Sub upgrade opinions

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
In a room your size, sealed subs just are not the way to go. YMMV. But the lower end output will just not support the open-room volume you reported earlier.
That is my fear. So would a single larger sub like the ones I listed be the way to go then? I know everyone is pushing for duals but I just don't have the floor space for duals unless they are really small. And I really hate to drop down to 10" woofers, even duals, as opposed to the 12" the PC2000 has, but I just don't have a lot of room up front to extend out from the wall. My current room layout means somewhat of compromise on what fits and works best, but I'm trying to choose nicer pieces that will work even better once we have a different space in the future. Sort of the buy once, cry once approach at my budget level.

On a separate note, SAIA Freight just dropped a pallet with my Salamander Synergy 337 cabinet wrapped on it. Will be a project for this weekend to get it put together and in place. :)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So another question. Can you successfully mix a single large sub like a rythmik FV15HP in the rear with a pair of smaller sealed subs up front? On the Yammy 3080, it has a front/rear sub output so I'm assuming the front could be split to a pair of sealed subs if desired.

When I'm searching these subs, I'm seeing tons of setups where there are twin sealed subs up front with the main speakers, but I get that they may not offer the same output in my odd room. But at the same time, I'm worried that a single larger sub won't be ideal either and my room doesn't really support two larger subs.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I've said it before I'd rather have one awesome large subwoofer then to smaller awesome subwoofers. JMO. You find the proper subwoofer position for a large Beast and it's Magic

If I had a save a whole year to get that big boy badass magic subwoofer then I would it's absolutely worth it

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks. The FV18 would be awesome, but it's way too tall at 33". That's as tall as the PC2000. Will have to be something closer to the height of that FV15HP which is 24" tall. PSA has a V1812 which is lower but I'm getting the impression from reading that the FV15HP will out perform it. I may be missing some but the FV15HP seems to be the best rated without switching way up to either the FV18 or something like JTR which I don't have budget or room for.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Why would you pick the V1812 PSA over the FV15HP Rythmik? Just curious as the Rythmik seems to have lower output in the reviews.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Why would you pick the V1812 PSA over the FV15HP Rythmik? Just curious as the Rythmik seems to have lower output in the reviews.
I stated it. I'm going with Tom V

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I stated it. I'm going with Tom V
Got it and I do put value in the support behind a product. Thanks.

I reached out to him again to talk about the V1812. I'm certain it would be an upgrade over the PC2000 but will see what he has to say. When I talked to him before I was comparing the 15" versions but decided to try the cylinder for footprint purposes.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Got it and I do put value in the support behind a product. Thanks.

V1812. I'm certain it would be an upgrade over the PC2000 but will see what he has to say.
Absolutely an Up-Grade

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Haven't heard back from Tom yet but am wondering what the difference between the V1812 and the V18 IPAL. Looks like maybe it's just the woofer that is different but I'm not sure what that means for my usage.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So another question. Can you successfully mix a single large sub like a rythmik FV15HP in the rear with a pair of smaller sealed subs up front? On the Yammy 3080, it has a front/rear sub output so I'm assuming the front could be split to a pair of sealed subs if desired.

When I'm searching these subs, I'm seeing tons of setups where there are twin sealed subs up front with the main speakers, but I get that they may not offer the same output in my odd room. But at the same time, I'm worried that a single larger sub won't be ideal either and my room doesn't really support two larger subs.
IMO, this is a horrible idea. I’d be curious if you have any links to these reports. I just don’t see the logic.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What reports?
I mean you said you’ve seen tons of reports, of such setups with sealed subs up front and a ported one it the back.
Or maybe I just mentally added the rear ported part?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I mean you said you’ve seen tons of reports, of such setups with sealed subs up front and a ported one it the back.
Or maybe I just mentally added the rear ported part?
It wasn't really written clearly. I said I'd seen tons of setups with twin front sealed subs (in pictures on the internet) But was also asking if front sealed could mesh with rear ported since I don't have room up front for a large ported sub.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Haven't heard back from Tom yet but am wondering what the difference between the V1812 and the V18 IPAL. Looks like maybe it's just the woofer that is different but I'm not sure what that means for my usage.
Just a difference in the Driver.

Just missed a deal on the Ipal's

Email support@powersoundaudio.com with questions or to purchase.

2 V18ipal~ $1650 each or both for EDIT SOLD.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking a pair of RSL Speedwoofers might work. They are ported 10in but they have a small footprint. I’m not sure they would completely pressurize the space though like ported 12in subs.

If a single large ported sub, usually that would go in the front of the room on either side. You are likely to experience localization if you don’t. That means explosions meant to come from the front of the room in a movie seem to come from the sub at the back of the room. The higher you move the crossover at the AVR the more this shows up. Usually I’m wanting higher than 80hz on a center channel. Up around 100hz or 110hz.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thinking a pair of RSL Speedwoofers might work. They are ported 10in but they have a small footprint. I’m not sure they would completely pressurize the space though like ported 12in subs.

If a single large ported sub, usually that would go in the front of the room on either side. You are likely to experience localization if you don’t. That means explosions meant to come from the front of the room in a movie seem to come from the sub at the back of the room. The higher you move the crossover at the AVR the more this shows up. Usually I’m wanting higher than 80hz on a center channel. Up around 100hz or 110hz.

Not sure who gave the thumbs down on this comment but I have experienced that with the current location, as well as the other rear corner. That's why I was thinking eventually getting some sort of sub up front would help. I just know there isn't room for a large one like these 15" and 18" ported models.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure who gave the thumbs down on this comment but I have experienced that with the current location, as well as the other rear corner. That's why I was thinking eventually getting some sort of sub up front would help. I just know there isn't room for a large one like these 15" and 18" ported models.
The other one I thought of was Rythmik L22. This is a sealed sub with dual 12in. It should have output similar to a ported 12in. A pair of L22 might work.

S

Space2013

Audioholic
I would NOT try to mix a small subwoofer upfront with a large subwoofer next to the couch. You will always be limited by the smaller subwoofer, plus mixing and matching subwoofers gets more complicated to setup correctly.

An ideal solution would be to look for a pair of good ported subwoofer in a compact package that would allow you some placement flexibility (allowing you to mix and match upfront and next to the couch). I don’t remember the exact layout of your room, but am I correct in assuming no subwoofer will fit next to the end table unless it is big enough to replace the end table completely? Which then makes it too big to have a matching subwoofer up front (and thus the issue).

If the choice is two small subs upfront or one big sub next to the touch (with nothing in between that could be moved between both locations), then it is a really hard call. I’d personally go with whichever placement location gives a better sound. Given the limited placement locations I think picking the best location would be more important than picking the “best” subwoofer. A good sub is going to struggle in a bad spot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on testing locations? Could the OP do the subwoofer crawl with the current PC2000 to see which location is better? Or will it be too different when they go with a different model?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis