Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I just got 2 nearly new 12.1's for 150 shipped :) Can I get by without the DCX EX for a while or is it a must have?

also I see on B&H camera an EP2500 for 285 shipped new.. is that a pretty good deal? i see used ones on enay going for 200 plus / plus shipping for 25 bucks.. so a few bucks more for new seems decent.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I just got 2 nearly new 12.1's for 150 shipped :) Can I get by without the DCX EX for a while or is it a must have?

also I see on B&H camera an EP2500 for 285 shipped new.. is that a pretty good deal? i see used ones on enay going for 200 plus / plus shipping for 25 bucks.. so a few bucks more for new seems decent.
I suggest going new when you can. But I like to browse craigslist for amps. It's amazing what old DJ's and studios put up for sale sometimes.

The DCX is by far the best investment you can ever make for your sound system. It's capabilities are ridiculous. Save up and get one if you can.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
can I go without for a while before I get the DCX?
You need some type of high-pass filter. to prevent your sub from bottoming out and blowing up on you.

I suggest a Reckhorn B-1 if you're on a tight budget.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
thats about 100 as apposed to 285ish for the other.. well i have some time while I build the boxes to save. Do you guys give phone support on the set up? lol i am more of a visual person reading the instructions some how does not click for me.. Also do you have to have the software on the pc and stuff?

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
ok, I just finished reading the whole thread again now that I'm serious about the build.. and what is the deal with the fan noise on the ep2500? and how hard and costly is it to do th emodification?

Thank you :)

J

jambam

Audiophyte
filter question

I have built my kappa's and would like to check if a 18db/oct filter set at 18Hz is sufficient to protect the driver from over excursion.

Actual response using REW

Sorry if I cannot post the image as I am still below the 5 min post ..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have built my kappa's and would like to check if a 18db/oct filter set at 18Hz is sufficient to protect the driver from over excursion.

htt_://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq327/edpenas_1/filter.jpg

Thanks
Not in my opinion.

a 4th order filter at 20hz is what I suggest, but a 2nd order buttersworth will work ok. You will want to use an active crossover. Which you can try to build or buy. I suggest you buy it unless you're really good with electronics.

If you have the DCX it can set the appropriate filter.

Don't chase the low stuff too much. It's a common mistake.

J

jambam

Audiophyte
Thanks .. I am actually have an audiocontrol EQX lying around w/c includes a programmable high pass filter and crossover .

I will need to get/build a new resistor network to set it to a 20hz HP 3rd order.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks
That's a nice response.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
MY Bad:eek:

The REW graph I showed is the filter response not the sub .... Sorry for not being clear
Makes a lot more sense because that's basically a perfect response graph.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It seems the Kappa Perfect 12" VQ is may no be longer available. I just spoke with an eBay power seller and the units have been on back order for months now.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It seems the Kappa Perfect 12" VQ is may no be longer available. I just spoke with an eBay power seller and the units have been on back order for months now.
Yeah it's been discontinued.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

I called Harmon International and they are supposedly redoing the web site this weekend.

The tech couldn't find the T/S parms in any of his systems that he had access to. Just gotta wait.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to be helping my friend do the kappa build soon, but we are going to use 12W6V2 subs instead of kappas, but I need to know what is different for using the JL instead of the Infinity as far as box/port dimensions since the JL is deeper. If anyone could provide me with the cut list it would be much appreciated as we want to get this built very soon.

W

weng

Enthusiast
Low Q Insert

hi,

i am about to purchase a used kappa perfect 12dvq (dual 4 ohms) but unfortunately the Low Q insert is the one installed in the sub driver. the owner can't locate anymore the Mid Q insert.

Basing on the spec sheet 12VQ 12DVQ
Motor Force Factor BL w/LowQ Insert 15.55 11.86
w/MidQ Insert 12.19 9.6
w/No Insert 9.67 8.28

will the Motor Force Factor of the 12DVQ with LoQ at 11.86 is just right compared to the 12VQ MidQ at 12.19? will this setup still works with the kappa perfect box?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis