Surround on a tight budget (edited thread name)

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Hard to know without specifics as to just what that means....but usually they need a foot or so space above them to start....just a thought for consideration since you said it was hot to the touch (but a specific temperature might say more).
Looks fairly well ventilated to me

Attachments

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Also, now that you know i just want surround speakers, do any of the ones, with model number or not, that i sent, look any worthwhile

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks fairly well ventilated to me
Not particularly to me, I prefer open rack style mounting with at least a foot above. Your manual only indicates "Do not install the appliance in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet". What kind of temps does the case reach? Keep in mind adding cooling is a bit of life insurance as well in just keeping temperatures down. YMMV, tho....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Not particularly to me, I prefer open rack style mounting with at least a foot above. Your manual only indicates "Do not install the appliance in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet". What kind of temps does the case reach? Keep in mind adding cooling is a bit of life insurance as well in just keeping temperatures down. YMMV, tho....
i don't have eqiuipment to check temperature acurately, lmao, due to the 2nd zone issue. it doesn't actually fully cools down either, so

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i don't have eqiuipment to check temperature acurately, lmao, due to the 2nd zone issue. it doesn't actually fulllly cools down either, so
LOL I forgot about your remote/zone 2 thing. Even more reason to just pop a little fan on there for now. I use a laser thermometer in my kitchen mostly, but sure comes in handy for other things, like this :). Nothing to measure temperature with? Think even phones can do it these days....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
LOL I forgot about your remote/zone 2 thing. Even more reason to just pop a little fan on there for now. I use a laser thermometer in my kitchen mostly, but sure comes in handy for other things, like this :). Nothing to measure temperature with? Think even phones can do it these days....
i only saw phones doing it with extra hardware, lmao

what about the surround speakers, since they are less importasnt, are any of those decent enough? for the budget obviously, the confortable spot for the budget is 20 - 40

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i only saw phones doing it with extra hardware, lmao

what about the surround speakers, since they are less importasnt, are any of those decent enough? for the budget obviously, the comfortable spot for the budget is 20 - 40
I'd just prefer not to use 3 ohm speakers (I wouldn't even particularly want 4 ohm rated ones).....and, if they're rated at 3 they undoubtedly dip lower than that. With modest volume/content probably fine and your avr has a decent amp section. I'm spoiled tho, I probably have 4 pairs of speakers on hand right now not in use that are better for surrounds than those you've specified so far (unless I missed other than the two HTIB type Sony SS models).

I did have a free app on one phone that was like a mini weather station and would think if the phone were placed on top of the unit that would be close enough for a temp reading.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'd just prefer not to use 3 ohm speakers (I wouldn't even particularly want 4 ohm rated ones).....and, if they're rated at 3 they undoubtedly dip lower than that. With modest volume/content probably fine and your avr has a decent amp section. I'm spoiled tho, I probably have 4 pairs of speakers on hand right now not in use that are better for surrounds than those you've specified so far (unless I missed other than the two HTIB type Sony SS models).

I did have a free app on one phone that was like a mini weather station and would think if the phone were placed on top of the unit that would be close enough for a temp reading.
there were also these ones ss-ts102 sony
but they are also 3 ohms

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
and then going back to these, these are 5 ohms speakers, i just don't know if they would even work in this application, or if they are worth the 30 bucks the seller is asking
1619480362790.png

the wire looks fairly standard, butit got that fancy termination, so i'm not sure if i cut thatout, it would be just regular speaker wire

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
and then going back to these, these are 5 ohms speakers, i just don't know if they would even work in this application, or if they are worth the 30 bucks the seller is asking View attachment 47081
the wire looks fairly standard, butit got that fancy termination, so i'm not sure if i cut thatout, it would be just regular speaker wire
I'm not huge on speaker aesthetics but these exceed my tolerance....they are butt-ugly! Looks like a goofy design but who knows might work okay for surrounds.....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'm not huge on speaker aesthetics but these exceed my tolerance....they are butt-ugly! Looks like a goofy design but who knows might work okay for surrounds.....
for now, i don't care for the asthetics, not while i'm in such a low budget, i just wanna know if theyw ould work, lmao

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i'd probly have gone for them by now, if not for the weird terminations

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Phew. We have a saying that goes "you can't get steak on a hamburger budget". This case is more like trying to get hamburger on a dried beans and rice budget... I'm not picking on you. Wish you had better choices.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i'd probly have gone for them by now, if not for the weird terminations
What are the strange connections, rca type or a particular proprietary type? Probably just snip the connector off...or put different terminals on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again I might fix the remote/zone 2 issue before worrying further for that matter....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Then again I might fix the remote/zone 2 issue before worrying further for that matter....
you know i need a controller for that, and well, i hope some repair shop has one that happens to work, if not, well

-------- > next page

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis