Sony 2023 ES Receiver lineup

M

mattsrs

Audiophyte
I have had the 5000ES for a few days and I am hearing a hissing sound from speakers for about 10 seconds after I pause a movie or when it transitions from say Netflix icon intro to the main movie and there's silences. It is not basic amp hissing, I am hearing some digital artifacts in the hiss too so I wonder if it has to do with the processing they do. When I turn off 360SSM, the hissing is much less audible and you can only hear it if you put your ear next to the speakers. Here's recording of how the hissing noise with 360SSM on: https://voca.ro/1ZPGl7ibEA9B I

Just wanted to share to know if @Matthew J Poes or anyone else have noticed this

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I had a long conversation yesterday with ChatGPT about much of the above and how I might interconnect everything, an I've come to some further understanding, but no full conclusions yet. The Sony ES 7000 and 3000 are now available to order on sony.com, so I'm really looking forward to Matt's review. As mentioned above, I'm planning a 7.2.4 system in an ideal room that's adjacent to another room and deck that I'd like connected audio in as well with Homepods, Denons, or Sonos. Here are some things I learned

- It turns out I can play Atmos to a receiver and the Homepods simultaneously from an Apple TV 4K (for live concerts). Although it's still unclear if I can have a source as X-Box, it's not a large use case to play video game sound to the adjacent room. So Homepods are in the running for the adjacent room.
- In order to run my Samsung Frame TV in Art Mode while listening to music from the Apple TV to Atmos, the best solution I've come up with is to run a 10-inch monitor to a side table from Zone B video out for just the Apple TV UI, and put the Samsung Frame TV in Art Mode. This will be nice to have a small screen just for music UI and another huge one for art.
- The rest of what I learned has to do with spatial audio and the various streaming services available... and I'm just more confused.

Obviously, if I go with Apple Homepods, I'll subscribe to Apple Music for Lossless and Apple's Spatial Audio, which will work on both the Sony ES Atmos and the Homepods in the adjacent room. However, should I expect that a 2023 Sony ES Receiver with "360 Spatial Audio" is better suited to play Sony's "360 Reality Audio" formatted music, compared to Apple Music's Atmos? Probably yes, but this is an important question if you're reading, Matt. If a brand new Sony receiver does play Sony formatted content better, then I should subscribe to Tidal HiFi Plus with Sony Reality Audio, and then of course ditch the Homepods for Sonos, which works with Tidal and presumably will even have spatial audio and maybe room correction in their upcoming Era line. So, here's what I'm assuming so far:

- Sony ES 5000 + Sonos Port ($400) + 2 Sonos Era Speakers (~$500-600) = 11- channels out of the box and subscription to Tidal for Sony Reality Audio. DCAC IX plus 360 is promising vs. Dirac standard, but that's unclear. Bass Optimization will have to be done with SVS DSPs and REW. Sonos have portable options which are ideal for deck and even camping. Spendy but good.
- Denon/Marantz = Will likely start with 5.2.4, then add an amp and 2 more speakers later. Dirac Live available, but Bass Management coming way later. Independent sub-outs. Denon Heos makes sense obviously although Homepods could work. Denon's are nice but not portable, and no mention of spatial audio. Homepods atleast have in-room correction built in, and probably better if I go with Apple Music. Denon/Marantz do support Sony Reality Audio.
- Pioneer = 305 and 505 are on sale now, have standard Dirac, and seem to work with either Sonos of Homepods just fine.

See the plans below if you're interested.
Using an AZ7000ES, I'd forget about Spatial Audio "Pod" speakers in the adjacent room and concentrate more on the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4 speaker configuration in the Main room. The 360 Reality Audio processing will be compromised with that particular configuration. But, it is only really optimized with a 5.1.5.3 configuration. I'd put two good tower or bookshelf speakers in the adjacent room for Zone 2. They will deliver better audio than any Spatial Audio "Pod" speakers any day of the week. You could put a sub equipped with a high pass filter in the mix as well by connecting it to the Zone 2 speaker terminals and then the speakers to it for more bass in Zone 2.

I wouldn't worry about Spatial Audio presentation while entertaining in multiple rooms. The optimal position for listening is very limited and folks will be roaming about the place. I'd use Airplay 2 for casting to both rooms. Airplay 2 has no Zone casting restrictions like Chromecast or DTS Play-Fi. So, using an iPad, iPhone or Mac as the Jukebox, you can send the selected music to both Zones simultaneously. Alexa Cast is supposed to allow 360 Reality Audio on iOS. So, owners of these new Sony receivers can experiment with different casting options to see which get 360 Reality Audio metadata to the receiver. Using Airplay 2 to send music to both zones, different up mixers can be applied to the signal in the Main Zone. There are limitations regarding signals sent to Zone 2 from HDMI connected devices in the main Zone. But, for multi room music streaming occasions, I'd go with Airplay 2 to Main Zone and Zone 2 using your preferred music streaming service. The TV can display art and a second monitor would not be necessary as the iOS device or Mac would have a screen to view when selecting music.

Those are just a few suggestions for the setup but there are many, many options there. Have fun with it, whatever you decide to do.

H

Hellboy.

Audiophyte
You are not understanding that the #5 and #6 HDMI ports do not support 18Gbps which is very necessary for many reasons concerning new devices. It doesn't help that HDMI 2.0 has effectively been folded into HDMI 2.1 and manufacturers aren't saying anymore than they need to do so. 4K Enhanced(18Gbps) is necessary to avoid any SDR conversion, color subsampling and color bit drops that occur going through a 4K Standard(9 Gbps) port. You also don't understand that some streamers will NOT play 4K HDR @24Hz using certain services even if they have "Match Frame Rate" turned on as every service decides how their service will be supported from one device to another. So, a streamer will have to adjust output to accommodate the 60Hz only presentation of a given service's content . The Apple TV 4K doesn't support 24Hz playback without HDR in some apps and if there is an SDR conversion to fit within the bandwidth of a 4K Standard port the video will playback in 4K SDR @60Hz 4:2:0 8 bit. Many people watch 24fps content that is being output at 60Hz without even knowing it. Many don't have TVs that support eARC and will give up audio performance to deal with the limited video performance of the Sony ports if the other four are taken and they need to connect to the TV.

Ok, so forget Oppo. Say you only have Sony devices. You have a Sony A90J TV, PS5 and Sony UBP-X800 or X800M2 and use the TV's apps to stream from services. You want the Sony Secret Sound Sauce from HDMI ports #3 and #6 on your new STR-AZ7000ES for both devices. You will be forced to connect the PS5 to the #3 port to get 4K @120Hz. You will then connect the X800/X800M2 to the #6 port. It is a 4K Standard(9 Gbps) port. 4K HDR10 discs output at 24Hz and the Sony machines will output that video in 4K HDR10 @24Hz 4:4:4 12 bit automatically when connected to 4K Enhanced(18Gbps) ports set to 4K Enhanced Mode. But, when connected to a 4K Standard port, will have to do some color subsampling and bit drops to 4K HDR10 4:2:2 8 bit even with 24Hz output. There is a reason Dolby Vision discs have RGB 8 bit 4:4:4 @24Hz signals. Those are some ridiculous limitations and work arounds concerning very expensive Sony gear to sample Sony Secret Sound Sauce.

If there are any still confused by the issue, just know that a 4K HDMI 2.0 port may be a limited 4K Standard(9 Gbps) port or a 4K Enhanced(18 Gbps) port. You need 18Gbps to avoid issues with HDMI 2.0 devices that support 18 Gbps Sony should have labeled those two ports "4K Standard", not just "4K". If you are still rocking a 1080p setup including an Oppo BDP-93, a "fat" PS3 1st Gen and Pioneer Kuro plasma TV and just want a 5.1.5.3 Sony 360 Reality Audio speaker configuration, well, the Sony STR-AZ7000ES is the receiver for you and you should have no issues.

P.S. There are two 4K disc movies presented in 60fps but they aren't very good.:confused:
Please stop spreading false information because just looks like you hate Sony. I already ask Sony and they say "HDMI 5 & 6 are HDMI 2.0b with 18 gbps support" and in another question they confirmed "HDMI 1, 2, 3 & 4 are HDMI 2.1 with 48 gbps support".

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Please stop spreading false information because just looks like you hate Sony. I already ask Sony and they say "HDMI 5 & 6 are HDMI 2.0b with 18 gbps support" and in another question they confirmed "HDMI 1, 2, 3 & 4 are HDMI 2.1 with 48 gbps support".
Unless you get in writing from CS, Caveat emptor.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I do not hate Sony. I've owned Sony products. I loved my little Sony Trinitron TV. I loved my 1st Gen PS3 60Gb. I love my Sony UBP-X800. Ok, I only kinda' like my basic Sony turntable. I've posted info taken right from Sony's manuals and Web Guides and have made nothing up. My remarks are based on Sony's own information regarding their new AVRs.

Let's talk about ports #5 and #6. They are limited to the feature set of 4K Standard 9Gbps ports even if Sony supposedly says they are 18Gbps and is allowed to label them 4K without stating if they are in fact 4K Enhanced 18Gbps ports or 4K Standard 9Gbps ports. Sony's materials say they have 4K Standard limits. That would be the first time I've seen an 18Gbps port limited to 9Gbps port specs on any new AVR.

Now, let's talk about the supposed 48Gbps ports. Sony's own materials state that 4K @120Hz 4:4:4(RGB) 12 BIT is NOT supported UNLESS it is compressed using DSC. If the ports supported 48Gbps the signal would NOT have to be compressed. The 40Gbps limit means UNCOMPRESSED signals up to 4K @120Hz 4:4:4(RGB) 10 BIT are supported and anything higher requires compression(DSC) to work. Many are gaming in 4K @120Hz and pay no mind to the color subsampling or color bit drops that may be in play to make everything work within the bandwidth limits of their particular system. The device port with the least capabilities will force every other device in the system to work within its limitations. This is why Sony recommends changing ports when things don't work on ports #5 and #6. Compression(DSC) will come into play to squeeze signals into limited bandwidth tunnels ONLY if DSC is supported by every device in the chain. Sony didn't even spend the money to put 40Gbps ports on the PS5. It supports 32Gbps. I doubt Sony went the extra mile on the AVRs when their own console is even more limited than a 40Gbps port and does not support DSC. The PS5 owners are capped at 4K @120HZ 4:2:2 10 BIT or 4:4:4 8 BIT uncompressed.

I'm not pulling this stuff out of my a$$. I'm just going over what Sony has printed in their own manuals and web guide. If ANYBODY was poised to get this s#%t right the first time, it was Sony. They are not a stranger to PCs, Game Consoles, Smart devices, AVRs or TVs. I wanted to see them back in the game. If their product information is incorrect, they need to fix it but quick. If everything they have printed is correct regarding each and every new model, well, they just plain f#%ked it up. No amount of amazement resulting from 360 Reality Audio processing or the Sony Secret Sound Sauce from HDMI ports #3 and #6 can make up for it. I'm happy with my current AVR. I didn't go crazy this last time around as I was experimenting with HDMI 2.1. I'm glad I didn't overspend. But, I'll tell ya'. The first company to offer an AVR with 48Gbps HDMI ports all the way around that supports not just some, but ALL of the features of HDMI 2.1 will get my money. But, a TV with a 12 bit panel, an ATSC3.0 tuner and 48Gbps HDMI ports that also support every feature will have to be available as well or forget it.

Until Sony prints otherwise, I'm going to assume their materials are correct. I'm not the only guy hanging around this joint who has had a miserable experience with CS because the idiot on the other end wasn't up to speed. Onkyo put out some manuals not too long ago that were incorrect concerning certain models. They fixed them. Yamaha fixed their manuals after firmware updates activated long overdue features. Again, if Sony's materials are incorrect, they need to be fixed. If they are correct, forums such as this will soon fill up with posts from folks who just can't seem to get things working correctly when connecting certain devices to certain HDMI ports..

Here's hoping somebody does some serious digging into these AVRs and posts the results soon. There really shouldn't be any issues, limitations or misinformation concerning a 3K flagship AVR in 2023. But, that's all on Sony and any other manufacturer producing these machines with big price tags.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would expect all HDMI 2.1 ports at this price range. Maybe 48g is too much to ask for but at least 40g on all ports. :)

it’s really lame that port 5 and 6 are not HDMI 2.1 on these.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too bad you weren't named Richard instead of Bill. It would certainly suit you better. :p
Not as much as it would suit you. How many forums have you been banned from for sharing your Mr know it all depth of knowledge and abrasive lord helmet ways? Just waiting for you to turn this into a scatmos Auro lesson.
My dads name was Richard. He was a dikk.
So are you, von magnum XL.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Now it's your chance to ask Sony questions about their new 2023 AV receivers during our livestream event on March 27th at 8pm EST.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, you know what to ask them about their new receivers.;)

A

Alternatives

Audiophyte
Please I want Audioholics to review the Sony-az7000es and pop the lid too. I am getting a unit soon but I really want to see a Review on it. I believe it's just as Good as Yamaha Aventage Receivers however Sony probably does better than Yamaha with Music "More Lively"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Please I want Audioholics to review the Sony-az7000es and pop the lid too. I am getting a unit soon but I really want to see a Review on it. I believe it's just as Good as Yamaha Aventage Receivers however Sony probably does better than Yamaha with Music "More Lively"
Anyone can say that they think one AVR sounds better than another. That’s just hearsay.

I am sure Yamaha fans can say the same thing about how they think their Yamaha sound better.

Just be happy as long as you can get the sound you want from your AVR using the optimal setup for your system.

How’s Sony customer service? Have you given them a call to test them out? Ask them what they can do for you if your Sony dies in 4 years and 11 months into the warranty period. Just to test them out.

A

Alternatives

Audiophyte
Anyone can say that they think one AVR sounds better than another. That’s just hearsay.

I am sure Yamaha fans can say the same thing about how they think their Yamaha sound better.

Just be happy as long as you can get the sound you want from your AVR using the optimal setup for your system.

How’s Sony customer service? Have you given them a call to test them out? Ask them what they can do for you if your Sony dies in 4 years and 11 months into the warranty period. Just to test them out.
I have no idea what Sony's Customer Service is like, probably the same as Samsungs. I went to a local Electronics Store, they're getting the units in in April. Sony's AZ7000ES should last as it's their Flagship Model.

A

Alternatives

Audiophyte
I don't like the way my 9 year old Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 sounds for music, Bass is muddy and the high frequencies are rolled off to soon. The Sony will be better. That's all I can say for now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Yamaha RX-A3080 sounds just as good for music to me as my $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI and $4,000 ATI AT3007 amp.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I don't like the way my 9 year old Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 sounds for music, Bass is muddy and the high frequencies are rolled off to soon. The Sony will be better. That's all I can say for now.
I have 2 Sony AVRs and two Denon AVRs - and they all sound good. If your system doesn't sound good, look to your room, speaker placement, or the speakers and Subs before the AVR. My systems sound different because they are in different rooms and have different speakers and / or subs. The one with the best speakers and multiple Subs does sound better. And so it should.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis