SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Preview

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Just got off the phone with SVS and my PB-2000 will be shipping tomorrow and arrive Friday. Another Woo, Hoo here...

P

phmills

Audiophyte
I ended up getting my shipping notification for the SB-2000 earlier this afternoon. So here we go!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'm pretty sure I had one of the first PB12-NSD on order. Now the cool kids have the new and improved models headed their way. Enjoy; I'm jealous :)

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
PB2000 scheduled to arrive tomorrow(shipped today). I am only about 3 hours from SVS.

J

Jcharger13

Enthusiast
Ordered a sb2000 yesterday. Was told it'll be a day or two until it gets shipped out. I'm only about 3hrs from SVS also so hope it's here for the weekend! It'll be a fun weekend if so.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Got my shipping notice this morning so should have the PB-2000 Friday. I'll be sure to post my impressions and pics as soon as it comes in. Do the same guys!

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
Really looking forward to reading some impressions. I'm debating whether the extra $100 or so is worth it for me to get a SB 2000 vs. the SB12-NSD.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Just the wondering "if" would be worth $100 bucks to avoid. LOL...

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
I still haven't made a decision to trade up or not. I would have to eat the shipping costs both coming and going by trading up from 2 PB1000s, to 2 PB2000s. Maybe I should splurge and just do a real trade up to one SB13U. That way it gives me the choice to grab another one sometime later. I am going to wait until I read some real world impressions and or reviews on the new PBs before I make my move. Still have a few months until my one year trade up eligibility expires.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Really looking forward to reading some impressions. I'm debating whether the extra $100 or so is worth it for me to get a SB 2000 vs. the SB12-NSD.
I'd contact SVS to be sure, but you're definitely looking at greater lowend extension, and the extra power and new driver should net you additional output as well. As a current PB12-NSD owner, I would have jumped to the 2000 for $100 in a heartbeat. For a sub that will last you many years, I'd spend the $100.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I still haven't made a decision to trade up or not. I would have to eat the shipping costs both coming and going by trading up from 2 PB1000s, to 2 PB2000s. Maybe I should splurge and just do a real trade up to one SB13U. That way it gives me the choice to grab another one sometime later. I am going to wait until I read some real world impressions and or reviews on the new PBs before I make my move. Still have a few months until my one year trade up eligibility expires.
I'd personally take 2 x PB2000 over a single SB13U. The SB13U is a great sub, but dual ported is going to give you more even response across multiple seats, and depending on how well you can place them, may rival the single SB13u in output. Don't be afraid to contact SVS; they are very candid with how their subs will stack up with one another.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I have no doubt that it's worth it !

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
I'd personally take 2 x PB2000 over a single SB13U. The SB13U is a great sub, but dual ported is going to give you more even response across multiple seats, and depending on how well you can place them, may rival the single SB13u in output. Don't be afraid to contact SVS; they are very candid with how their subs will stack up with one another.
Marshall, yes Ed M. over at SVS was kind enough to give me his take on these new subwoofers. And I also have watched your well done video reviews on your PB12-NSD, as well as your SB13U video reviews. Anyway this is what Ed had to say...

ED: "Hi Ben -

Compared to the PB12-NSD, the PB-2000 has a different cabinet and finish, a new more powerful amp, and a new driver. In terms of actual performance difference, it has slightly deeper extension and 40% more max output from 25 Hz on-up.

The SB-2000 does indeed extend very deep, but it won't play as loud at the deepest frequencies as a larger ported subwoofer like the PB-1000, PB12-NSD or PB-2000. It's easy to confuse deep extension with max output at the deepest frequencies, but they are two different performance variables.

Dual PB-1000 is a very potent package! The SB13U would outgun a pair of PB-1000 in the mid/upper bass ranges, but would not exceed them in the 18-36 Hz octave (again the physics advantage of the much larger combined cabinet volume and dual 3.5" porting is very hard to beat). If you are looking for an upgrade across the board in terms of dynamic output capability, I recommend a pair of PB-2000. They will extend somewhat deeper and will have almost twice the max output of a pair of PB-1000 at all frequencies from 18-80 Hz."

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
I tried Dual PB-1000 and now ordered a single PB-2000. I'll certainly be able to remark on the difference. If necessary I'll order a second but either way I am surely going to be impressed and satisfied. Love having room for an upgrade!

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
Well, my PB2000 arrived thursday, and I boxed up my new PB12-NSD and returned it. Although I unfortunately do not have any nice in room measurements to share, I can only give my subjective impressions:

Low frequency extension. I seem to notice a clear improvement in low frequency extension. The best way I had to test this was with the song "Bass I Love You". This song has a 17Hz frequency that I assume my PB12 was able to play, as I was able to feel a strong shaking/rumble in my room/couch at the end of the bass line, but that I could not hear. Playing this song with the PB2000 placed in the same location, the low frequency inaudible rumble lasted noticeably longer than with the PB12.

As far as sound goes, I have the impression that the PB2000 is punchier sounding in the mid and upper base.

Output, I was unable to notice a difference. Not that there is not one, I am sure there is. But in my room, the way I listen, I never taxed the PB12's maximum capability.

To test the PB2000's output, I ran it several dB hot and cranked my AVR to zero on electronica and I never saw any indication that the limiter was kicking in. This is much louder than I ever listen to things, so I am satisfied with it in my 2600 cu. ft room with several openings to other rooms.

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Just got my pb-2000 and though I haven't listened to it yet, the box is mutilated and the seams of the cabinet are not even. Other than that the website states a frequency range of 17- 260 hz and the box says 18-150 hz. Not to complain but I'm a little upset at first impression. Have to let it warm up a bit before listening as it's -4 degrees here in Massachusetts. Any thoughts on the frequency range?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis