SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Preview

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
In the end I'm aiming to get assurance that shipping the Dual PB-1000's back for a single PB-2000 is a wise decision. I'll most likely get another 2000 down the road but SVS actually suggested I try one and see how it goes before buying two. I feel one in my condo will suffice!
you can't go wrong with a single first, and then a second if needed.

personally, i drew my (personal usage) minimum SQ standard at the NSD series :)

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
it was never a secret. my name was on SVS'es website from the get-go (til the site was revamped)

i have never spouted non-facts.

you on the other hand were spouting the imagined advantages of other subwoofers just to rip on SVS.

like i told you before, your conclusions are your subjective opinions which you always present as fact to newbies. that, cannot fly.

-0-

one more thing. there is nothing for me to benefit if SVS sells a lot on this forum or in the USA. there are no potential customers for me here.
Yup he certainly likes to cherry pick...;)

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
So... Shady rips on SVS here @ Audioholics and PSA @ AVS. Kudos to Mike C....let em' have it!!! Popcorn

C

ceetee

Audiophyte
i'll level match it to the other subs today. then i'll do some listening during the weekend.

if the "measurebators" in the other forum are correct, the difference with the PB12NSD should be very distinguishable.

vs. the PB1000, the NSD is already night and day with the 1000, on purely SQ and extension, not counting the SPL difference.
this is my first post and i just registered because of this thread. i a hoping to purchase a sub very soon and the SVS SB-2000 is on a very short list for me [Rythmik F12 being the other]. i can't wit to see your results, thanks!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Welcome. For a general idea on performance, take a look at the pb12 nsd review,

SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

And add 2hz low-end extension and 2-3 db max output above 25. This is per svs's expectations of how the sub will perform.

this is my first post and i just registered because of this thread. i a hoping to purchase a sub very soon and the SVS SB-2000 is on a very short list for me [Rythmik F12 being the other]. i can't wit to see your results, thanks!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
welcome to audioholics!

i've level matched them, i have a subwoofer switcher, but they are in different locations (see pic)

anyway, i've watched several scenes on both.

initial comments:
1) seems to hit harder than the pb12nsd, and i'm not talking about extension. the midbass seems fuller.
2) the PB12NSD sounds really quiet but shakes the room. the PB2000 does the shaking but includes a little bit of chest kick (almost sounds sealed-like)

P

phmills

Audiophyte
I purchased the SB12-NSD at the start of the year (my first sub from SVS) and have been enjoying it greatly for the last couple weeks. Upon hearing the announcement of the new 2000 series, I went ahead and requested an RMA and ordered the SB-2000 since I was still under my 45 day trial. Hopefully it will pay off; I'm a bit nervous with it being a new and virtually untested product (publicly at least) but I'll try to let you guys know my thoughts when I have time to test it out! The customer service rep I spoke to said they plan to begin shipping next Monday. I hope it arrives next week...

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
New, yes. But untested...I'm sure SVS tested the heck out of it. Sure, it's always nice to have it run through the paces by an outside independent, but I wouldn't have a 2nd thought about your purchase given SVS's track record. Let us know what you think when it arrives.

I purchased the SB12-NSD at the start of the year (my first sub from SVS) and have been enjoying it greatly for the last couple weeks. Upon hearing the announcement of the new 2000 series, I went ahead and requested an RMA and ordered the SB-2000 since I was still under my 45 day trial. Hopefully it will pay off; I'm a bit nervous with it being a new and virtually untested product (publicly at least) but I'll try to let you guys know my thoughts when I have time to test it out! The customer service rep I spoke to said they plan to begin shipping next Monday. I hope it arrives next week...

P

phmills

Audiophyte
Oh yes, I have no doubt that they tested it thoroughly. SVS does have a very good reputation from what I understand. It's just that you often hear about little problems and such when the masses of consumers get their hands on new products. I'm still greatly looking forward to it and will report back (hopefully with great news)!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Looking forward to hear about your experiences with the SB-2000 :p

A

AshEvans

Audiophyte
Looking forward to hear about your experiences with the SB-2000 :p
I am still in my 45 day trial of the PC12-NSD. I ordered the new PB-2000 today and hope to do a side by side comparison next weekend.

I have an 2.1 system: Outlaw Audio RR2150, Klipsch RB-81ii; I am very happy with the PC12, but I understand the PB-2000 should be quite an upgrade (at least on paper).

P

pcsolutionz

Audioholic Intern
Starting the count down the days myself for the PB-2000 to arrive. Psyched!

SaviorMachine

SaviorMachine

Enthusiast
Wow, every time I look away from the business for a few months, somebody drops another bombshell. What's the relationship between SB12-NSD and SB2000, or between PB12-NSD and PB2000? Is there anywhere we can check out the new drivers?

F

FiremanFrank

Audiophyte
I am also awaiting a SVS sub, the PB-2000. Has anyone received one yet? I was told mine would be shipping either Monday or Tuesday.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
Pb-2000 pb12-nsd sb2000

I am also thinking about trading up to a pair of PB-2000s. I've owned a pair of PB-1000's for about 4 months now, and I think they are great. However the thought of dual PB-2000 is on my mind. So I posed some questions to Ed over at SVS. I wanted to get his take on the differences between the PB12-NSD, and the new PB-2000, SB-2000 and even the SB13 ultra. Below are my question(s) and Ed's answer.

Me: "Other than power differences in the amplifier section how does the new PB-2000 differ from the PB12-NSD? Both use 12 inch drivers but aren't the drivers basically made of the same material, and play the same? As for the SB-2000 does it really go as low as the PB-1000 which I already own (duals). I don't have any experience with sealed designs. How do these compare to the SB13 Ultra? Any information you can give me is much appreciated."

ED: "Hi Ben -

Compared to the PB12-NSD, the PB-2000 has a different cabinet and finish, a new more powerful amp, and a new driver. In terms of actual performance difference, it has slightly deeper extension and 40% more max output from 25 Hz on-up.

The SB-2000 does indeed extend very deep, but it won't play as loud at the deepest frequencies as a larger ported subwoofer like the PB-1000, PB12-NSD or PB-2000. It's easy to confuse deep extension with max output at the deepest frequencies, but they are two different performance variables.

Dual PB-1000 is a very potent package! The SB13U would outgun a pair of PB-1000 in the mid/upper bass ranges, but would not exceed them in the 18-36 Hz octave (again the physics advantage of the much larger combined cabinet volume and dual 3.5" porting is very hard to beat). If you are looking for an upgrade across the board in terms of dynamic output capability, I recommend a pair of PB-2000. They will extend somewhat deeper and will have almost twice the max output of a pair of PB-1000 at all frequencies from 18-80 Hz."

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
Also heard that they are not shipping any of the 2000 series subwoofers until the end of this week sometime. Thought that maybe some would be shipped today (Monday Jan 20th) but who knows for sure. Guess we won't find out until someone actually gets one and posts it here.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Are you close to maxing out the dual drive pb1000's? If you are not and they sound good, I am not sure an upgrade would be worth it, kind of seems like a "baby steps", you have a nice set up now, and to spend another $600 or so {if you got full value for your pb1K's, even "trade up" will cost you shipping of all 4 subs}.... for a little more I would jump up to a vtf3 dual drive... VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive Package ....

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
You are right about the shipping costs. However, I haven't yet decided what I am going to do. Maybe I'll just get another PB-1000 to put in the back of the room. I love that they can be moved around so easily.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
In terms of SQ how do the new drivers compare to the "plus" or better yet the "ultra" series. Some speculation has them rumored to be on par or very close to the higher end & more expensive models? Having owned the PB Nsd drive unit...I can say unequivocally they're not a match in terms of SQ vs. the ultra drivers.

If I were to take a single SB2000 how would it stack up vs. SB13U? How does one define close in $$$.

P

phmills

Audiophyte
Update: Haven't gotten a shipping notification for the SB-2000 I ordered last week yet but I'll keep you guys posted. Was told shipping was expected early this week so we'll see!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis