SVS PB-2000 and SB-2000 Subwoofers Preview

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
SVS PB-2000 is at top of my short list for a HT room upgrade - but there's a catch: sub must sit in a corner behind a solid wood room screen, with 4" opening at bottom from floor to room screen. There's more: all AV components are on a wooden easel stand in front of the wooden room screen. So there's a whole bunch of structural obstruction between sub placement and main listening position about 12' away. Is the PB-2000's front-firing design a suboptimal choice for placement like this? Should I be looking at down-firing designs, or would PB-2000's performance + spec + features easily overcome those room constraints?
A simple wooden screen should not provide meaningful attenuation on low frequencies. The effect will likely not be audible, unless the sub starts shaking your screen.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
Hello all! New to this forum, but have been reading for a while.

I am interested in SB-2000's performance and how it compares with Sb-13 Ultra. In particular, I am interested in its articulation, response time, musicality and extension.

I own the SB-13 Ultra, and while it's a great sub for 30 Hz and above, it rolls off quickly below that and stops outputting completely below 17 Hz at any volume setting. I love its musicality and ability to blend seamlessly and disappear, but the extension in my 3100 cubic ft room leaves a lot to be desired. So, for the same money I could now own a pair of SB-2000's.

Whenever you guys have time, could you please comment on SB-2000? Thanks!

Last edited:
T

thecloneranger

Audiophyte
hi guys new to the forum here. anyway i have a problem i hope someone here can help me with. but first my setup:

samsung 55 led 3d tv
onkyo 818
dv64 bic tower speakers
polk audio center speaker
4 rear onkyo speakers
ps4(blu ray player)
and just recieved today thru fed ex svs pb2000

and there is where my problem lies. im very excited read all positive reviews about this beast go and hook it up and...underwhelmed. prior to this i used a polk audio subwoofer pvs i think it was and it was way deeper than what this sub is putting out. now i know this has to be to the way i have the sub setup since the svs is rated way higher than this. but after today messing with the sub im ready to send it back! i know i have 45 days so can someone tell me the proper setup for this setup. right now i have the lowpass frequency knob set around 80. ran audyssey when i hooked it up and it set it at 120hz. svs says to set the knob to LFE. but it sounds real weak at that setting.i also know that finding the sweet spot for the sub makes alot of difference as how the sub sounds but i have the only option of putting it in a corner.ive been listening to music that people have recommended to demo out the sub but i am very disappointed so far. maybe i shouldnt have got ported maybe the sealed woofer is better for my situation. by the way my room is 15x15x10 so its not a big room. i really wanted to love this subwoofer but im really tempted to send it packing. also i plan on calling svs support over the weekend since i took today off work to be home to recieve the sub. but in the meantime maybe u guys could give me suggestions thanks

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
hi guys new to the forum here. anyway i have a problem i hope someone here can help me with. but first my setup:

samsung 55 led 3d tv
onkyo 818
dv64 bic tower speakers
4 rear onkyo speakers
ps4(blu ray player)

and there is where my problem lies. im very excited read all positive reviews about this beast go and hook it up and...underwhelmed. prior to this i used a polk audio subwoofer pvs i think it was and it was way deeper than what this sub is putting out. now i know this has to be to the way i have the sub setup since the svs is rated way higher than this. but after today messing with the sub im ready to send it back! i know i have 45 days so can someone tell me the proper setup for this setup. right now i have the lowpass frequency knob set around 80. ran audyssey when i hooked it up and it set it at 120hz. svs says to set the knob to LFE. but it sounds real weak at that setting.i also know that finding the sweet spot for the sub makes alot of difference as how the sub sounds but i have the only option of putting it in a corner.ive been listening to music that people have recommended to demo out the sub but i am very disappointed so far. maybe i shouldnt have got ported maybe the sealed woofer is better for my situation. by the way my room is 15x15x10 so its not a big room. i really wanted to love this subwoofer but im really tempted to send it packing. also i plan on calling svs support over the weekend since i took today off work to be home to recieve the sub. but in the meantime maybe u guys could give me suggestions thanks
Cloneranger, I STRONGLY request you to work with someone at SVS before you pack/send it back. Seems like you are not calibrating the sub properly.

If your receiver has bass management built-in (seems like it does since you have Audyssey) then your sub low pass xover should be set at LFE. Within your receiver, your speakers should be set to SMALL and your crossover for center and mains should be at 80hz. Your LFE crossover can be 120hz or higher. If you have access to a sound level meter then verify that your sub's level is at least same as ur speakers level (test it using test tone feature) - generally around 75 decibals. Anyone at SVS can help you run through these steps over the phone hence work with them before you give up on this sub. Good luck!

J

Jcharger13

Enthusiast
I can tell you a little about the SB2000. Have had one for a week and a half or so.

This sub digs to 19hz just like svs says it does. Very good low sub bass response. I'm having a little more problems with higher frequencies 40-80ish. Getting a 15db drop from 30-70 at my listening position with only the sub playing (using REW any minidsp UMik). Only the sub is playing to eliminate phase issues, low pass @ 120hz 4th order (for testing purposes). Sub is not in a corner and am working with SVS on this for a solution.

I'm sure my issues are due to sub placement and room dimensions. Not the sub itself, thinking a mini dsp should help tame the low end. My AVR (yamaha 730) doesn't have eq capability for the subwoofer.

Funny thing is before I ran a sub that didn't play this low and had no issues because there was no bottom end. Lol. Always something.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I as getting ready to purchase a new sub, Im really on the fence of getting 2 of these or a single a pc or pb13 ultra
the pb2000 seems like a fantastic value.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
I as getting ready to purchase a new sub, Im really on the fence of getting 2 of these or a single a pc or pb13 ultra
the pb2000 seems like a fantastic value.
You can also get duals PB-2000s and PB 13 Ultra together and audition both options at home side by side. SVS will take one of the ordered choices back within 45 days. Thats the best way to listen them in your own listening room and compare A/B choices. This is what I ended up doing myself. Only downside is your credit card is tied up with two transactions temporarily until you decide which one to return and then a refund is applied.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
Would 3 pb1000s be better than two Pb2000s? Just a thought.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Would 3 pb1000s be better than two Pb2000s? Just a thought.
I read somewhere that usually multiple subs give you a smoother response with even number combinations (2 or 4 vs 3). It may also depend on the layout of your room. The even number option works well for a rectangular enclosed listening area.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I read somewhere that usually multiple subs give you a smoother response with even number combinations (2 or 4 vs 3). It may also depend on the layout of your room. The even number option works well for a rectangular enclosed listening area.
It was the Welti/Toole white paper from Harman.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
You can also get duals PB-2000s and PB 13 Ultra together and audition both options at home side by side. SVS will take one of the ordered choices back within 45 days. Thats the best way to listen them in your own listening room and compare A/B choices. This is what I ended up doing myself. Only downside is your credit card is tied up with two transactions temporarily until you decide which one to return and then a refund is applied.

Though I like your thought on this, no doubt my credit card would rebel, followed soon after by my wife.

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
Though I like your thought on this, no doubt my credit card would rebel, followed soon after by my wife.
Mikey D, if two credit card transactions (knowing one will be refunded later) are manageable then I highly recommend ordering both options you are considering. When I was comparing my duals vs a more powerful single sub, I asked couple of my friends to come over and they grabbed different seats in my HT while I ran the options A/B tests playing same bass heavy movie scenes via my system. This way we were pretty sure which option sounded better in my very own listening room. After all that is what matters the most at the end :)

SVS cust service is awesome and they will gladly take the other subs (or sub) back as long as you stay within their 45 day return window.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Your wife would rebel due to financial constraints or space constraints? :p

B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic

samsung 55 led 3d tv
onkyo 818
dv64 bic tower speakers
4 rear onkyo speakers
ps4(blu ray player)

Audyssey and YPAO tend to set subwoofer levels on the low side, so after calibrating, just try adding a few dB of gain to the sub and see how it sounds to you. Also, whats important to remember is that you have gotten used to how your cheap sub sounds. Cheap subs often have a bloated mid bass response. Going to an accurate sub like SVS, with a flat frequency response could be one of the reasons it does not sound right to you....it won't have the exagerated mid bass boost of a cheaper sub.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
I am really having a hard time deciding. I bought dual PB1000's but I really want to try the dual SB2000's. I listen to music and movies about the same, hoping the new driver and more powerfull amp will be as good as the PB1000's and go ALMOST as low. They sound great but how will I ever know if I don't try the sealed..... other than more money and a return shipping cost.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
AJC71 Depends on your space. Call SVS and they will advise you well and won't try to sell you anything unless you need it in the required space.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
AJC71 Depends on your space. Call SVS and they will advise you well and won't try to sell you anything unless you need it in the required space.
My room is 14x18.they said the pb1000's but seeing the new sb2000 has the new Amp I thought it would have more punch and go as low as the pb1000. I like feeling bass not just hearing it

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
If your ceilings are standard height, you might be tapping into some room gain. I'd like to know myself how low do these new SB-2000s go.

A

AJC71

Audiophyte
If your ceilings are standard height, you might be tapping into some room gain. I'd like to know myself how low do these new SB-2000s go.
Am I reading these graphs right ? It looks like the sealed doesn't roll off as quick as the ported and seams to keep the dB reading higher as well as it starts to roll off. So does this mean the sealed ( although may not go as low ) will keep it's dB level higher down to 20 and below Hz ?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Am I reading these graphs right ? It looks like the sealed doesn't roll off as quick as the ported and seams to keep the dB reading higher as well as it starts to roll off. So does this mean the sealed ( although may not go as low ) will keep it's dB level higher down to 20 and below Hz ?
If you are referring to the graphs on the svs website, those do not represent max output. As for the roll off, yes, that is typical sealed sub behavior.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis