Speaker Wire Myths and Truths

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
good points about video vs. audio, thanks for the input :) , now, if I was feeling mischievous I may point out that thare are limits to what we can hear too ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MDS said:
The world is full of bogus unscientific/unsubstantiated claims and people eat them up nonetheless.

Secrets posted a press release from a company selling a demagnetizer for CDs (not that they endorse the product). Now the press release sounds plausible - basically that the dyes used in the CD label contain small amounts of magnetic material that can become magnetized and their product totally removes the magnetic field. The price? $1,800!

My first question would be what the h*ll does a small magnetic field have to do with a 680 nm laser that is reading pits and lands on an optical disc? I don't claim to be an expert on opto-electronics but huh? If it were $18 it would be worth a shot on the off chance that there is some unexplained phenomena of which we are not aware but I'd bet my net worth it doesn't do a damn thing.
How soon we forget the Bedini Cd purifier or demag gadget:D
A patent was issued for it and discussed here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/45775.html

I think it was much less than $1800.

Magnetic fields and light? I think you need a huge amount to affect it, not those micro levels speculated by that maker. Besides, the maker needs to have evidence that it does affect the light beam. Speculating about it is a non-starter.

And, if there is an unexplained phenomenon out there, this sort of company is not the one that will be discovering it.

hyghwayman

hyghwayman

Audioholic
Seth=L said:
Tice clocks, Monster, and styrofoam lifters so you speaker cables don't touch the floor, Pish-posh.

Here is that stupid Tice Clock, pay close attention to the red ''X''s on the bottom right of the Tice Clock.

http://www.regonaudio.com/Tice Clock.html

Thanks for the link Seth. This just shows how gullible we humans can be.

hyghwayman

porziob

Audioholic Intern
Cable myths et al.

There`s now a device to demagnetize vinyl. Go to the Levardin web site (French amp mfg. quacks). They claim tubes suffer not from electron retention where SS is plagued by it. Barnum had nothing on these quacks.

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Michael Fremer in Stereophile says it works, though he has no idea how. Shocking news, I know.
:rolleyes:

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Such snakeoil exists ouside of audiophilia, but it is much rarer. Most people could easily look at 2 TVs, one of which has a $500 power cable and say "Nope, looks the same." This is because society teaches us to be very critical visually froma young age (What pre-school class didn't have the "whats diffrent in these two pictures?" games?). Society could give a crap about listening critically as long as you can tell a smoke alarm from a trumpet.

When society does teach people critical listening skills, this audiophile snake oil simply can't sell. How many people who were born blind have Mpongi wood anywhere near their stereos? Probably none.

But snake oil exists in every field where the consumer is ignorant. Who hasn'ty seen the adds for "improve your mileage 15-35% with magic gas pills!" or seen somebody pay good money so a "faith healer" can magically pull cancer (chicken parts) out of their stomachs. This is because most people have no working knowledge of automotive engineering or medicine.

The only answer is the longer & difficult process of informing consumers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rock&Roll Ninja said:

And, this is one of the better sites for it:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Such snakeoil exists ouside of audiophilia, but it is much rarer. Most people could easily look at 2 TVs, one of which has a $500 power cable and say "Nope, looks the same." This is because society teaches us to be very critical visually froma young age (What pre-school class didn't have the "whats diffrent in these two pictures?" games?). Society could give a crap about listening critically as long as you can tell a smoke alarm from a trumpet.

When society does teach people critical listening skills, this audiophile snake oil simply can't sell. How many people who were born blind have Mpongi wood anywhere near their stereos? Probably none.

But snake oil exists in every field where the consumer is ignorant. Who hasn'ty seen the adds for "improve your mileage 15-35% with magic gas pills!" or seen somebody pay good money so a "faith healer" can magically pull cancer (chicken parts) out of their stomachs. This is because most people have no working knowledge of automotive engineering or medicine.

So true, you forgot to add the millions of stupid people who think they can magically loose weight by taking a pill.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

jeffsg4mac said:
So true, you forgot to add the millions of stupid people who think they can magically loose weight by taking a pill.
South Beach Parasite!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
.....When society does teach people critical listening skills, this audiophile snake oil simply can't sell. How many people who were born blind have Mpongi wood anywhere near their stereos? Probably none.

Extreme audiophiles are a special case. They spend lots of time on critical listening and are quite well informed. What's fascinating is that they embrace the snake oil. Why? It's the old psychological principle of cognitive dissonance. When people come to strongly believe or have reason to believe something, their minds will start to block facts and stimuli that contradict the belief. The more the evidence contradicts the belief, the stronger the need to reject it. You see it in extreme religiosity and audiophilia. I guess somehow they must be related.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Extreme audiophiles use their imagination to make their system better, then they use snake oil companies as a lightning rod.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

skizzerflake said:
Extreme audiophiles are a special case. They spend lots of time on critical listening and are quite well informed. What's fascinating is that they embrace the snake oil. Why? It's the old psychological principle of cognitive dissonance. When people come to strongly believe or have reason to believe something, their minds will start to block facts and stimuli that contradict the belief. The more the evidence contradicts the belief, the stronger the need to reject it. You see it in extreme religiosity and audiophilia. I guess somehow they must be related.

Well, I doubt they are well informed. Or, trained properly for critical listening. If they were, the evidence would speak for itself to them.. I bet they are ill informed and pretend a lot.

You can also see this outside of the two areas, audio or religion.
Alternative medicines. Suzanne Summers just wrote a book and was on Larry King just a few night ago. Why does he have a a following on medical advice. She is not a doctor, not trained or educated.

Holistic healing. Homeopathic medicines. Psychics of all lines. It is endless.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
When society does teach people critical listening skills, this audiophile snake oil simply can't sell.

The most important aspect that is not well taught in schools and in life is critical thinking. Sure, some get it, but it is such a small fraction.
Just look at all the beliefs systems out there consumer land.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Amen to that brother. Anything worth doing takes time and is usually difficult., at least at first.

G

GreenJelly

Banned
The ultimate double blind study I saw was done to prove how much of a crock this cable sales are.

My uncle found it a few years back, and I cant seem to find it again, so you will just have to take my word that this was credible study.

They tested the top of the line MIT cable vrs cloths hangers tied together. The results were a Tie. Sorry, but the only ones claiming fowl are the ones that wasted their money on this crap, the ones making the crap, or the ones selling the crap.

Everyone else sees it as crap.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

GreenJelly said:
They tested the top of the line MIT cable vrs cloths hangers tied together. .

I have seen that coat hanger test used as a digital cable. Worked flawlessly too. Bit perfect transmissions.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The probability of bit errors over a 3 foot distance is so close to zero that it is not even worth calculating. People should keep that in mind when considering dubious marketing claims of high dollar cables (like my favorite from Monster - "time correct windings").

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
MDS said:
The probability of bit errors over a 3 foot distance is so close to zero that it is not even worth calculating. People should keep that in mind when considering dubious marketing claims of high dollar cables (like my favorite from Monster - "time correct windings").
Yeah...they can kiss my magnetic flux tube!:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis