SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Preview

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Just got my pb-2000 and though I haven't listened to it yet, the box is mutilated and the seams of the cabinet are not even. Other than that the website states a frequency range of 17- 260 hz and the box says 18-150 hz. Not to complain but I'm a little upset at first impression. Have to let it warm up a bit before listening as it's -4 degrees here in Massachusetts. Any thoughts on the frequency range?
Shoot that question straight to SVS and they'll hit you with an answer very quickly.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Just got my pb-2000 and though I haven't listened to it yet, the box is mutilated and the seams of the cabinet are not even. Other than that the website states a frequency range of 17- 260 hz and the box says 18-150 hz. Not to complain but I'm a little upset at first impression. Have to let it warm up a bit before listening as it's -4 degrees here in Massachusetts. Any thoughts on the frequency range?
This is too much..... obviously it's not up to the level of Swiss quality.... this is discouraging :confused:
Unless SVS comes with a very good explanation for this lack of control, I will be very suspicious...

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
I just fired the sub up and it is ridiculous. I'll never use this to anywhere near it's potential. I wasn't expecting it while watching a movie and it kicked in suddenly to knock a shelf clean off the wall and shattered a glass vase. I couldn't care less about the frequency range, damaged box or the vase. This thing is an all out beast and Thank God I only got one. I don't have a lot of experience with subs but this one has exceeded my expectations without even setting it up. I'll sweep up the mess I made and run a calibration on it, then post back.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
I'd like to know what exactly it was you were watching? That way if I get one I can be prepared :)

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
A scene in the woman in black. There was nothing happening and suddenly I got the sh..t scared out of me. Lol...

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
Oh yea, that is the movie with Harry Potter in it, well, whatever his real name is. Thanks for the warning :eek: So your first impression of the PB2000 was good? How did it compare to your dual PB1000s? I ask because I have dual 1000s and was thinking of doing 2 PB 2000s.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i believe the frequency response spec in the box is in error. the performance you are getting is what is specified in the website.

P

phmills

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

The SB-2000 came in yesterday, I've been breaking it in with some music and am currently watching "Jack Reacher"... Just FYI, I'm new to the land of subwoofers, so I'll offer the best thoughts I can from an audio amateur.

Setup: AudioEngine A5+ speakers, Hifiman HM-101 portable DAC (from computer USB), SVS SB-2000 (currently with input directly into the SB-2000 and output from SB-2000 into the A5's.
Very initial impressions:
-This sub is muuuuch more powerful than the SB12-NSD. Granted, my setup is in a very small bedroom (~10'x8' ish -- currently in a small college apartment for the semester) so it doesn't take much at all to fill up the room. I have the gain set around 1/4 of max right now with the music/movie output coming out from my computer through a hifiman hm-101. My computer volume is maybe 90% and this sub is bringing down the walls of the place easily. When I've been playing music I have the sub turned down to less than 1/4 max and it still has more than enough output to have me worrying about bothering my neighbors...
-I'm really not hearing the deeper extension claims to a noticeable extent, but then again I am in a tiny room to start with and may have gotten quite a bit of help from the room gain with the SB12-NSD. Also, I really haven't had many listening hours yet, so these are just first impressions.
-The box that it came in was in great shape unlike pcsolutionz's was, however, it also listed inconsistent specs that the sub is 23-270Hz (The website claims 19-220 HZ). Interestingly, it also had an option printed on the box that the sub could come in a piano gloss black option like the previous SB12-NSD. Maybe this is something they will be adding in the future? I'm not sure.

Anyways those are just a few first things I've noticed! Now back to the movie and face-melting bass :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
i believe the frequency response spec in the box is in error. the performance you are getting is what is specified in the website.
You should get back to the SVS guys so errors like this is fixed!

P

phmills

Audiophyte
Just sent an email about it to customer service- I'll report back about what they say about it!
I got a quick reply saying that there is definitely a misprint on the SB-2000 box and they will get it corrected immediately!

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
All the folks that preordered the PBs must be playing with their new toys this weekend.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Any other PB-2000 experiences?

Please share at your convenience. Thanks in advance!

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Since PB-2000 and SB-2000 subwoofers are now actively shipping (as of Jan 22nd, 2014), approximately when can we expect a formal Audioholics review of these products?

Thank you!

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Any other PB-2000 experiences?

Please share at your convenience. Thanks in advance!
By the way.. I forgot to add that I will be comparing my new dual PB-2000 subwoofers with my existing dual PB-12 NSD subwoofers later this week. I will post my comparison findings between these two models in 1-2 weeks (PB-2000 vs. PB-12 NSD).

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
There are two customer reviews of the PB2000 over at the SVS product site. Nothing yet on the SB2000. I suspect that the in-depth reviews(measurements) here at audioholics(and other forums) won't come for awhile yet.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
There are two customer reviews of the PB2000 over at the SVS product site. Nothing yet on the SB2000. I suspect that the in-depth reviews(measurements) here at audioholics(and other forums) won't come for awhile yet.
Thanks for mentioning that!

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Just read the customer reviews on SVS' website and sounds like PB-2000 is an awesome sub :) I can't wait to unpack/setup mine this week :D

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
I was able to unpack and install my dual PB-2000 subwoofers yesterday. Here are my initial expressions without any extensive testing:

- Ran Audyssey calibration with one sub and then used a SPL meter to integrate the second sub manually by level matching both subs. Adjusted the phase on the second sub to almost 180 degrees and was able to gain 4-6 decibals more output using both subs in tandem.

- Definitely notice a more noticeable output and more defined slam with PB-2000s vs. my current dual PB-12 NSDs.

- Watched Tron Legacy blu-ray and was very happy with the way these dual PB-2000s performed.

So far it looks like the PB-2000s are well worth the extra $$$s (plus shipping cost back to SVS on my dual PB-12 NSD). I will post further comments later once I have a chance to run side-by-side tests between my PB-12 NSDs and PB-2000s.

usery

usery

Audioholic Intern
SVS PB-2000 is at top of my short list for a HT room upgrade - but there's a catch: sub must sit in a corner behind a solid wood room screen, with 4" opening at bottom from floor to room screen. There's more: all AV components are on a wooden easel stand in front of the wooden room screen. So there's a whole bunch of structural obstruction between sub placement and main listening position about 12' away. Is the PB-2000's front-firing design a suboptimal choice for placement like this? Should I be looking at down-firing designs, or would PB-2000's performance + spec + features easily overcome those room constraints?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis