Surround on a tight budget (edited thread name)

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Phew. We have a saying that goes "you can't get steak on a hamburger budget". This case is more like trying to get hamburger on a dried beans and rice budget... I'm not picking on you. Wish you had better choices.
i mean, you're not wrong, but it's not like my whole thing is a mess, i got a 75 inch 4k samsung tv, but had been using tv speakers for cllose to 2 years now, cause well, they're sufficient for the person that uses the TV the most, that being my dad, but i kinda got tired of the tv speakers, and decided to do something, i'm doing all i can in my budget, lmao

(The tv ain't of much use for good 4k content on its own tho, it won't play 60 mbps files or higher, even on cable)

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Yeah you could just snip the connector off for connection to your receiver. Just keep polarity in mind (and they have differentiation on the insulation to help with that).
you sure?
like, i don't wanna truck that up, are you sure those are just regular speaker wires?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
you know i need a controller for that, and well, i hope some repair shop has one that happens to work, if not, well
I forgot where that left off actually. There are programmable remotes out there, or at least here, and there's probably someone out there with the necessary IR codes....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
you sure?
like, i don't wanna truck that up, are you sure those are just regular speaker wires?
Do you need the receiver that those connect into? Or to use the speakers again with that receiver?

If you aren't using that receiver, they're just speaker wires with funky connectors at the ends.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I forgot where that left off actually. There are programmable remotes out there, or at least here, and there's probably someone out there with the necessary IR codes....
i mean, my cable box tv remote can control the power and volume, but that's a very specific command

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i mean, you're not wrong, but it's not like my whole thing is a mess, i got a 75 inch 4k samsung tv, but had been using tv speakers for cllose to 2 years now, cause well, they're sufficient for the person that uses the TV the most, that being my dad, but i kinda got tired of the tv speakers, and decided to do something, i'm doing all i can in my budget, lmao
We do what we can do with what we have, I understand. I agree with HD. It does look like you could just snip the ends and strip the wires back a bit and make it work. Good luck!

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Do you need the receiver that those connect into? Or to use the speakers again with that receiver?

If you aren't using that receiver, they're just speaker wires with funky connectors at the ends.
well, yeah, those are a part of a mini system, aka, funky looking stereo system,
1619481422792.png

you get where the asthetic come from,
was hopping i could use the speakers on my receiver tho

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i mean, my cable box tv remote can control the power and volume, but that's a very specific command
Some cable box remotes can handle more than those functions with the correct codes. There are some very inexpensive programmable remotes here, like $15 last I looked, don't know about there....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
have any of you ever seen that connetion, so i cans earch the name or something, they are pretty prevalent, even on home theaters setups it seems, juding by the pics i saw, tho, they are usually colored for the surround speakers, like, green or yellow

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Some cable box remotes can handle more than those functions with the correct codes. There are some very inexpensive programmable remotes here, like $15 last I looked, don't know about there....
well, i'd believe a decent repair shop would have one of those

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i'm taking my stuff to test the sub any way, i can't figure it out on my own, it might be something on the remote any way

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well, yeah, those are a part of a mini system, aka, funky looking stereo system, View attachment 47084
you get where the asthetic come from,
was hopping i could use the speakers on my receiver tho
You could leave enough lead sticking out of the connectors to allow easy re-splicing of the wires when you want to use the minisystem again. You can always add speaker wire to the length from the speakers (do the speakers have connectors on them or do the wires disappear into the cabinets?).

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
You could leave enough lead sticking out of the connectors to allow easy re-splicing of the wires when you want to use the minisystem again. You can always add speaker wire to the length from the speakers (do the speakers have connectors on them or do the wires disappear into the cabinets?).
they disappear into the cabinets

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
and it's not like i plan to ever use them in a mini system again

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
and, how to connect them is hardly the problem, i'm just skeptical about potential roadblocks before that, or after, if something ends up failing fataly

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
they look liek that from the back
9ed837b39b294651802b3baf6f3ba291-min.jpg

the one on the right is a passive sub, won't be using that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then why worry about snipping the connectors off? Altho for wire stripping I'd recommend a tool like this one (altho this is a fairly nice one, there are cheaper brands).

They're likely proprietary to Sony, I don't recognize them, they are not typical of anything but HTIB type stuff, not true audio componentry (your Sony receiver has no such thing,, eh?).

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Then why worry about snipping the connectors off? Altho for wire stripping I'd recommend a tool like this one (altho this is a fairly nice one, there are cheaper brands).

They're likely proprietary to Sony, I don't recognize them, they are not typical of anything but HTIB type stuff, not true audio componentry (your Sony receiver has no such thing,, eh?).
truck, if they are propietary, will they probly work or not
Also, i only know truehd, with true in the name regarding audio, but i don't believe that's it rught

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Also, I'm not worried about snipping the connector, I'm gonna have to add extra wire for the whole length of the run anyway, i can also strip cable with just scissors fairly well as well, so that's a non-issue

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
truck, if they are propietary, will they probly work or not
Also, i only know truehd, with true in the name regarding audio, but i don't believe that's it rught
I'd just doubt you can find them on their own is all, at least not without some technical specification that if other brands utilized that it may be known by at the wholesale level or something....just doubt they're available as a consumer purchase generally.

I just meant that in the general world of audio components used in higher fidelity audio systems, like your Sony receiver, have no use for such proprietary connectors but rather used more generalized ones that many components share or can use or adapt to. TrueHD is a Dolby lossless codec. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis