Surround on a tight budget (edited thread name)

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone, here for my third inquire, gonna state this again, I'm no all knowing audiophile, even if I take interest in the hobby, that said, I'm looking for a pair of back surround speakers in a budget, and was giving the used market a look.
That said our used market here in brazil kinda sucks, you either get really cheapo stuff, like, really finicky looking 3 ohms, almost office desktop speaker looking systems, or kid range pretty expensive (mostly all the time sony) system, and i really just want something to try 5.1 out.
Bottom line, most of the stuff that looks any decent on out used market are part of mini systems, came across an interesting one, 5 ohms, and a interesting looking speaker compared to others in its class, (not that that reflect quality, if it doesn't in this case, pls give me a heads up) but, it uses this specific connector instead of speaker wire, what I wonder is, if a mod is simple (perhaps as simple as cutting the leads) or if it ain't possible.
Again, never heard of anyone doing this, but it won't hurt to ask, if it's possible, perhaps i can get something decent for the same money as those cheapo looking systems (only the stereo pair).

Attachments

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Should mention my front speakers are 6 ohms, and my receiver has a 4 - 8 ohm switch, currently using 4

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
judging by the views to answers ratio, i realize i probably asked something really stupid, but even if the connectors look like speaker wires with plastic terminators, i'd still like to make sure before shelling out money, even more, know if those things are worth any money

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think it's stupid so much as a little confusing. The speakers you're asking about look like part of a proprietary HTIB setup, and not really a great one either. I wouldn't want those speakers for anything, and that's likely why no one else is replying. It might be more helpful if you were to give us an idea of what else is available to you and we could help you pick a better option than those particular speakers.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I don't think it's stupid so much as a little confusing. The speakers you're asking about look like part of a proprietary HTIB setup, and not really a great one either. I wouldn't want those speakers for anything, and that's likely why no one else is replying. It might be more helpful if you were to give us an idea of what else is available to you and we could help you pick a better option than those particular speakers.
I'M REALLY SORRY FOR THE CONFUSIO
Here are some that are in my budget, perhaps this photos aren't enough info, but some of them don't have their info listed, so I'd have to go asking around every seller, i got the description for some, but if you find any of these interesting, just point it out and i can grab more info

1° one: double my budget, but they look the best, and probly would look the least janky in my current setup, i can try to work out something with the seller, since i really only need 2 speakers, but, if any of the rest don't look nearly as decent, i can make a 2nd zone music area or something with the remaining ones, tho, I'd like to avoid it
20210426_142215.jpg

2°no comment
20210426_142234.jpg

3°this might be a part of those mini system thingies as well, but i can't be sure, i tried to contact the seller, still waiting a response.
20210426_142254.jpg

4°these also look like they are all a part of a mini system, so
20210426_142319.jpg

5° seller is a bit of a short temper one, I've asked info, but he just kinda gave up on understanding, i can try again tho
20210426_142335.jpg

6° no comm.ent
20210426_142351.jpg

7° no comment
20210426_142410.jpg

I KNOW these all look real cheap and poop, but again, i just need 2 surround speakers

I mentioned it before, but my main speakers are 6 ohms speakers, so i leave my receiver on 4, so depending on the rating of some of these they might be no good any way

Btw, those tower ones are being sold for around 100 dollars US, so you have a reference

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry, but without more information on those choices there isn't much we can offer. Like brand names and models for instance. I can't tell from those images what speakers any of those are.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I have model number on the 6th and 2nd
2nd: ss-ts102 sony
6th: ssct71 sony
5th:
Screenshot_20210426-154146_OLX.jpg

All i got
The other are still tbd

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have model number on the 6th and 2nd
2nd: ss-ts102 sony
6th: ssct71 sony
5th:
View attachment 47054
All i got
The other are still tbd
Yeah, I've never heard of those Vicini speakers before. What's with all of the 3 and 4 ohm speakers?? Not very amplifier friendly. Both of those Sony's are 3 ohm speakers and the rest are a mystery. I'm feeling for you with the lack of choices down there. These ones right here...

20210426_142410.jpg

If they're Miller and Kreisel might be worth a shot but I can't tell what they are.

What about new? Is your budget around $100? Any stores in your area? How about ordering online? $100 should be able to get you a pair of new surround speakers that would be better than what you're finding used.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I've never heard of those Vicini speakers before. What's with all of the 3 and 4 ohm speakers?? Not very amplifier friendly. Both of those Sony's are 3 ohm speakers and the rest are a mystery. I'm feeling for you with the lack of choices down there. These ones right here...

View attachment 47055

If they're Miller and Kreisel might be worth a shot but I can't tell what they are.

What about new? Is your budget around $100? Any stores in your area? How about ordering online? $100 should be able to get you a pair of new surround speakers that would be better than what you're finding used.
100 is double my budget, i was willing to do it, for those thin tower speakers, since they would integrated a bit nicer on my current system, and i could use the remaining ones on my "backward" don't really know how to call it, but it's not wide open , but still, 50 is already a bit pushy, but it can be done

Those tower speakers are philips btw, still waiting on the model number
Btw those black and yellow ones were sold

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Update
Looked for new ones, the ones at 30 to 50 bucks didn't look any better than those, and looked fairly old anyway, as for a complete system, the cheapest ones were 250 to 300

I say cheapest ones, but most sites only had 2 options, one expensive af, and the other not so expensive, but 250 dollars still

Biggest media directed retailer
Screenshot_20210426-173237_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-173346_Chrome.jpg

At least their site had their poop well organized, the other retailer had the filters all jumbled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to using the 4 ohm setting on your receiver, please read this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

If you are going for a 5.1 system you're adding surrounds, not rear surrounds.

Yes, pictures without make/model aren't much help. There are more suitable Sony SS Core series speakers (like perhaps CS-5), what's available new in this series? They're fairly widely distributed from what I've seen.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
As to using the 4 ohm setting on your receiver, please read this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

Yes, pictures without make/model aren't much help. There are more suitable Sony SS Core series speakers (like perhaps CS-5), what's available new in this series? They're fairly widely distributed from what I've seen.
i mean, if they are saying to leave it on 8 ohms, then, i'll leave it there, but he mentioned that it will probly make the receiver heat up more, if it doesn't doubles down, considring the powerhouse that my receiver apparently is, i doubt it doesn't, but it gets pretty hot to the touch as is, dunno if it's wierd for receivers to get hot to the touch were, it isn't something that will hurt, but it's uncorfortable if you leave you arm above.
considering how big a hunch of metal it is

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic

those ss core speakers, well, they are my mains, lmao, at least one model of that family, guess if they are a good price the family will be united, if only the used market were better, i could probly just search for them and find one.
as if that would ever happen
update: kinda sad, they were actually a good price, but i can only find sold listings, and they aren't recent

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The lower ohm settings are more about the manufacturer passing certain electrical use standards rather than providing the most juice for your speakers. Some avrs do run warm (or in warmer environments), or aren't provided sufficient space/ventilation and in those cases would suggest external cooling to help extend the life of the receiver (I do this on a few of my receivers).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
those ss core speakers, well, they are my mains, lmao, at least one model of that family, guess if they are a good price the family will united, if only the used market were better, i could probly just search for them and find one.
as if that would ever happen
Well it is nice to have the same speaker all around if you can....altho more for multich music than movies IME. Surrounds aren't as important but didn't know what your mains were either. For surrounds they don't have to be up the CS-5, that was just the only speaker I saw mentioned of that series in a quick search for such use.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic

also this one is a ss series one
1619474256643.png

i realize i'm making a mess out of the thread, but well, i just started realizing stuff

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Well it is nice to have the same speaker all around if you can....altho more for multich music than movies IME. Surrounds aren't as important but didn't know what your mains were either. For surrounds they don't have to be up the CS-5, that was just the only speaker I saw mentioned of that series in a quick search for such use.
those cs-5 ones are essentially a bit over my budget, for a single one

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
The lower ohm settings are more about the manufacturer passing certain electrical use standards rather than providing the most juice for your speakers. Some avrs do run warm (or in warmer environments), or aren't provided sufficient space/ventilation and in those cases would suggest external cooling to help extend the life of the receiver (I do this on a few of my receivers).
although mine is not wide in the open, it has adequate airflow i would say

------------> next page

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
although mine is not wide in the open, it has adequate airflow i would say
Hard to know without specifics as to just what that means....but usually they need a foot or so space above them to start....just a thought for consideration since you said it was hot to the touch (but a specific temperature might say more).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis