So just what is it that bothers our maga folk about transgender particularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jinjuku

jinjuku

We try to do all of that at the same time. And your medical expenses are ridiculously expensive with poor outcome for the population at large.
I agree. Our health care isn't where it should be.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think what will happen, like in Europe, is that the efficacy of the affirmative gender care model will come into question. New guidelines established on the facts and not fervor.
No argument with that.

Lesbians will stop being called transphobic for having non-penile, non-xy chromosome preference, anyone that questions or has questions about the realities of sex and infinite gender identities wont' be labeled phobic and bigot and we can all get along and move along.
Or that.

I never had a problem until I refused to address a male as she/her. I won't do it personally at the end of a spear and I'm not into lying either. Now non-sex related pro-nouns are a different matter. Unfortunately it makes me a bigot to some.
So, how do you figure out what pronouns to use when you encounter someone you don't know? Do you, like, cop a feel first?

I've never - knowingly - met a transgender person, so your advice in this matter would be appreciated.:D

Signed, Your's truly, a Dem that took 4 semesters of biology and 2 of chem enough to be able to read, comprehend, and think for myself.
That's all very nice, but still misses the original point, which was rhetorical, rather than sophistic.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are saying refugees. I said illegal immigrants. Talk about dog whistles.
If you want to talk about semantics, be my guest.

My point is that we managed and manage to take care of a very large influx of people far in excess what you have on your southern border, with the latest caused by the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Now that is a typical dog whistle argument, to use your own words. In EU/EES we've had several large waves of refugees arriving here in the last decade but we still manage to feed them and give them health care, but of course, there are problems to be solved.

We try to do all of that at the same time. And your medical expenses are ridiculously expensive with poor outcome for the population at large.

Poverty rates across nations depends on the definition used and should be interpreted carefully. I don't know where your numbers comes from but if your statistics is a percentage of median wage that will be misleading. What is not included in such a statistics is basic services like health care that in so many countries is universal.

I dunno, Europe as a whole is far more diverse than USA, and larger than USA.
Our health care costs are insanely high because of greed, allowed by the government. Also, and it applies directly to the problems I'm having with my knee, cancer treatment for several friends & relatives and if someone wants to look further, the US health care industry doesn't always do what's needed and often, they do less because they won't lose as much in malpractice lawsuits.

How is health care funded in Europe? Higher taxation. What is the average unemployment rate and income in European countries? We could also compare the education systems.

I don't know if you heard the comment from Mitt Romney that likely cost him the election, but he said that roughly 47% in the US don't pay income tax. As the link notes, he was right about the percentage but wrong about the reasons they don't pay- it's because of low income, not loopholes (which can allow people to skirt taxation, but generally not if they're below the top income brackets). The US has millions of people working minimum wage jobs and they can't afford higher taxation, so it's up to the middle and high income people to pay.

Congress is unlikely to make changes in taxation and regulation in many areas because they won't be re-elected and they would lose money from lobbyists.

highfigh

highfigh

My point is that we managed and manage to take care of a very large influx of people far in excess what you have on your southern border, with the latest caused by the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine.
I hope none of the European immigrants do anything like this guy, who was deported four times before the shooting.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've never - knowingly - met a transgender person, so your advice in this matter would be appreciated.:D
I've met a few and generally using their name is acceptable. The 'women can have penises' is where I diverge.

Unfortunately of the few I've met they have co-morbidity and I can't say that I would welcome a friendship as I honestly believe it would be taxing to meet the friendship needs, the give and take, that normative friendships usually have. One I met at the University (always in the library, obviously male presenting feminine). Has a daughter, was married, semi-homeless. Only wanted to stay in the female shelter (not allowed).

I felt for this person but wasn't going to try and engage in a friendship. Did coffee and lunch a few times and then the pages long emails started... Nope.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You are the one that changed the semantic context. If you believe that all immigrants are refugee's then I understand our difficulties in having a frank conversation.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Our health care costs are insanely high because of greed, allowed by the government. Also, and it applies directly to the problems I'm having with my knee, cancer treatment for several friends & relatives and if someone wants to look further, the US health care industry doesn't always do what's needed and often, they do less because they won't lose as much in malpractice lawsuits.
I can assure you that greed is very much alive here as well.

How is health care funded in Europe? Higher taxation. What is the average unemployment rate and income in European countries? We could also compare the education systems.
With taxation, regulations, laws and the requirement that everyone is included. In the end it really is much cheaper and we get much better health care (in general). poop does happen, though, with bad outcome, but seldom.

Do note that there are significant differences in how universal health care is implemented in EU.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are the one that changed the semantic context. If you believe that all immigrants are refugee's then I understand our difficulties in having a frank conversation.
My post that you replied to had two sentences but you missed the last one:

"My point is that we managed and manage to take care of a very large influx of people far in excess what you have on your southern border, with the latest caused by the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine."

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I can assure you that greed is very much alive here as well.

With taxation, regulations, laws and the requirement that everyone is included. In the end it really is much cheaper and we get much better health care (in general). poop does happen, though, with bad outcome, but seldom.

Do note that there are significant differences in how universal health care is implemented in EU.
And less anxiety in people wondering what will happen to them if they have health issues.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My post that you replied to had two sentences but you missed the last one:

"My point is that we managed and manage to take care of a very large influx of people far in excess what you have on your southern border, with the latest caused by the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine."
I wasn't responding to your pivot post.

jinjuku

jinjuku

And as you said:

"I dunno, Europe as a whole is far more diverse than USA, and larger than USA. "

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
And as you said:

"I dunno, Europe as a whole is far more diverse than USA, and larger than USA. "
You are deflecting on the point of "larger" when EU/EES as well as USA are advanced economies, for the purpose, of the "largely" same size, with EU/EES very diverse.

Your "illegal immigrant" problem is a dog whistle, a term that you introduced.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've met a few and generally using their name is acceptable. The 'women can have penises' is where I diverge.

Unfortunately of the few I've met they have co-morbidity and I can't say that I would welcome a friendship as I honestly believe it would be taxing to meet the friendship needs, the give and take, that normative friendships usually have. One I met at the University (always in the library, obviously male presenting feminine). Has a daughter, was married, semi-homeless. Only wanted to stay in the female shelter (not allowed).

I felt for this person but wasn't going to try and engage in a friendship. Did coffee and lunch a few times and then the pages long emails started... Nope.
I get the unease with someone who wants to keep a foot in both sexes. At least sanity prevailed in this instance:
Estheticians don't have to wax male genitalia against their will, B.C. tribunal rules | CBC News

I have a friend who is a high school teacher, quite "progressive" and very indulgent on gender politics. We recently fell into a discussion on the topic and I asked her opinion on JK Rowling. I can't recall her exact words, but she found JKR's stance problematic. I said, "Don't you think it's odd that a person as progressive as Rowling appears to have just one target for bigotry - transgender people? If there is one main theme to be found in the Harry Potter books, it's about accepting and empathizing with people/beings who are different and who don't conform with the norm."

I told her about the incident in the article I linked.
I also told her about this: Isla Bryson: What is the transgender prisoners row all about? - BBC News
And this: Forced to share a room with transgender woman in Toronto shelter, sex abuse victim files human rights complaint | National Post

She wasn't aware of these incidents - probably because the further from centre that you stand on the political spectrum, the more likely you are to exist in an informational silo. I think I gave her some food for thought.

If anyone thinks I would gives carte blanche to trans activists, that is not the case. I do believe that empathy and compassion go a long way though. Every case of transgenderism has its own merits - or not - and should be judged on those alone, not arbitrary restrictions enacted by politicians, nor agendas set by radical activists.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

I don't know if you heard the comment from Mitt Romney that likely cost him the election, but he said that roughly 47% in the US don't pay income tax. As the link notes, he was right about the percentage but wrong about the reasons they don't pay- it's because of low income, not loopholes (which can allow people to skirt taxation, but generally not if they're below the top income brackets). The US has millions of people working minimum wage jobs and they can't afford higher taxation, so it's up to the middle and high income people to pay.

Congress is unlikely to make changes in taxation and regulation in many areas because they won't be re-elected and they would lose money from lobbyists.
As I understand it, administration costs are a huge contributor to overall health care costs in the US, due to the number of insurance companies involved.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You are deflecting on the point of "larger" when EU/EES as well as USA are advanced economies, for the purpose, of the "largely" same size, with EU/EES very diverse.

Your "illegal immigrant" problem is a dog whistle, a term that you introduced.
Apparently for TX is a almost a $1 billion a year dog whistle.

You pointed out that EU is larger and takes in more population. Color me unsurprised.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
jinjuku

jinjuku

1683308615677.png

Those are the bottom line numbers. Hardly a rounding error.

Let's put this into an individual person numbers:

Say you make $370K a year and $359K goes right back out. Do you think $1K is a rounding error?

Its ~10% of the surplus that TX is able to maintain. You've got balls calling me ignorant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis