subwoofer ideas for a desktop

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Small. Maybe the JBL "creature", but a little too creature-y for me hahaha. Any ideas?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had to look up the JBL thing....never saw that before. I wouldn't call that a sub either....bass module maybe. How small do you need?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Had to look up the JBL thing....never saw that before. I wouldn't call that a sub either....bass module maybe. How small do you need?
My desk is about 6 long x 3 deep. I certainly can go larger, but I don't see the point since it would be sitting so close to my ears. I have 305s. Give me advice on what you think would work please.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My desk is about 6 long x 3 deep. I certainly can go larger, but I don't see the point since it would be sitting so close to my ears. I have 305s. Give me advice on what you think would work please.
Where does the sub need to go, tho and what are the max dimensions?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I am using a SB3000 under my desk. It is paired well with the Martin Logan LX-16 bookshelf speakers that sit on my desk.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just some ideas.
Other 2000 series subs are on sale at SVS. (Not the newer Pro models.)
I think I saw that the Monolith 10" is on sale right now, too.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Just some ideas.
Other 2000 series subs are on sale at SVS. (Not the newer Pro models.)
I think I saw that the Monolith 10" is on sale right now, too.
Those are going to be too much $$$ for my needs. The 200 watt Monoprice above is probably the best bang for the buck. A Dayton, or the 8 inch Mono at Target for $75. Thank you though.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those are going to be too much $$$ for my needs. The 200 watt Monoprice above is probably the best bang for the buck. A Dayton, or the 8 inch Mono at Target for $75. Thank you though.
Depending on what you expect from this Sub, you should pay very close attention to the specs.
That 8” Monoprice has a limited extension to only 50Hz. Bass Guitar hits about 40Hz, Piano 29Hz.
Granted, at $75 it’s supremely affordable, but that doesn’t make it a bargain. ;)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Look like the Dayton 12 or 15" fits the bill. They go down to 23 or 25hz.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Dayton Sub1200 is one of the best options, I think, for a budget Sub. In fact, the performance between the 12 and the 15 stacks in favor of the 1200.
It is limited on the high end, to 150 Hz, iirc, which is possibly the only real drawback if you need to transition from small desktop speakers.
Of course, that is the point in shopping where you have to weigh the tradeoffs. ;)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
JBL Subwoofer
ES150P SPECIFICATIONS
Amplifier Power (RMS): 300 Watts
Peak Dynamic Power: 500 Watts
Driver: 10” (254mm) PolyPlas(TM)
Inputs: Line Level (switchable to LFE)
Low-Pass Frequency: Variable from 50Hz to 150Hz (24dB/octave, continuously variable)
Frequency Response: 27Hz – Low-pass crossover setting
Dimensions (H x W x D): 18" x 13-1/4" x 15-1/4" (457mm x 337mm x 387mm)
Weight: 39 lb/17.7kg

This might work. Local pick up for $60.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

Looks like a pretty easy connection. Probably way too much for the computer though. I'm happy with it though.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
What is a 305s ?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
For what he has, and equipment matching I like the component found by @lovinthehd . You would have to do more expensive to get something similar. By the way I bet the bookshelf speakers sound good. I used to play with studio grade stuff myself!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For what he has, and equipment matching I like the component found by @lovinthehd . You would have to do more expensive to get something similar. By the way I bet the bookshelf speakers sound good. I used to play with studio grade stuff myself!
It's a better match than most. I believe they're being discontinued, tho, so don't wait too long. The LSR305s are nice speakers, especially for the $180/pr I paid!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's a better match than most. I believe they're being discontinued, tho, so don't wait too long. The LSR305s are nice speakers, especially for the $180/pr I paid!
I think so too. Just bought me son a pair of white ones for 99ea. Wanted the 308’s but you know...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis