Sound United has been sold....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Star Wars is on shaky ground right now too, but there's at least a glimmer of hope for it. I love(d) Star Trek too. Unfortunately there isn't much hope in sight for that series in the foreseeable future. There seems to be an almost mean spirited glee taken in crapping all over legacy Star Trek for some reason. I feel your pain man, I really do.
Agreed and if you voice your concern about this, your labeled a racist misogynistic bigot Trump supporter bc you don't like Mikey Burnham or Tilly which are horrible characters, NOT because they are black or women but because they just suck. Anyway, Star Trek rant over.

D

dogdaysindurham

Audiophyte
On digging in to this I am even more worried. Masimo was founded in Irvine California in 2011, where it is still based.

It specializes in oximetry, both in hospital and especially home monitoring. It also makes add devices for ventilators, including capnea and end tidal volume monitors. They also have a partnership and may be ownership with Newtech Inc. of Shenzhen, China.

Masimo seem to be under the impression that they can integrate home monitoring with home entertainment systems. So though far fetched, they seem to want to make your AVR do you oximetry monitoring and probably monitor your CPAP remotely, This sounds like a great business model to me. What could go wrong!

Sound United is owned by Viper corporation, and Masimo have purchased the whole works for a billion dollars. It seems Masimo have contributed a small amount of cash, but the buyout is largely leveraged by debt. I regard this as extremely ominous.

The bottom line is that Masimo do not make or design major medical devices, despite to glowing boiler plate about being leading manufacturers of medical equipment. They do not seem to be, but very much peripheral players.

Anyone see a train crash in the offing?
Masimo was founded in 1989. The founder is still the CEO. They do most of their manufacturing in Mexico and some in the US. And also have an semiconductor factory in the US. I believe they are in the top 5 for patient monitoring equipment competing with Mindray, Philips, GE Health, and Medtronic. They are a leading OEM for patient monitoring equipment. But I don’t think they make ultrasound, MRI, xray , or CT scanners.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Dude...quit while your just a little behind..no pun intended. :D
Lol, I'm just messing with BoredSys, not my fault about Joe and that China dude being ole buttbuddys. I read that on a news feed unless it's fake news?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Lol, I'm just messing with BoredSys, not my fault about Joe and that China dude being ole buttbuddys. I read that on a news feed unless it's fake news?
Joe Biden and the president of china, xi jinping, in cahoots? Who knows. I hope not...if they are, it's for his own personal financial reasons and not for reasons that benefit this country. But that's a whole nother thing....

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Joe Biden and the president of china, xi jinping, in cahoots? Who knows. I hope not...if they are, it's for his own personal financial reasons and not for reasons that benefit this country. But that's a whole nother thing....
Right! I believe I remember NBC new showing a news feed of the two on a video feed and Xi saying, helo my old friend. But totally agree them two being old friends surely wouldn't be in our country's best interest. Anyways you still rocking your RX-2070? I'm sad for Denon, Marantz and Onkyo being sold off Again! I had high hopes for Onkyo's big come back. Everyone likes a big comeback story. I guess it is true, heavy is the head that wears the crown with Yamaha huh.;)

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Right! I believe I remember NBC new showing a news feed of the two on a video feed and Xi saying, helo my old friend. But totally agree them two being old friends surely wouldn't be in our country's best interest. Anyways you still rocking your RX-2070? I'm sad for Denon, Marantz and Onkyo being sold off Again! I had high hopes for Onkyo's big come back. Everyone likes a big comeback story. I guess it is true, heavy is the head that wears the crown with Yamaha huh.;)
Yeah, not dipping my toe in the political pool. I have the Yamaha RX A3060 though.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You are 200% correct. Appliances have become a F*cking joke in build quality and reliability. My brand new house has a top of the line GE Profile Diswasher and the racks come out of the machine because they couldn't use real wheels as casters. Instead they had crappy plastic tabs that came off and melted in the heat. I had to bitch at GE for 3 months and have them come back multiple times until they fixed it and still NOT using real wheels like my mom has in her 20yo GE Profile dishwasher.

The amount of incompetent people running large corporations and handling production decisions on famed TV series is staggering. Just look at how crappy Star Trek has become, written by folks that never watched an episode of past shows in their lives.

I was just getting used to the folks at Sound United running these brands and now I hope it doesn't go the wrong way like so many buyouts in the past have in our industry.
Off on this tangent topic. We had our home built in 2017 and we chose top of the line that they offered, which was the GE Profile line with gas range top (cheap plastic knobs broke in two months, found metal replacements) , oven, microwave in wall combo. Oven cooked uneven replaced 2 times. (under warranty) The rest I opted out (Fridge, dishwasher, washer and dryer) i researched and bought on our own. HHGreg was going out of business, so got a 4k GE fridge new in the box for 1500, Bosh Dish washer, rock solid and LG Washer & Steam Dryer front loading, working like champs. got the dishwasher, washer, dryer for more than 50% off retail.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You are 200% correct. Appliances have become a F*cking joke in build quality and reliability. My brand new house has a top of the line GE Profile Diswasher and the racks come out of the machine because they couldn't use real wheels as casters. Instead they had crappy plastic tabs that came off and melted in the heat. I had to bitch at GE for 3 months and have them come back multiple times until they fixed it and still NOT using real wheels like my mom has in her 20yo GE Profile dishwasher.

The amount of incompetent people running large corporations and handling production decisions on famed TV series is staggering. Just look at how crappy Star Trek has become, written by folks that never watched an episode of past shows in their lives.

I was just getting used to the folks at Sound United running these brands and now I hope it doesn't go the wrong way like so many buyouts in the past have in our industry.
Gene, this sell off of SU, Denon/Marantz has me wondering, was SU acquisition of Polk Audio sold off also? James reviewed Polk's Reserve series, R700 speakers as you know. They measured out quite well for a Polk (brand) speaker. Before SU acquired Polk Audio, Polks speakers weren't the best at measuring out well before SU acquired the Polk brand. Polk put out some umm affordable speakers that always had some kind of anomaly with them.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I bought my 3060 used 3 years ago for $1200 and its rocking without issue. Even configured two tape monitor out loops on it.
Nice...It's a great receiver. I've thought about adding an amp to it a few times, but I really don't see the need. Plus I'm cheap, :cool:

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Nice...It's a great receiver. I've thought about adding an amp to it a few times, but I really don't see the need. Plus I'm cheap, :cool:
Yeah, 1200 for a A3060 3 years ago was a sweet deal. Got my A4A at a great price new. Course it helps to have a trusted dealer. Cause I'm a cheapo also.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yeah, 1200 for a A3060 3 years ago was a sweet deal. Got my A4A at a great price new. Course it helps to have a trusted dealer. Cause I'm a cheapo also.
It was actually 3db that paid 1200. I bought it new and paid full retail, but I don't care, it was worth every penny.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Take a 50 cent AC outlet, plate the metal with shiny brass and throw it in a freezer to cryogenically treat it and... BAM... $100 audiophile outlet. :D
Don't forget to write "AudioQuest" on the plate. That ups the value another $100 for outlet plates.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha. Y'all be some small thinkers.
From one of my ab-fav sites... I go here ever'time I need a pick-me-up:

:oops: o_O :rolleyes:

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Geez how did this thread get political? I guess everything unfortunately now is turned political.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Geez how did this thread get political? I guess everything unfortunately now is turned political.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Exactly! If we could just keep it to making fun of AudioQuest and other overpriced Audio/Visual companies and products. That would be great. We could also use more forum topics about Star Trek. :p

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Gene, this sell off of SU, Denon/Marantz has me wondering, was SU acquisition of Polk Audio sold off also? James reviewed Polk's Reserve series, R700 speakers as you know. They measured out quite well for a Polk (brand) speaker. Before SU acquired Polk Audio, Polks speakers weren't the best at measuring out well before SU acquired the Polk brand. Polk put out some umm affordable speakers that always had some kind of anomaly with them.
Can't speak for Gene but... :)
Clearly Sound United has too many loudspeaker brands, look for the new owner to spin a few off...
Here is where in my opinion they missed the boat..
SoundBars, BT smart speakers and headphones categories all had significant sales growth for the last 3 years and are projected to increase by 12% up to 2025. The soundbars have grown along with the flat panel HD displays, as the market demand for bigger screen sizes also to support increased demand for better surround audio including Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. Here the audio brands need to compete in the growth categories as they deliver a higher profit margin than AVRs...

Just my $0.02... ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can't speak for Gene but... :)
Clearly Sound United has too many loudspeaker brands, look for the new owner to spin a few off...
Here is where in my opinion they missed the boat..
SoundBars, BT smart speakers and headphones categories all had significant sales growth for the last 3 years and are projected to increase by 12% up to 2025. The soundbars have grown along with the flat panel HD displays, as the market demand for bigger screen sizes also to support increased demand for better surround audio including Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. Here the audio brands need to compete in the growth categories as they deliver a higher profit margin than AVRs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
You have added weight to what we are worried about. This acquisition will more likely than not accelerate the race to the bottom.

There is a real danger that will have high end two channel audiophool systems and ghastly sound bars, and precious little if anything in between.

I see a real possibility of creating a great home theater experience becoming close to impossible in the not too distant future.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis