SVS big price increases!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
What's really surprising is that this thread hasn't been framed in lovely red bars yet, considering pretty much every post since near the end pg 8 ends with SVS being cussed, cursed, and blamed for the worlds problems....

Hmmm... Whoever came up with that shtick deserves a pat on the back. :p :D :D
Well, that was an interesting 4 pages. :D

Do you think this will spill over to the parts supply chain in the U.S.? I'm almost tempted to get some drivers now for a DIY build before Meniscus increases prices, but I'm probably months away from having enough free time to start a big project like that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Do you think this will spill over to the parts supply chain in the U.S.? I'm almost tempted to get some drivers now for a DIY build before Meniscus increases prices, but I'm probably months away from having enough free time to start a big project like that.
There's no time like the present to stockpile drivers you may never use! :)

For example, if you want to build some mighty Subs, you should really pre order the Stereo Integrity HT 18v3 drivers available now. These look like they should outperform the UM-18 Ultimax from Dayton in just about every metric except possibly low extension. The dayton may have a slight edge on this, but dollar for dollar performance goes to Nick at Stereo Integrity.
I'm really toying with ordering a pair to play with.

Oh, and toward my earlier point, I'm sitting on 2 pair of Zaph Audio mid woofs and a pair of Transducer Lab Be Tweets. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I'm thinking that sooner or later everything is going to take a hit on this price increase so if you can get some purchases now instead of later Im thinking it's a good move

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There's no time like the present to stockpile drivers you may never use! :)

For example, if you want to build some mighty Subs, you should really pre order the Stereo Integrity HT 18v3 drivers available now. These look like they should outperform the UM-18 Ultimax from Dayton in just about every metric except possibly low extension. The dayton may have a slight edge on this, but dollar for dollar performance goes to Nick at Stereo Integrity.
I'm really toying with ordering a pair to play with.

Oh, and toward my earlier point, I'm sitting on 2 pair of Zaph Audio mid woofs and a pair of Transducer Lab Be Tweets. ;)
Don't let my wife see that post! :D

Still trying to decide whether to go with a high end tower like the Enthraal or Statements II or a Toels Gravesen design, or just keep it simple and build a BMR. Enthraals might be too big anyway but the Statements II kit and BMR is about the same cost and would fit my space.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't let my wife see that post! :D

Still trying to decide whether to go with a high end tower like the Enthraal or Statements II or a Toels Gravesen design, or just keep it simple and build a BMR. Enthraals might be too big anyway but the Statements II kit and BMR is about the same cost and would fit my space.
Man, a pair of BMRs would work really nice in your room.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think a pair of BMR's would work just about anywhere. Is he still selling them?
Yes... Kits through Meniscus and flatpacks throu Speaker Hardware, and also finished Speakers from Philharmonic Audio.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Maybe I'm just slow to the news but I was just on the SVS website and holy cow the prices on every speaker and sub is going on by a lot. The Prime Elevation I noticed 50 bucks each and was like, OK huh. Them I checked the Ultra Bookshelf and that is going up 100 bucks each, you are talking 1,200 bucks for a pair of bookshelf speakers when it was 999.99. The Prime Pinnacle is going up to 899.99 each, that is pretty pricey too but the biggest gains are the subs, the PB-2000 Pro I bought last spring is going up to 1,099.99! o_O That is way too high, the new PB-1000 Pro is going up to 799.99. I think they pricing themselves out of a lot of budgets. I mean I could see 50 bucks on everything but 200 bucks on every sub, 100 bucks on some speakers and 50 bucks on some. At 1,099.99 for the PB-2000 Pro I would not even have looked twice at at, too much for me.
Inflation baby, it's the new normal.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
My Pb 1000’s are built in China as are there other lines I believe and Iam not sure on there cables I would assume they are China made aswell. There rca plugs look rather generic on them .

Not saying there stuff is not well built cause it is really well built . I’ve not used there cables in any capacity but the subs are very good. I usually make my own cables or out source them from Europe better selection and better workmen ship .
Except the amps go out right at the time warranty expires.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I wouldn't argue with diy at all but for cheaper consumer electronics (and consumers love cheap) I think you're off fantasizing about the little impact audiophilia has in general. Moving consumer electronics manufacturing in a big way back to the US (let alone England) will need a major shift in economies of scale and is not likely.
Corporate America sold the American people out.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So did the American consumer by buying the stuff....kinda a hoist by one's own petard type deal.
Yep, that's why the American people are in historic-level debt. With that being said, Corporate America sent manufacturing jobs overseas for cheap labor. That's we don't have anything being made in the USA anymore, SVS is doing what everyone else does, which is maximize profit, cheap labor, and expensive goods.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Man, a pair of BMRs would work really nice in your room.
Yeah, I'm kind'a leaning in that direction. It's a bit tricky with the sealed enclosure for the mid, but otherwise not too complex a build and a great speaker. I really want to hear what a RAAL tweeter can do. The Statements are nice but require shipping 10 drivers! I like the look of the curved BMRs but not sure if that cabinet design is in the public domain. If I go to Capital Audio Fest the land border may still be closed to non-essential traffic, so I would have to fly. No driving back with any Phils. ;_;

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I'm kind'a leaning in that direction. It's a bit tricky with the sealed enclosure for the mid, but otherwise not too complex a build and a great speaker. I really want to hear what a RAAL tweeter can do. The Statements are nice but require shipping 10 drivers! I like the look of the curved BMRs but not sure if that cabinet design is in the public domain. If I go to Capital Audio Fest the land border may still be closed to non-essential traffic, so I would have to fly. No driving back with any Phils. ;_;
No, the curved cabinets are order only through Dennis and company… but the flat packs from speaker hardware look pretty easy to assemble.
Without that, the mid enclosure and the routing for the BMR driver are indeed what present the challenges.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis