StormAudio ISP MK2 24CH AV Processor Review & Support Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for updating the review. Without it, it seems there is an issue in the over 5k range, when it is something that will only show up in wideband measurements. While Trinnov seems to get quite a bit of the buzz in the high end processor market, I too opted for it over the Trinnov.
Yea I should have either omitted that measurement or better prequalified it. It was odd that Storm didn't really comment on it when I submitted my test results to them other than to tell me they are working on a new high performance DAC. I absolutely love the Storm ISP MK2 even if it isn't as mature as the great Trinnov.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yea I should have either omitted that measurement or better prequalified it. It was odd that Storm didn't really comment on it when I submitted my test results to them other than to tell me they are working on a new high performance DAC. I absolutely love the Storm ISP MK2 even if it isn't as mature as the great Trinnov.
Wait until the new DataSat gets released.......Might surprise a lot of people.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wait until the new DataSat gets released.......Might surprise a lot of people.
I'm just eager to see what they do to differentiate themselves from the competition. These uber high end products do have some compelling features that sometimes trickle down.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm just eager to see what they do to differentiate themselves from the competition. These uber high end products do have some compelling features that sometimes trickle down.
Agreed. DataSat was the go to processor back in the 90's and early 2000's. Majority of movie studios used DataSat and then it trickled into residential home theaters and was thee top processor. Then Trinnov came out mid 2000's and was the new toy on the market and DataSat didn't respond. So now that ATI owns them and have been working on new processors for the last 3+ years. I have a feeling they're seeing what is happening in the market and waiting for some of the tech (hdmi 2.1) to be more stable. Working on their own PQ processing or with Dirac or both, depending on which processor. I truly think once they hit the market they'll have all the bells and whistles and state of the art tech hardware to fully compete against and possibly surpass the current big dogs Trinnov and Storm Audio. At least that's my hope. We need more competition in the high end processor market.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
The one feature that doesn’t get talked about much with the Storm is their Storm XT. See full description below... but basically what it does is if a speaker is outside of the supported speaker format, it will use that speaker by combining/matrixing it from the nearby speakers. For example, if you use a VOG speaker which will be active for DTSX Pro, and Auro, it would normally be silent when used for Atmos. However, with StormXT it will be active even with Atmos content. Same goes for speakers like Center Height. Another example is the front wides. Currently with the Storm implementation of Dolby Surround Upmixer, FW speakers were not active. But with StormXT they now are. This is something that Trinnov isn’t doing that I know of and is a very nice feature.

StormXT – Beyond natively decoding a large number of channels, with the multiple formats available on the market and their different recommended speaker placements, it is not uncommon to have silent speakers when playing certain content. While this can be a choice, it can be frustrating not to use all speakers to improve immersivity. StormAudio engineers have been working on this challenge and developed a proprietary engine called StormXT that works hand in hand with existing upmix algorithms to extract relevant audio signals from nearby speakers and redirect them to silent speakers. This new feature will be coming to the ISP platform free of charge in 2021.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Damn! Another processor that can't run Dirac at 96K! Very disappointing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis