Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

D

DemiSlayer

Junior Audioholic
Whats the most power everyone is sending to these. Im currently running in stereo of a single ep2500. I try to run in bridged but the sub is bottoming out.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You really don't need more than 500 WPC. You send to much to them and you can bottom them out or smoke a voice coil. If you need more output you either need bigger subs, more subs, or a different type of sub(s).

D

DemiSlayer

Junior Audioholic
Any recommendations for a sub replacement with more power handling? Been looking at the dayton 12 Ho fs 31hz 700/1200 rms/peak

jinjuku

jinjuku

Any recommendations for a sub replacement with more power handling? Been looking at the dayton 12 Ho fs 31hz 700/1200 rms/peak
Why? The Kappa build will already blow your eardrums out. If you really need to step up it's not going to be with a two or three hundred dollar driver. You will want to start looking at the LMS series of sub from TC Sounds.

Matt34

Matt34

You could put a JL W7 in place of the Kappa but I don't think the price/performance improvement is worth it.

D

DemiSlayer

Junior Audioholic
Main reason is one of them is blown apart and the other is starting to come apart. I currently have kicker cvx 12s in place with one amp per sub and it works tho would like to run one of the amps to the thts

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You could put a JL W7 in place of the Kappa but I don't think the price/performance improvement is worth it.
As I understand the kappa perfect drivers are not available for purchase anymore, so I guess anyways for new builds... other drivers will have to be selected.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Main reason is one of them is blown apart and the other is starting to come apart.
Listening Slayer on max volumes will do this to your subs ;):D

If so - as mentioned above, your should step up should be LMS Ultra drivers and dual or subs - depends on your room size
These will take any abuse you throw at them, provided you have solid amps

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I put a JL 12W7AE in place of my kappa perfect and it blows the kappa away! Not even in the same league.... I have another W7 and am having another box being built right now... even got me some 8lb mineral wool for it!

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I got 2 of them for $568 a piece... expensive but worth it in my opinion.... even with just 1 of these in my large living room (25' x 19' x 8') the bass during immmortals and real steel was insane and my crown xls2500 amp wasnt even clipping.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I got 2 of them for $568 a piece... expensive but worth it in my opinion.... even with just 1 of these in my large living room (25' x 19' x 8') the bass during immmortals and real steel was insane and my crown xls2500 amp wasnt even clipping.
And your ears, were they clipping? :p

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
My ears weren't complaining I am a big bass head! I cant wait to get the other one up and running!

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a while now and decided its finally time to start my build. I'm new to custom subs for home theater use, so my knowledge on the electronics that are available is very limited. I realize that this build is focused on the single voice coil version of these subs, and unfortunately the ones I have are the dual 4 ohm voice coil versions, which in its mobile platform can be wired up to either a 2 or 8-ohm load. Like I said, my knowledge of home theater electronics is very limited, but I was hoping someone on here could help.

What other components should I invest in to get two of these bad boys running at the ideal specs?

Thanks,

Patrick

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just make sure your amp can handle a 2 ohm load. I'd get a beefy one like a Crown or Peavey IPR just to be safe.

The box design will work fine. Of course their are other options these days that are simpler to build depending on your budget.

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
Would you be able to point me in the direction of some other designs suitable for my drivers? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff! I don't really like asking for handouts, it's just I want to make sure if I'm spending the money/time on this, I'm going to spend it on the proper equipment and design that is suitable for my drivers.

Thanks

pmcenaney

pmcenaney

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking at the Peavey IPR 1600, and it's definitely more in my price range compared to a Crown amp. It's rated for 2x 900watts RMS @ 2 ohms, does that sound like something that would be suitable for my setup? To me it looks good, but I'm not the experienced one here... haha

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis