyway i have a problem i hope someone here can help me with. but first my setup:

samsung 55 led 3d tv
onkyo 818
dv64 bic tower speakers
polk audio center speaker
4 rear onkyo speakers
ps4(blu ray player)
and just recieved today thru fed ex svs pb2000

and there is where my problem lies. im very excited read all positive reviews about this beast go and hook it up and...underwhelmed. prior to this i used a polk audio subwoofer pvs i think it was and it was way deeper than what this sub is putting out. now i know this has to be to the way i have the sub setup since the svs is rated way higher than this. but after today messing with the sub im ready to send it back! i know i have 45 days so can someone tell me the proper setup for this setup. right now i have the lowpass frequency knob set around 80. ran audyssey when i hooked it up and it set it at 120hz. svs says to set the knob to LFE. but it sounds real weak at that setting.i also know that finding the sweet spot for the sub makes alot of difference as how the sub sounds but i have the only option of putting it in a corner.ive been listening to music that people have recommended to demo out the sub but i am very disappointed so far. maybe i shouldnt have got ported maybe the sealed woofer is better for my situation. by the way my room is 15x15x10 so its not a big room. i really wanted to love this subwoofer but im really tempted to send it packing. also i plan on calling svs support over the weekend since i took today off work to be home to recieve the sub. but in the meantime maybe u guys could give me suggestions thanks
CloneRanger,

Did you ever fix this? I just received my SVS PB2000 yesterday and was up until 4am last night setting up the sub with my Denon x4000. I feel the exact same way! I ran Audyssey and I'm underwhelmed and disappointed to say the least! I could not hear or feel the bass at all. I couldn't even tell it was plugged in. My $330 Logitech Z906 system sounds better!

Let me know if you were able to fix this or make adjustments to satisfy the $$ amount for this sub.

thanks,

-dave

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
move the subwoofer to another location, re-calibrate and try again

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
with Yammy AVR's ur supposed to set the crossover to the minimum level and the phase to its minimum or maximum setting, run YPAO and let the LFE do its thing. is it the same for Denon Audyssey? plus what Mike C said. something ain't right.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
and make sure, all speakers are set to small. 80hz or higher crossover.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Hi Dave -

If you are not happy with the performance where Audyssey level-matched the PB-2000, then try the following:

• Manually set the AVR sub channel level to -5.
  • Then manually increase the gain on the subwoofer until you are satisfied with output/performance. This may result in a gain setting in the 2-3 o'clock region - don't worry about that.
As others have said above - make sure all speakers are set to Small with a crossover which is appropriate for the bass extension and dynamic limits of the speaker being used in that channel. A general rule with Audyssey is that you can move the crossover up (from where Audyssey set it), but not down.

So if Audyssey set any of the speakers to Large (full-band) or Small with a very deep crossover (like 40 Hz), you can shift-up the crossover a bit in each channel to send more of the speaker channel bass to the subwoofer.

S

Slyder01

Audiophyte
Can a "Y" splitter be used to run 2 front subs, I have an sb2000 on the way and would like to run my other sub with it (polk dsw micro pro 4000) and I'm also using a micro pro 1000 for a rear sub. If so, how would I calibrate them? I'm using a Yamaha rxA2000 receiver to power my system, thanks

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
Had my SB-2000 just delivered. I've not done any calibration or experimentation with room position. It's for a secondary cinema project, the room is my gym/office and it's a small bedroom (4mx2.5mx2.6m) (London home!)

Shockingly the in room performance is f3 at 6hz and that's >105db! I couldn't believe it from such a tiny thing.

As a purchaser I've always gone for the big ported subs because of the response graphs but now I now a little more thanks to places like Audioholics and AVSForums I understand the difference between roll off slopes on sealed vs ported. I think SVS should make a much bigger deal of that!

Well done Ed and SVS!

Attachments

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Shockingly the in room performance is f3 at 6hz and that's >105db! I couldn't believe it from such a tiny thing.
f3 at 6hz !!!!!!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p
What's the verdict from your neighbors? :D:D:D:D:D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Had my SB-2000 just delivered. I've not done any calibration or experimentation with room position. It's for a secondary cinema project, the room is my gym/office and it's a small bedroom (4mx2.5mx2.6m) (London home!)

As a purchaser I've always gone for the big ported subs because of the response graphs but now I now a little more thanks to places like Audioholics and AVSForums I understand the difference between roll off slopes on sealed vs ported. I think SVS should make a much bigger deal of that!

Well done Ed and SVS!
F3 6hz? Your methodology is off somewhere

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
I did think the graph looked unusual and wasn't quite believing it. Not sure what I've done wrong because I've been taking hundreds of measurements in the main theatre room and EQ'd an SVS PB13 and pc2000 to pretty flat until 16hz (see attached REW). Nothing has changed in the measuring setup. A umik 1 with 90 degree calibration using latest rew beta

The subs in the main room never get this low it's a much bigger space and they are ported.

Any ideas? I've re run lots and got the same measurements

Should say I've also moved the mic around from less than a meter to 2.5m away and the sub 20hz response is still similar

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis