Suggestions on power plugs for DIY power cable

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
A UPS without pure sine wave isn't taking you off-grid and it can be worse than being on the grid. UPS are made to allow proper shutdown of computers and devices that need to be shut down in a specific way, rather than just killing the power or for devices used for security when cutting the power leaves someone or something vulnerable by ending the operation of the device(s). A battery bank with an inverter allows continuous operation without connection to the grid- they're used in boats to operate anything that operates on DC when the engine(s), shore power, solar power or generator aren't providing energy. Big difference in reserve time and purity of signal when the good ones are used- nav equipment is sensitive to bad power, too.

What do you mean by the bold part of your post? What frequency changes- the AC power? Not gonna happen because of a power cord. Think about this- you have miles of wire between your system and the power source and many feet between the outlet and the breaker panel, where the outlets and anything connected to them make their actual connection to the grid. How will a power cord make a big difference, unless the first one is defective or inferior in the sense that it can't support the current needed?
Both are pure sine wave

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
@MacCali,

If you really want to hit all of the issues you've brought up, I would suggest you do something like the following:

1. Wall plug should be good enough.
2. Decent power cable from wall plug to Isotek Syncro Uni
3. Decent power cable from Syncro Uni to Isotek EVO3 SIRIUS (or similar filter)
4. Good shielded cable from EVO3 to component (prevent reintroduction of RFI or EMI into circuit)

If you're worried about giving your system good clean power, do something about it. Everything from the grid to your wall outlet is what it is. Remove any DC on the line, filter out any RFI and EMI, and then deliver that 'clean' power to the component with a shielded cable. This is a reasonable and logical approach to your concerns.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
You didn't answer my question about any frequency change that might be happening.
Ohhhh, yea the reviews I’ve seen post the dynamic range frequency, I think don’t quote me.

Like when you play a song, the waves go up and down. Based on the frequency, lows mids highs, etc. Looks like a mountain range.

Long story short, visually it showed a difference. Same song, different cables. This person doing the review isn’t a company. It isn’t endorsing a specific cable. The cable that was used was a DIY for like 100-150.

So yea I think my same questions apply. I wish Audioholics and Gene would cover all the bases. Prove power plugs are BS, I see people debate or provide an opinion about Gold and Rhodium plating.

Does power conditioning play a role?

The power delivery, cable portion, does nothing. We got it.

To my know knowledge copper at these short runs, makes no difference. We get it.

Paul from PS Audio, which Audioholics has proven that the guy is just getting a placebo affect. So I am not saying what he says is accurate. Was saying that in the process of making their power cables. They started with romex. Then started testing more and more varieties. He says that from testing all these cables they noticed what provides the best frequency response. Dynamic range, Blah Blah Blah.

I mean we know there’s a whole lot of BS. It’s Hard to differentiate what’s right and wrong when you don’t know anything.

Second, even if there was a change. It would be hard for to pick them out, from all the bs that people say happens by changing out cables. Which is why I decided not to proceed.

For all I know my UPS is providing some benefit to my system.

I really do trust Gene as he always provides an unbiased opinion. He gains or loses nothing.

But again, I see gaps in all of this and wish it was all covered. That’s all I am trying to get done here. Not from you guys, but people like Gene. We got these nobodies providing evidence which to seems unbiased cause they too don’t gain or lose anything.

So what does? Equipment is obvious. I’m more upon variables in the system.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ohhhh, yea the reviews I’ve seen post the dynamic range frequency, I think don’t quote me.

Like when you play a song, the waves go up and down. Based on the frequency, lows mids highs, etc. Looks like a mountain range.

Long story short, visually it showed a difference. Same song, different cables. This person doing the review isn’t a company. It isn’t endorsing a specific cable. The cable that was used was a DIY for like 100-150.

So yea I think my same questions apply. I wish Audioholics and Gene would cover all the bases. Prove power plugs are BS, I see people debate or provide an opinion about Gold and Rhodium plating.

Does power conditioning play a role?

The power delivery, cable portion, does nothing. We got it.

To my know knowledge copper at these short runs, makes no difference. We get it.

Paul from PS Audio, which Audioholics has proven that the guy is just getting a placebo affect. So I am not saying what he says is accurate. Was saying that in the process of making their power cables. They started with romex. Then started testing more and more varieties. He says that from testing all these cables they noticed what provides the best frequency response. Dynamic range, Blah Blah Blah.

I mean we know there’s a whole lot of BS. It’s Hard to differentiate what’s right and wrong when you don’t know anything.

Second, even if there was a change. It would be hard for to pick them out, from all the bs that people say happens by changing out cables. Which is why I decided not to proceed.

For all I know my UPS is providing some benefit to my system.

I really do trust Gene as he always provides an unbiased opinion. He gains or loses nothing.

But again, I see gaps in all of this and wish it was all covered. That’s all I am trying to get done here. Not from you guys, but people like Gene. We got these nobodies providing evidence which to seems unbiased cause they too don’t gain or lose anything.

So what does? Equipment is obvious. I’m more upon variables in the system.
If something changes, it should be measurable. The test equipment available can operate at far higher resolution than an audio signal that only reaches a bit higher than 20KHz- RF equipment can analyze signals into the terrahertz range, which is trillions of cycles per second.

Look at what's happening on the power wiring- it's 50 or 60Hz AC, at 100V, 120V, 220V, or whatever, depending on location. Sometimes, noise is carried on the signal, sometimes not so much. The power then enters the equipment and once it's working in the power transformer (or switch mode power supply), something limits what gets in and what doesn't. Once the power transformer has done its job, it's rectified to DC voltage and heavily filtered. At that point, whatever happens outside doesn't really matter, other than voltage variations that could affect the DC voltage, but the power supply can be designed to be heavily regulated, so the changes to the AC voltage won't affect the DC much, if at all.

How much regulation is used depends on the devices inside. How will a pricey power cord affect this? Not a damn bit. If the environment is so heavily saturated with RF, people shouldn't be there.

Dynamic range isn't a matter of frequency, it's amplitude.

The need for power conditioning depends on the equipment being considered and quality of the power reaching it. If the power is very unsteady and the performance of the equipment depends on stable power, it's a problem but if the equipment really isn't affected by this, don't worry about it.

That said, microprocessors and other devices like stable power, so preventing extremes at the high and low ends is a good thing. Some protectors shut off below 90VAC and above 140VAC and some don't really do much of anything unless a sharp spike in voltage occurs but if the building's wiring has a problem that causes the neutral to lift between the breaker panel and the pole, bad things can happen and some protection devices won't see this as a problem. That's when you'll see smoke.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
If something changes, it should be measurable. The test equipment available can operate at far higher resolution than an audio signal that only reaches a bit higher than 20KHz- RF equipment can analyze signals into the terrahertz range, which is trillions of cycles per second.

Look at what's happening on the power wiring- it's 50 or 60Hz AC, at 100V, 120V, 220V, or whatever, depending on location. Sometimes, noise is carried on the signal, sometimes not so much. The power then enters the equipment and once it's working in the power transformer (or switch mode power supply), something limits what gets in and what doesn't. Once the power transformer has done its job, it's rectified to DC voltage and heavily filtered. At that point, whatever happens outside doesn't really matter, other than voltage variations that could affect the DC voltage, but the power supply can be designed to be heavily regulated, so the changes to the AC voltage won't affect the DC much, if at all.

How much regulation is used depends on the devices inside. How will a pricey power cord affect this? Not a damn bit. If the environment is so heavily saturated with RF, people shouldn't be there.

Dynamic range isn't a matter of frequency, it's amplitude.

The need for power conditioning depends on the equipment being considered and quality of the power reaching it. If the power is very unsteady and the performance of the equipment depends on stable power, it's a problem but if the equipment really isn't affected by this, don't worry about it.

That said, microprocessors and other devices like stable power, so preventing extremes at the high and low ends is a good thing. Some protectors shut off below 90VAC and above 140VAC and some don't really do much of anything unless a sharp spike in voltage occurs but if the building's wiring has a problem that causes the neutral to lift between the breaker panel and the pole, bad things can happen and some protection devices won't see this as a problem. That's when you'll see smoke.
Got it. Yea that all makes sense. I was just watching Genes video on wall plugs and wattage. 20 A dedicated vs standard wall plugs.

That’s the next thing I need to consider is having my subs, receiver, and computer all managed out. I am currently only using a two channel set up and no sub. But I am going to have to get that figured out, PC 700 watts, AVR is going to be around 700, and my subs. Possibly getting two of them. Plus my TV and everything else going on in my room. Otherwise it might get Smokey

Alfred Prill

Alfred Prill

Enthusiast
I watched the video, and I would have to agree. I think though what he is saying is accurate,but I plan on purchasing a power conditioner and I think that is where the benefit may begin.

As shown an EMI, your standard wall plug does come with a lot noise.

The cable I purchased is UL compliant and just the way I see it. The cable these companies are providing, like the ps audio is about 1500 @ equal length. This is only going to cost me 120 with plugs. Which is obviously a lot of money if you’re not gaining anything. But depends on what you plan to do.

So either I’m getting foolish riped or riped for chump change. But like I said I plan on getting a power conditioner so this goes hand in hand.

Lastly, if I feel there’s no audible difference I can just sell it for a 100 easily. So I’m not sure where I can go wrong.

I was looking for a video I’ve seen before where the guy shows the frequency of sound with the basic freeby power cable and higher end one. It showed a much more steady performance. Not sure what that accounts too when it comes to audibility.

Im not a professional or experienced, and I fully accept your recommendation. Much appreciated, just would like for you to consider my reasoning. Again not that my reasoning is correct, but if it turns out to be no different I’ll just sell it and have nominal loss
I think it is important to buy a good 20 amp conditioner and install a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Then you can run your power to all components and know you have good grounding and solid connection. The Triplite 20 amp comes with a locking plug (similar to a dryer plug) so you will need a compatible wall plug or change out the connector. Hope that helps

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I think it is important to buy a good 20 amp conditioner and install a dedicated 20 amp circuit. Then you can run your power to all components and know you have good grounding and solid connection. The Triplite 20 amp comes with a locking plug (similar to a dryer plug) so you will need a compatible wall plug or change out the connector. Hope that helps
Yes, I have one that is unused and it’s in my living room. My home theater is 50 ft away. Besides that I can’t modify my apartment. I do not own it, so my only option would be an extension cord and I think that’s not a good idea.

I get this notion from UPS’s, you never use a extension cord for a ups. The one I want is a ups. So that’s kind of out the door, not sure if non battery units are the same

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In my experience, with professional installations, the gold standard is to use a decent power conditioner/surge supressor and then run it into a professional grade power strip that runs down one side of the equipment rack, opposite the side where audio/video cabling is run. Then you replace the manufacturers power cords with the shortest available cord which will reach.

Using short IEC cords that are separate from other power and audio/video cabling isn't perfect, but for the money, it provides a clean and reasonably priced option over ridiculously priced power cords which provide zero quality advantages.

Using short cords also gives you local power which you can identify on the power strip and makes it much easier to replace a piece of equipment should you ever need to do so.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
In my experience, with professional installations, the gold standard is to use a decent power conditioner/surge supressor and then run it into a professional grade power strip that runs down one side of the equipment rack, opposite the side where audio/video cabling is run. Then you replace the manufacturers power cords with the shortest available cord which will reach.

Using short IEC cords that are separate from other power and audio/video cabling isn't perfect, but for the money, it provides a clean and reasonably priced option over ridiculously priced power cords which provide zero quality advantages.

Using short cords also gives you local power which you can identify on the power strip and makes it much easier to replace a piece of equipment should you ever need to do so.

I just bought a power conditioner and it works great. It’s only 270 and I mean maybe made a 2 3% difference in sound and that’s not accurate.

However, I bought it for voltage regulation. I notice the unit does make sounds on sags, and the unit does go off fairly often, so there were sags in my line.

I think the power cable as suggested is a bit overrated and more of a psychological factor. Even if it’s not that, the amount of money to rectify this issue for a non reference system like my own is foolish.

The president of Audioholics actually had the same device in his rack, posted in this thread somewhere above in a YouTube video.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis