Sony PS3 v2.20 Software Updates to BD-Live

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
This week Sony threw down the gauntlet, saying that the v2.20 system software update for the PlayStation 3, due in late March, will add Blu-ray disc Profile 2.0 (BD-Live). This makes the PS3 one of the first players to support BD-Live and activates a ton of installed boxes to the potential of supporting the new Profile 2.0 software coming soon.

Discuss "Sony PS3 Update BD-Live" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
help me out, what is the point in BD live? why whoud I want that in a stand alone BD player anyway? ( yes I know that this is about the ps3)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Web enabled features directly from movie, meaning they will have things like "rate or review the movie you just watched online" and things like that. Is it really a benefit? Will it help sales? Hard to say right now IMO. I guess we will have to see. I will at least check it out on my PS3...

T

terror_beast

Audioholic Intern
Man, what is taking so long on adding DTS-HD:High Resolution and DTS-HD:Master Audio decoding anyway?! The rumors of adding DTS-HD audio support are almost a year old now!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy a stand-alone player that can support DTS-HD audio in some way. Doesn't matter if it's a Profile 1.0 or 1.1 player since I can just use my PS3 for any special features that the stand alone player cannot support :p

To answer the question above - BD-Live just adds internet support. Right now, with Profile 1.1 (Bonus View) players, we are limited to whatever special features are originally pressed on the disc. BD-Live adds the option for studios to create additional special features and content that isn't pressed on the original disc and then offer it via a download. There's also the option to support basically anything that can be done over the internet, like sharing your favorite clips or hosting a chat - whatever. It just has to be written and then downloaded, so it's pretty much just up to studios to try out whatever they feel like paying for and then for consumers to download whatever catches their interest.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
I think it was Audioholics that mentioned at a trade show Sony reps said DTSHD over bitstream would never happen.

But they are working on DTSHD over PCM with DTS.

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
Man, what is taking so long on adding DTS-HD:High Resolution and DTS-HD:Master Audio decoding anyway?! The rumors of adding DTS-HD audio support are almost a year old now!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy a stand-alone player that can support DTS-HD audio in some way. Doesn't matter if it's a Profile 1.0 or 1.1 player since I can just use my PS3 for any special features that the stand alone player cannot support :p
Maybe I'm missing something, wouldn't be the first time, but I don't understand why getting DTS MA on the PS3 is such a big deal. Seeing as both TrueHD and DTS MA are lossless audio formats won't both be outputting the same information at the same resolution. From my understanding TrueHD and DTS MA are like winzip and winrar both compress the file but once they are uncompressed both produce the same original file.

I can understand DD vs DTS because it involved different compression methods but TrueHD vs DTS MA I just don't get.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Maybe I'm missing something, wouldn't be the first time, but I don't understand why getting DTS MA on the PS3 is such a big deal. Seeing as both TrueHD and DTS MA are lossless audio formats won't both be outputting the same information at the same resolution. From my understanding TrueHD and DTS MA are like winzip and winrar both compress the file but once they are uncompressed both produce the same original file.

I can understand DD vs DTS because it involved different compression methods but TrueHD vs DTS MA I just don't get.

The main problem (at least for me) with DTS-HD MA is that when it appears, often it is the only Hi-Res format avaliable. I haven't seen a BR yet that has DTS-HD MA and TrueHD or PCM. I am quite happy with either of those formats.

That being said, I believe I read before that DTS-HD MA has a higher bitrate ceiling than TrueHD or PCM. Audible differences.....I doubt it highly.

I refuse to buy another player simply for DTS-HD MA decoding......I just won't buy any more movies with only that format. :(

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
The main problem (at least for me) with DTS-HD MA is that when it appears, often it is the only Hi-Res format avaliable. I haven't seen a BR yet that has DTS-HD MA and TrueHD or PCM.
That is just plain lame :mad:

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I think it was Audioholics that mentioned at a trade show Sony reps said DTSHD over bitstream would never happen.

But they are working on DTSHD over PCM with DTS.
Yep. It is aparently a hardware limitation that disallows the bitstream of DTS HD. That however doesn't matter as it can be sent over PCM if they would just update the firmware on the PS3 to do that. I believe it "can" be done.
The lossless sound is the same regardless of where it is decoded.

Pat

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another issue with DTS MA via the PS3 is currently the player will only send a 5.1 signal (core audio @1.5mps), not a 7.1 signal, regardless of what is recorded.

Jack

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is because there is no chip to do the decoding of DTS-HD internally in the PS3. I believe even standard DTS is being done by software somehow also. DTS can easily be passed via PCM, however I found that with DTS CDs, which are already encoded as PCM (but is different from dts bitstream), would not pass correctly - I get pink noise the same as if you tried to play it on a device (player or receiver) that does not have dts decoding.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
So how are standalones doing Dolby HD and DTS HD decoding via software or a a separate hardware chipset?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Good question. I would have to guess that the ones that can do it (bitstream) are doing via a chip.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Another issue with DTS MA via the PS3 is currently the player will only send a 5.1 signal (core audio @1.5mps), not a 7.1 signal, regardless of what is recorded.

Jack
That's because there is no 7.1 dolby digital or dts, but it will do the dts es or dolby digital ex, and besides, 5.1 core of either DD or dts isn't a limitation of the PS3, there isn't enough bandwidth for anything over 1.5 mbps when using toslink or spdif.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
That's because there is no 7.1 dolby digital or dts, but it will do the dts es or dolby digital ex, and besides, 5.1 core of either DD or dts isn't a limitation of the PS3, there isn't enough bandwidth for anything over 1.5 mbps when using toslink or spdif.
I wonder what it does with a 6.1 DTS-ES disc....I'm only running 5.1 right now. Anyone out there got a 6 or 7.1 setup with a PS3 and a DTS-ES 6.1 disc??? (i.e LoTR, Gladiator) I'd be interested to hear (read) the results.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

It passes 7.1 for DD True Hd (3:10 to Yuma) with no problems over hdmi @ ~6mps. Dts 6.1 & all DTS formats are passed as 5.1.

Jack

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I wonder what it does with a 6.1 DTS-ES disc....I'm only running 5.1 right now. Anyone out there got a 6 or 7.1 setup with a PS3 and a DTS-ES 6.1 disc??? (i.e LoTR, Gladiator) I'd be interested to hear (read) the results.
I've got a 7.2 setup with the PS3 w/hdmi -->Denon 3808ci. Currently, the most it will pass is 5.1 for dts, regardless of if it's 6.1 or 7.1. Pans Labrynth on BD, 7.1 DTS MA comes as 5.1 at core1.5mps. Gladiator on dvd, DTS-ES, comes as 5.1 too.

Jack

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
just use your receiver's PLIIx decoder if you can overlay it and you will have 6.1/7.1 for all your movies.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
As a HD DVD owner, I think this is great news. I'm going to leave the DTS-HD stuff alone for a sec. (I know this is audioholics.)

Yes, some of the interactive stuff like polls and trailer downloads and shopping portals :rolleyes: can be lame. However, community screenings are cool. Moreover, no one has any idea what the next application will be that takes advantage of 'net connectivity on Blu players.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis