Enthusiast
JL 13w6v2

can a JL 13w6v2 work in this cabinet?

here's the T/S parameters:
(Fs): 24.3 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.464
Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 6.700
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.434
Equiv. Compliance (Vas): 3.94 ft3 (111.6 litres)
One-way, Linear Excursion: 0.85 in.
(Xmax)* 21.6 mm
Efficiency (1W/1m)**: 87.4 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area (Sd): 100.4 in2 ( 0.0648 m2)
DC Resistance (Re)***: 6.50
Nominal Impedance: Dual 4
Power Handling (continuous): 750W
Mounting Depth: 9.2 in
Mounting Hole Diameter: 12.5 in
Driver Displacement: 0.120 ft3 (3.4 litres)

the mounting depth is bit shorter than a 12w7 and the driver displacement is slightly bigger than the 12vq. wacha guys think?

tried to enter the T/S parameter in windisd but it does not seem to accept it.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The full driver data for the Kappa 120.9 has been released. After careful analysis, I have great news. The driver operates superbly in this cabinet. It also can take more power without exceeding excursion limits, as compared to the Kappa VQ. You should get nearly identical performance as compared to the Perfect, or very close to it. This new Kappa is substantially higher in build quality as compared to previous plain non 'Perfect' designated Kappa units. It appears this new Kappa is a replacement for the Kappa Perfect, as it was introduced soon after discontinuation of the Kappa Perfect series of subwoofers. This plus the sudden radical increase in build quality and specifications, signals this is probably the new flagship driver. Price is very reasonable. You can purchase this driver, as the time of this posting, for as little as $140 USD; including shipping.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
can a JL 13w6v2 work in this cabinet?

here's the T/S parameters:
(Fs): 24.3 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.464
Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 6.700
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.434
Equiv. Compliance (Vas): 3.94 ft3 (111.6 litres)
One-way, Linear Excursion: 0.85 in.
(Xmax)* 21.6 mm
Efficiency (1W/1m)**: 87.4 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area (Sd): 100.4 in2 ( 0.0648 m2)
DC Resistance (Re)***: 6.50
Nominal Impedance: Dual 4
Power Handling (continuous): 750W
Mounting Depth: 9.2 in
Mounting Hole Diameter: 12.5 in
Driver Displacement: 0.120 ft3 (3.4 litres)

the mounting depth is bit shorter than a 12w7 and the driver displacement is slightly bigger than the 12vq. wacha guys think?

tried to enter the T/S parameter in windisd but it does not seem to accept it.
The 12w6v2 works perfectly in this cabinet. Unless you already have the 13" version, I recommend purchasing and using the 12" version. If it is the case you already have the 13" version, I will examine all aspects of performance for you and provide a proper answer.

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The full driver data for the Kappa 120.9 has been released. After careful analysis, I have great news. The driver operates superbly in this cabinet. It also can take more power without exceeding excursion limits, as compared to the Kappa VQ. You should get nearly identical performance as compared to the Perfect, or very close to it. This new Kappa is substantially higher in build quality as compared to previous plain non 'Perfect' designated Kappa units. It appears this new Kappa is a replacement for the Kappa Perfect, as it was introduced soon after discontinuation of the Kappa Perfect series of subwoofers. This plus the sudden radical increase in build quality and specifications, signals this is probably the new flagship driver. Price is very reasonable. You can purchase this driver, as the time of this posting, for as little as $140 USD; including shipping.

-Chris
That's fantastic to hear Chris. It means I can offer folks a low cost build again that's already designed.

jinjuku

jinjuku

This plus the sudden radical increase in build quality and specifications, signals this is probably the new flagship driver.
-Chris
What would you say is the radical increase in build quality. I thought the last Kappa Perfect 12VQ was well built driver.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
What would you say is the radical increase in build quality. I thought the last Kappa Perfect 12VQ was well built driver.
I was referring to the change in build/design compared to previous 'non-perfect' Kappas. This is the first non-Perfect to use the same high standards of design/construction as the Perfects.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
wow that is one ugly looking speaker.
It really is a hate it or love it look, I suppose. It is at least the real deal in materials, and not some cheezy printed simulation on the cone.

-Chris

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja

-Chris
I may have more to report on this driver during the summer. Currently, there is a paint booth in my garage to finish a variety of projects, including the speakers I started 2-3 years ago :eek:. Once all this is done, I might actually paint the not so simple Kappa I built long ago (the one that spurred this thread). Of course, I no longer have the driver, if this new one drops right in I will probably pick it up and try it out assuming I can find a use for it. If not, the cabinet will be seeking a good home.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I may have more to report on this driver during the summer. Currently, there is a paint booth in my garage to finish a variety of projects, including the speakers I started 2-3 years ago :eek:. Once all this is done, I might actually paint the not so simple Kappa I built long ago (the one that spurred this thread). Of course, I no longer have the driver, if this new one drops right in I will probably pick it up and try it out assuming I can find a use for it. If not, the cabinet will be seeking a good home.
As I am very familar with your projects, I recommend you high pass the 3 way monitors you are making at about 45-50Hz (the SP10 driver will produce extreme output at 50Hz and above), and low pass to the 'not so simple' sub below this point. Using a 24dB slope, it will be easy to use the sub and probably have no localization issues, but instead, simply give a super clean, dynamic extension to 20Hz.

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's my tap ease friends I see. :D I know the feeling of finally getting some work done.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
As I am very familar with your projects, I recommend you high pass the 3 way monitors you are making at about 45-50Hz (the SP10 driver will produce extreme output at 50Hz and above), and low pass to the 'not so simple' sub below this point. Using a 24dB slope, it will be easy to use the sub and probably have no localization issues, but instead, simply give a super clean, dynamic extension to 20Hz.

-Chris
That would be more enticing if it didn't require another amp and crossover to get the sub power and integrated properly. Plus, the speakers will be within 1-1.5 meters of my seating position used 95% of the time for music. I just don't know if I will need more sub in this situation.

W

weng

Enthusiast
The 12w6v2 works perfectly in this cabinet. Unless you already have the 13" version, I recommend purchasing and using the 12" version. If it is the case you already have the 13" version, I will examine all aspects of performance for you and provide a proper answer.

-Chris
thanks chris. i don't have the 13w6v2 yet but saw a used one selling for $215. i'm still scouting for another driver to complete a dual kappa sub project. i already have a 12dvq.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
That would be more enticing if it didn't require another amp and crossover to get the sub power and integrated properly. Plus, the speakers will be within 1-1.5 meters of my seating position used 95% of the time for music. I just don't know if I will need more sub in this situation.
With that seating distance, and if in a medium size room (no bigger than 15 x 15), you can just extend the SP10 to about 30-35Hz using DCX correction filter and use no sub, and you will plenty of dynamic capability for music. I'm assuming you have a minimum of about 500 watts for each SP10.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
thanks chris. i don't have the 13w6v2 yet but saw a used one selling for $215. i'm still scouting for another driver to complete a dual kappa sub project. i already have a 12dvq.
Given your situation and stated budget. I would just buy two Kappa 120.9 drivers and use these, for exact matching subs. The 120.9 should match and even slightly exceed the Kappa VQ in this cabinet. IT will have substantially higher power capacity without hitting excursion limits.

-Chris

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
go over to the classifieds on caraudioforum.com there are always plenty of subs for sale on there, some really good deals to be had too.

W

weng

Enthusiast
Given your situation and stated budget. I would just buy two Kappa 120.9 drivers and use these, for exact matching subs. The 120.9 should match and even slightly exceed the Kappa VQ in this cabinet. IT will have substantially higher power capacity without hitting excursion limits.

-Chris
how about a 120.9 or a jl12w6v2 perhaps to pair with the 12dvq, will they work in a dual sub setup?

also, are two identical passive subs ideal (individually enclosed) if only powered by an external mono amp? the amp is stable at 4 ohms with the 2 dual-4 subs in series-parallel.

W

weng

Enthusiast
go over to the classifieds on caraudioforum.com there are always plenty of subs for sale on there, some really good deals to be had too.
thanks for the tip but i live on the other side of the world. i still have another option to complete a dual simple kappa build setup by ditching the 12dvq and getting two used 12W7 but a bit out of my budget at the moment.

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
2 12VQ + 2 120.9w?

I already build 2 Kappa’s 12VQ that are in the back of the room.(Pics) (If I put them on the front I get a big dip >20db between 30hz-60hz in the second row of seats) Now, if I add two more subs (120.9w) in the front will this works good or could I have problems because of the different drivers?. Also can I drive all of then with 1 ep2500 ?(each pair connected in parallel = 2ohm load?) I know that I am not using the ep2500 to full power (-9 sub out in the receiver) and I now I am not driven very hard the amp ( the subs are calibrated to the second row of seats ), but I will like to have the same impact in the front row of seats, and maybe 2 more on the front will get me there. (I have great impact in the second row, but not enough in the front, and if I calibrate to have this impact in the front row, it will be too much in the second row...

Any thoughts?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I already build 2 Kappa’s 12VQ that are in the
You can add two more subs using the Kappa 120.9 drivers, and you will not hve any problems. I would recommend getting another amp for the new subs, though, as to take advantage of the full dynamic range capability.

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis