Shrinking woofer sizes for hifi ?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
It's infuriating. So much of this is so subtle that people don't even notice.

I hadn't eaten cereal for years and went to get some since my kids asked for it. I couldn't believe how small the boxes had gotten over the years.

We get nickel and dimed to death on stuff like this.
Something else I've noticed . . . . bar soap no longer puts out anywhere near the bubbles that it used to.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It seems shrinking speakers each generation is the way speaker design is going .

but for the average consumer level speakers they are gone .
many models are 4-6.5 today
did brands like Bose kill them off ? And satellites model brands
Bose could not touch this ... and they were from the 90's and one of the few speakers that I regret selling ... and they went down to 60 hz ... and were neutral spounding -- Digital Phase AP.5 speakers with a 3 inch woofer

20170329_184633.jpg
20170329_181549.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Like I alluded to on the first page, I don't think it's so much a money thing as it is today's drivers are a lot more advanced. My current towers -3 dB is 41 hz with 5.5" bass drivers. I've owned a couple of different speakers with larger drivers that can't dig that deep. My older B&Ws had 8" woofers and wouldn't go down to 41 hz.
I will agree with you in principal. What we get out of current technology with speaker drivers is pretty cool. For a modest sum, we can get outstanding performance in a modest footprint. If we get antsy and want something bigger, well, there's somebody that will sell bigger drivers in bigger cabinets as well. If the wife gets pissed at the size, well, there's always the tiny drivers in the tiny speakers. For what we are paying, we get pretty incredible sound. Even if we step aside from the world of reality and go for the super duper super expensive stuff, many of those arrangements are driving 10's or more of mid sized drivers.

And it can all be augmented with a subwoofer tucked away out of sight somewhere if you don't feel like you're getting your sub bass stuff. We live in a time where we get a lot of sound for not a lot of money. At every price point it seems there's something worth considering. Or expressed another way, at every price point there's something audiophiles find worth arguing over and spitting nails at each other.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Is there any reason for massive towers when CEnter does almost everything? Or so the fronts have a lot of the total effects and sound ?
You could make a case center channels have shrunken a lot like typical woofers getting smaller , year by year . Some towers use 4-5” woofers !!!??
Just for you with two 3 inch woofers

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Bose could not touch this ... and they were from the 90's and one of the few speakers that I regret selling ... and they went down to 60 hz ... and were neutral spounding -- Digital Phase AP.5 speakers with a 3 inch woofer

View attachment 47576View attachment 47577
Wow impressive for a little speaker!!!
Just for you with two 3 inch woofers
Prob not much total output or air moved but to hit 35hz with those woofers is an incredible feat of engineering!!!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The new line just replaces the smaller SV6500, SV661, SV61.

The SV831/SV821/SV1212 are still the flagship.
Yeah ok, still though When? Talk is cheap, put up or Shut up! Post Photos!!!! We Need Photos of That New Line!! It's my money and I want Them Now!!! One more month if not than I'm calling Brian myself! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah ok, still though When? Talk is cheap, put up or Shut up! Post Photos!!!! We Need Photos of That New Line!! It's my money and I want Them Now!!! One more month if not than I'm calling Brian myself! :D
Brian has sort of retired. I talk to Duane these days. :D

Like you said before - slim pickings these days unfortunately. :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I talked to Duane and had an email exchange with him. Great guy, went out of his way for me looking up info on some old, old RBH speakers.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

@AcuDefTechGuy hey Pilgrim! I posted up your pet Cow on a Thread. You did say you was trying to sell your pet Cow right.

F2CF52FC-2AB4-4414-A04C-7D0734B018CF.jpeg

@aceine, Said he has Neighbors that have Pet Cows that he can go pet them anytime he wants, he's not interested in buying it from you. We chat latter Pilgrim. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@AcuDefTechGuy hey Pilgrim! I posted up your pet Cow on a Thread. You did say you was trying to sell your pet Cow right.

View attachment 47622
@aceine, Said he has Neighbors that have Pet Cows that he can go pet them anytime he wants, he's not interested in buying it from you. We chat latter Pilgrim. :D
Oh, no, that’s my pet cow! Can’t sell ole Bessy! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis