Simple 12" Infinity Kappa VQ MidQ Plans

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
You don't need a FBQ with a DCX. The DCX does everything the FBQ does and much more.

You can do at least 8 bands of Eq per output with adjustable "q" from .1-10.0 and nearly anyfrequency you want from 20hz-20Khz. You can also set limiters if needed as well as adjust input/ouput gain settings. It is an extremely flexible crossover too.
You know guys I posted without really thinking ,I only have a DCX as I hoped that would be all I needed along with the EP 2500 I dont have the FBQ that was another poster that has that unit I'm sorry for the confusion,I thought you were asking about the Dcx lsiberian please excuse me for not reading your post more clearly sometimes the eyes and mind dont click...Thank you too annunaki for your informative post and I would like to say that when I'm ready to give it a go I really might need some more advice to get it going at first Thanks again...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You know guys I posted without really thinking ,I only have a DCX as I hoped that would be all I needed along with the EP 2500 I dont have the FBQ that was another poster that has that unit I'm sorry for the confusion,I thought you were asking about the Dcx lsiberian please excuse me for not reading your post more clearly sometimes the eyes and mind dont click...Thank you too annunaki for your informative post and I would like to say that when I'm ready to give it a go I really might need some more advice to get it going at first Thanks again...
Wow I just realized that. I've been drinking some good koolaid hehe.:D

F

FNG212

Audioholic
Is it possible to integrate a plate amp into this build instead of the EP2500?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is it possible to integrate a plate amp into this build instead of the EP2500?
Honestly I think that's a bad idea. It's possible but cost wise you will end up paying about the same. For 350 you can get a really nice SSF and an ep2500.

With that you can drive 2 subs to their full potential.

If you want to do only one sub then I suppose a 500w O-Audio bash amp would work.

You will need to add space for it on the sub or build it it's own box.

M

macdon

Enthusiast
Good day to everyone,

I just wanna ask where you get your EP2500 from? Is it autovolt (110-240v)?

Here in Manila, a bnew EP1500 already costs about US$400:eek:

-Mardon

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
How would the Shiva x work with this box for the kappa. Has anyone tried it or modeled it?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
How would the Shiva x work with this box for the kappa. Has anyone tried it or modeled it?
It's very comparable.

I've modeled it extensively in the box. It would work very well in it.

C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
Im in the market for a new sub and was considering going with an svs pb-10nsd, then i stumbled upon this post.
My brother has 2 kappa perfect 12.1's in his car atm (fairly old so no vq's, but from reading here should be fine) that he doesnt use/want so i've been seriously considering giving this build a shot.
I would only use one of them and my main question is with the amp to use. i would rather use a plate amp such as the o audio bash 500 ive seen mentioned on here and am curious about mounting. in another thread i saw that they said this amp would work fine for a single, and i know in this thread it says not to mount it on the port, so that means mounting on the back is out, but what about on the side? looking at the amp specs it is only 2.5" deep and from looking at the box specs it looks to be over 4" from side to the side of the port, which seems like it should be ok, but would it cause any problems? from the looks of it this box is built to very exact specs so any foreign blocks i assume will change things. i know you can put it in its own box but that just seems weird to me having an external box for just the amp. any help is much appreciated.

edit just to add a little more info this will be going in a 5.1 system from an onkyo sr502 receiver which is why i would prefer a plate amp to keep things simple, and it will be used about 50/50 music movies. will be upgrading from a klipsch ksw-10 which is probably the worst purchase ive ever made.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Im in the market for a new sub and was considering going with an svs pb-10nsd, then i stumbled upon this post.
My brother has 2 kappa perfect 12.1's in his car atm (fairly old so no vq's, but from reading here should be fine) that he doesnt use/want so i've been seriously considering giving this build a shot.
I would only use one of them and my main question is with the amp to use. i would rather use a plate amp such as the o audio bash 500 ive seen mentioned on here and am curious about mounting. in another thread i saw that they said this amp would work fine for a single, and i know in this thread it says not to mount it on the port, so that means mounting on the back is out, but what about on the side? looking at the amp specs it is only 2.5" deep and from looking at the box specs it looks to be over 4" from side to the side of the port, which seems like it should be ok, but would it cause any problems? from the looks of it this box is built to very exact specs so any foreign blocks i assume will change things. i know you can put it in its own box but that just seems weird to me having an external box for just the amp. any help is much appreciated.

edit just to add a little more info this will be going in a 5.1 system from an onkyo sr502 receiver which is why i would prefer a plate amp to keep things simple, and it will be used about 50/50 music movies. will be upgrading from a klipsch ksw-10 which is probably the worst purchase ive ever made.
Build a separate box for the amp but incorporate it into the kappa by mounting it (the separate box) on the back of the kappa build.

If you mount it right you will have something to grab hold of when moving these bears around :)

C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
If you mount it right you will have something to grab hold of when moving these bears around :)
indeed, that may be the only discouraging factor here...2' cubed is HUGE...but with a little time and ~$300 it seems like i can get way more performance than dropping ~$500 on the svs. i need to gank a 2' squared box from work and just toss it somewhere for a while to get a feel for it.

C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
just a quick question if i were to use the o audio 500w, would that be all i would need? from what i understand it already has a infrasonic filter so i wouldnt need to worry about that or converting cables and could just run a single rca cable from my receiver to the amp and then the speaker wire interally to the sub. Is this correct? This is the main reason i am leaning towards this amp is its simplicity (if my assumptions are correct). Im not really concerned about getting the perfectly flat response curve and dont have the equipment to do so anyways, i just want something that will perform better than my crappy ksw-10. Any help is appreciated.

C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
well after thinking it over more i might just go with the ep2500 after all...was trying to save some cash but i just walked into a raise today and also realized i will be able to to much more with the ep2500.
will start a new thread if this project gets under way, which is a very good chance could be this weekend

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
If I go with the Shiva what would be the best size ported enclosure to build to get the absolute best out of this sub for HT?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
well after thinking it over more i might just go with the ep2500 after all...was trying to save some cash but i just walked into a raise today and also realized i will be able to to much more with the ep2500.
will start a new thread if this project gets under way, which is a very good chance could be this weekend
Isn't it a significant issue with fan noise from ep2500? have read about people changing to unoriginal fans to decrease fan noise, what to do with this?

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
is the kappa perfect 12.1 a good driver for this project? i may have an opportunity to get 2 of them. what would a reasonable price be?

J

jamie2112

Banned
is the kappa perfect 12.1 a good driver for this project? i may have an opportunity to get 2 of them. what would a reasonable price be?
It IS the driver for this project.You could pay anywhere from $150 to 200 for each........

C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
It IS the driver for this project.You could pay anywhere from $150 to 200 for each........
The 12.1 is actually different from the vq and is slightly less powerful. That being said, i made mine with a 12.1 that i had laying around and it sounds outstanding. I would definitly go with a vq if you have the choice but the 12.1s will work just fine.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
so if I could pick up 2 including shipping for 200 is that a pretty good deal for used? I have no idea what the market is for this stuff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis